header.nohb.html

Newbie - Premier fan - I just bought a Premier Resonator Black Shadow

dab35dab35

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here!

I'm dab35dab35. I'm primarily an orchestral/classical percussionist but have branched out into the kit world. I've had somewhat of a struggle with 'kit anxiety' (which I've learned is apparently not uncommon with classical percussionists!). Whilst I've sat at drums before and busked my way through a few things, I never felt truly comfortable. Now at 38 I've decided to take the plunge and just got on with it; I've been devouring lots of articles, videos, forum threads etc. to gain knowledge from more experienced players.

I'm a big Premier fan. My main kit is a 90s Genista in Cobalt Blue in normal or fusion sizes: 8/10/12/14/16 toms and 22x16 bass drum; pic attached. This is my 'go to'. Really lovely kit and I got it for a good deal
Genista 90s Blue.jpg

I then bought another 90s Genista (4pc) in a rarer Dark Walnut finish in sizes 10x8/12x8/14x14 with 20x18 bass drum. I snapped it up mainly as it was a rare colour and I was able to haggle the price down. I'm reserving this kit for acoustic only/low volume settings, plus I can use the toms on this kit as orchestral concert toms whenever needed, since these sizes are pretty much the same. I have an 18" Genista bass drum which I'm planning on getting re-wrapped/re-sprayed in the same Walnut finish, so I'll then have a 'jazz' kit if required in the future.

Now, I'm also picking up a 1980s Resonator Black Shadow kit! This is an 8pc : 8x8/10x9/12x10/13x11/14x12/15x14 toms, 18x16 floor tom, 18x16 bass drum. I love the Black Shadow finish (I have the 14x8 snare also which is awesome) and it was a bargain. Only downside is the 4-5hr round trip to collect, but it will be worth it.

I don't play in a band, certanily not an 80s cover band (much as I adore 80s music) so honestly I cannot see myself keeping all 8 Black Shadow drums. The main reason why I bought this Black Shadow is the small bass drum. I'm starting to get musical theatre work (AmDram shows) and I like the idea of punchy drums that have a small footprint, but project really well. If I've got to take loads of concert percussion in the car to a show as well - timpani, xylophone, tubular bells, hand percussion, etc. - I'm not going to fit my 22" or 20" Genista in the car, so an 18" Resonator would be a great alternative.

I definitely want to keep the 10" & 12" toms, the 18" floor tom, and the 18" bass drum. I'm weighing up which of the other drums I should keep and which I could move on.

I'd like to hold on to the 18FT as occasionally in orchestral gigs when playing modern music we always have to provide a "deep tom" or "surdo" or similar, and I feel this floor tom would be ideal for that kind of big fat sound.

The drums I'm not sure on are the 8", 13", 14" and 15".

My options I suppose are:
8/10/13 toms + 18 bass - using the 13" as a small floor tom, i.e. small bop kit.
12/15 toms + 18 bass - the 15" is quite rare, and here I don't have to look for a 16 as a 15 can be the best of both a 14 and 16. More like a 'beefy' bop/funk kit.
10 or 12/14 toms + 18 bass - basically as above but with 14" in place of the 15"

Of course the final option is I just keep all 8 drums and then I have the most options available to me.

Would be great to get thoughts and advice on which could be the most beneficial to keep. Thanks in advance!

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Need to see pics. Especially the 8”. Didn’t think there was such a thing. If it is indeed an 8”, you need to sell it to me. :)

healthie1

Reaction score
I've heard 15's pair nicely with 18" floor toms. Play them a bit and see what you like. I had a big kit and I'd be happy cutting 5 drums out of it.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven’t picked them up yet so pics to follow!
I just looked around. The kit you are getting is a Resonator with a Black Shadow finish. The kit I have is a little bit newer and is a Black Shadow kit. It has the individual lugs on the toms, instead of the one piece. They did not make an 8” in the series I have. Pic of my kit.

45F10F9A-3C2B-4B29-BC92-4DADDDBC646F.jpeg
B1BC8E57-47DC-454F-8CC6-265E3FA825F6.jpeg

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No; I’ve heard them, and have played on a set of Resonators once in the past and remember liking them.
The QA varies widely on the reso kits.
I've played a couple of those sets and couldn't get them to tune.
Genista is a fine set,reso ,not so much.

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
“Of course the final option is I just keep all 8 drums and then I have the most options available to me.”

There ya go...some folks call them shell packs or a shell bank.
As a percussionist and having multi instruments, a drummist does the same with drums. If you have the room keep ‘em all...there’s some nice drums ya got there, with a nice array of sounds a la your already nice array of sounds....
bt

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Welcome to the Forum. Appreciate your desire to expand your percussion over to the kit. Sounds like you've got a lot we can learn from as well.

You'll find a lot of Premier lovers here. They've a cherished history and many standout, iconic series over the years.

I look forward to reading your posts.

P.S. Keep all the drums! :)

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. Appreciate your desire to expand your percussion over to the kit. Sounds like you've got a lot we can learn from as well.

You'll find a lot of Premier lovers here. They've a cherished history and many standout, iconic series over the years.

I look forward to reading your posts.

P.S. Keep all the drums! :)

No; I’ve heard them, and have played on a set of Resonators once in the past and remember liking them.

Welcome, and yes, keep all the drums. If anything, seek out a matching 22" BD - or larger - and you'll have the "ready for anything" dealio as you mix 'n match the toms with the BD's.

You're so lucky being "across the pond," Premier-wise. We would never see an 18" Black Shadow Resonator over here.

dab35dab35

Reaction score
Welcome, and yes, keep all the drums. If anything, seek out a matching 22" BD - or larger - and you'll have the "ready for anything" dealio as you mix 'n match the toms with the BD's.

You're so lucky being "across the pond," Premier-wise. We would never see an 18" Black Shadow Resonator over here.
Thanks. Yeah a 22” BD would be great but I definitely don’t have space for one yet. Maybe in the future!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Buying a large kit just to get an 18x16 bass drum that you have no need for?

dab35dab35

Reaction score
Buying a large kit just to get an 18x16 bass drum that you have no need for?
Ah, I realise it does look like that doesn't it! Perhaps I misphrased; I haven't bought a large kit to only use the 18x16 bass drum and disregard all the other toms, since I was drawn to a few of the toms as well (I now see that I didn't say that in my first post; apologies. I wrote it late and in a rush whilst a bit tired).

My rationale for buying is to have an alternative kit which has smaller footprint when needed - if used as a 3pc say, or using the 13" as a floor tom - but can still hold its own volume-wise when necessary.
I might be playing a show where my blue Genista is perfect and I can fit a 22" bass drum in a pit for example, and that's totally fine. However there may be occasions where a 22" is too much, so this 18" would be great for that. Then I'd be utilising toms which match this smaller bass drum.

As mentioned, the 18x16 floor can be handy in other situations, including using it with my Genista kit. Personally I'm not sure how using an 18" floor with an 18" bass drum can work, but that's not to say it's a bad decision; whatever works I guess. The chances of finding an 18" Genista floor tom in blue are extremely slim so at least owning some sort of 18" floor gives me the option of using one when required.

The 15" has great potential as moonlighting as an orchestral tenor drum since it's the right size to acheive that kind of darker sound in a classical ensemble, with appropriate heads.

So I do feel I have use, and will find uses, for not just the 18x16 bass drum but the other drums too. My dilemma is, do I need to hold on to every drum from this Resonator kit, meaning most options available, or should I slim it down (say, sell the 8 or 13 or 14)?

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ah, I realise it does look like that doesn't it! Perhaps I misphrased; I haven't bought a large kit to only use the 18x16 bass drum and disregard all the other toms, since I was drawn to a few of the toms as well (I now see that I didn't say that in my first post; apologies. I wrote it late and in a rush whilst a bit tired).

My rationale for buying is to have an alternative kit which has smaller footprint when needed - if used as a 3pc say, or using the 13" as a floor tom - but can still hold its own volume-wise when necessary.
I might be playing a show where my blue Genista is perfect and I can fit a 22" bass drum in a pit for example, and that's totally fine. However there may be occasions where a 22" is too much, so this 18" would be great for that. Then I'd be utilising toms which match this smaller bass drum.

As mentioned, the 18x16 floor can be handy in other situations, including using it with my Genista kit. Personally I'm not sure how using an 18" floor with an 18" bass drum can work, but that's not to say it's a bad decision; whatever works I guess. The chances of finding an 18" Genista floor tom in blue are extremely slim so at least owning some sort of 18" floor gives me the option of using one when required.

The 15" has great potential as moonlighting as an orchestral tenor drum since it's the right size to acheive that kind of darker sound in a classical ensemble, with appropriate heads.

So I do feel I have use, and will find uses, for not just the 18x16 bass drum but the other drums too. My dilemma is, do I need to hold on to every drum from this Resonator kit, meaning most options available, or should I slim it down (say, sell the 8 or 13 or 14)?
I bought a 5 piece Black Shadow kit from England just for the 10”, very hard to find Tom.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score

I understand all the above. Have you considered what it might cost to buy a new or used 18" kick, or maybe convert a floor tom you already own? I'm guessing you might save a lot of money following the latter course.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the resonators the drums with the extra ply on top of re-rings ??