Newbie needs help with Ludwig snare ID - it was sold to me by GC as an Acrolite, but...

distantplanet

Reaction score
I just received a snare I bought off the Guitar Center used site that was listed as a "Ludwig Acrolite 5x14 - Chrome."

Here are the deets:
10-lugs, bowtie
chromed
pointy B/O badge, serial no. 1683596
NO internal muffler
strainer appears to be not original (no Ludwig branding)
butt plate has Ludwig branding
no sticker inside the shell
no date stamp inside the shell
there appears to be a welded seam running the depth of the shell, obscured by the chrome plating and one of the lugs from the front view

As a newbie, I know next to nothing about Ludwig snares. I searched for Acrolite online and have read that they (and the Supraphonic) have aluminum shells, with the Supras being chromed.

The hoops attract a magnet, but get this... so does the drum shell! So I believe I have a steel chromed snare that may or may not be a true Ludwig. Did Ludwig make steel snares with 10 bowtie lugs and the B/O badge? The badge doesn't look like it was transplanted from a different drum, but I don't really know for sure.

Can the Ludwig snare experts in the group help me ID this?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Definitely NOT an Acrolite, which would mean a seamless aluminum shell. Since this is a seamed steel shell, it's most likely an import. Not sure how they got the Blue/Olive badge, but I doubt it's original!

-Mark

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert but it looks to me like an import shell even possibly Pearl with Ludwig badge and bowtie lugs etc. I'm not sure why someone would go to all that trouble .....and like was mentioned above - if you paid under $110 for it and it sounds good I would think about keeping it. That price is my opinion only...you do what you think is correct.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’d expect to see the black/white Ludwig badge on this snare but not the blue/olive. As others have stated it’s not an Acrolite and it’s not a Supra.

distantplanet

Reaction score
Definitely NOT an Acrolite, which would mean a seamless aluminum shell. Since this is a seamed steel shell, it's most likely an import. Not sure how they got the Blue/Olive badge, but I doubt it's original!

-Mark
My thoughts too. The first giveaway something was up was its weight… heavier than aluminum.

distantplanet

Reaction score
Stick a magnet to it. Is it ally or steel? How’s it sound? If it sounds good, was it a price that makes it worth keeping? If it adds up, the rest is just details.
It’s definitely steel by the way a magnet sticks to it. It sounds good for a steel drum, but I don’t think it’s worth keeping for $200. I’m annoyed that this was from GC and I thought they’d know better than to pass a steel drum as an Acrolite.

distantplanet

Reaction score
I'm no expert but it looks to me like an import shell even possibly Pearl with Ludwig badge and bowtie lugs etc. I'm not sure why someone would go to all that trouble .....and like was mentioned above - if you paid under $110 for it and it sounds good I would think about keeping it. That price is my opinion only...you do what you think is correct.
I paid $200 thinking it was an Acrolite in “Excellent Condition.” Not only is it not an Acrolite, the bottom hoop has bent spots (indentations) so I wouldn’t call it in excellent condition.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I paid $200 thinking it was an Acrolite in “Excellent Condition.” Not only is it not an Acrolite, the bottom hoop has bent spots (indentations) so I wouldn’t call it in excellent condition.
Then I would get a complete refund if I were in your shoes.

distantplanet

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I've decided to return it to one of the GC stores in my area (Fairfax, VA).

Just in case it pops up again, beware of an advertised 10-lug chrome "Acrolite" with a B/O badge, serial no. 1683596

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's a decent drum in its own right. It's just not as advertised. The 10 Classic lugs and Ludwig wires can easily set you back $70 or more. Even the threaded air vent is worth $5! If the drum sounds good and you like, I'd try to work out a deal at 50% less than what you paid. Just some food for thought. Good luck with whatever you decide.

-Mark

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That appears to be a ludwig drum. The cap washers and lugs are a good sign. It is obviously modeled after a supra but could be a lower line drum.

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
Like others have said, not an acrolite. My guess is that is a Ludwig ss Rocker snare with a new strainer and a bo badge. Is there even such a thing as a 10 lug Acro? I thought acrolites were only 8 lug!