Newbie needs help with Ludwig snare ID - it was sold to me by GC as an Acrolite, but...

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
...could also be a generic shell someone stuck a bunch of Ludwig parts onto....that throw screams "Pearl".

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
...btw, welcome to the forum.
If you're purplexed enough, you could start a new thread, outling what you're looking for in a new snare drum. Maybe we can help you whittle down the field a little.
=)

Elvis

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I've decided to return it to one of the GC stores in my area (Fairfax, VA).

Just in case it pops up again, beware of an advertised 10-lug chrome "Acrolite" with a B/O badge, serial no. 1683596
Unfortunately, it absolutely will pop up again and the add will not be updated. They'll sell it to someone else as an Acrolite and the odds of that person finding out they've been ripped off will be low. I've seen GC do it a dozen times.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I definitely think it's one of these that someone slapped a 70's badge on. I don't think GC is going to have much luck getting rid of this one.

1627311376282.png

distantplanet

Reaction score

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep! It’s back on their site listed as an Acrolite. SMH
The machine at work again…
When they return a SKU it just repopulated in their database as being “in stock” — in order to change the description they would have to undertake a brand new operation and get a manager’s login approval (possibly the ops manager has to do it these days). Most people behind a counter at GC just aren’t interested enough to make it happen.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Like others have said, not an acrolite. My guess is that is a Ludwig ss Rocker snare with a new strainer and a bo badge. Is there even such a thing as a 10 lug Acro? I thought acrolites were only 8 lug!
Yes there have been a few 10-lug Acrolites in the wild. I think @mlayton probably has one or ten squirreled away!

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not an Acro.
If you paid $200 for a steel shelled Ludwig,you got ripped.
GC has a 45 day return.I'd take it back.

distantplanet

Reaction score
The first red flag was: "Acrolite, chrome"
I've read that there are some Acrolites that got chromed, and some that have 10-lugs... these may have been special ordered that way or they may have been accidental at the factory. I also read that there are Supras that have 8 lugs and not 10... I suppose mistakes happen during production and it doesn't mean they're fake. What I bought from GC however, was definitely a steel drum (magnet-tested), so it was false advertising. While it sounded good, I took it back out of principle, and the fact that I wouldn't have paid $200 for a used steel drum that appeared to be frankensteined.