Newbie Questions - 1967 Ludwig Hollywood

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The bracket p83 is showing (middle) is an earlier era and will likely have just a basic script logo. I have those on my 65s and earlier. They hold a rod in place by set screw rather than an internal eye and external double washer. The latter (yours, on the right), IMO, has a superior hold on the rod for hanging toms/cymbals

View attachment 471614
Hey drumtimejohn!

I've got one of those 1965 brackets. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was the P1672. Ludwig discovered early on that the wing screw did a poor job of holding the tom to the L arm in the consolette holder. While it worked OK for tom legs, it was still a poor design. The first P1216 brackets were really nice, but only lasted a few years at best. The bean counters at Ludwig found ways to change the bracket internally, while keeping the outside looking the same. Ahh...progress!!

-Mark

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Whoa, thank you all for the help!

I was actually already able to get the muffler off, those inner nuts just needed a spritz of WD40 to loosen up and then the rest was easy peasy. Took a bunch of photos to remind myself the order of all the parts when they go back on.

Good to know about those two consecutive washers on the leg mounts, I likely would have assumed to put one in, one out, on reassembly.

I suspect a previous owner did at least open one of the drums, as the 13's inside had some gunk to wipe up, the lug screws/muffler hardware was more rusted than on any other spots, and the date stamp has a little smudge to it, though still legible. The kick, FT, and 12" though are still quite immaculate white paint.

I have unfortunately already learned the lesson of the 70s concert tom fad, as my first vintage acquisitions were an auction haul of a Club Date kick, 12", and 14" FT, none of which came with bottom hoops or tensions rods...Those are definitely more of a project that I'm sure I'll get to at some point (then again, maybe not if I never want to stop playing these!).

Lastly, @jptrickster - I have zero intention of taking those store badges off, they were in ProMark founder Herb Brockstein's store! Such an awesome little piece of history! The guy I bought them from did actually remove the badge from one rack tom (which he also gave to me with the tiny tack nails that secured them), and fortunately there is no visible outline above the badge. Who knows how long ago it was removed ‍♂

Oh, these also came with a set of Humes & Berg fibre cases, and even had the original dusty-as-hell product catalog included!
From Brochstein's!! Thou shalt keep as-is! There are penalties for removal!

Seriously, Herb's is major lore credibility. For some us fiends around here, those badges add to the value.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
And you've hit an absolute home run getting this set! They truly do appear to be a forever kit.

count_me_in

Reaction score
What does your double tom holder look like? SAZ
Hey SAZ,

Struggling to find a pic of it right now, but it is the flattened-style double tom mount plate with Ludwig etched thinly into the face. It's not the mount that is arched and has the black label across the face.

Hopefully that makes sense

Wow great looking set. Have fun with those!!
Thank you, trust me I will!

sazemanek1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey SAZ,

Struggling to find a pic of it right now, but it is the flattened-style double tom mount plate with Ludwig etched thinly into the face. It's not the mount that is arched and has the black label across the face.

Hopefully that makes sense

Thank you, trust me I will!

Yep! That's it!

SAZ
2012-10-31 22.37.23.jpg