Newbie Tips

kiddoh

Reaction score
Hey guys. Sorry if I missed a thread that is similar to this one. I'm a newbie player, who has an alesis dm6 kit. Been really jumpy between instruments, but I finally decided that I have to take a grip on this and start playing. Had a few lessons, but last teacher that I've been to, really did nothing. I know the basic hand movement, but my feet are kinda stiff. What I really want, is to get a good tutorials/lessons in a video/text based form, that would explain everything straight, from the basics, so I could get playing. Sorry for my spelling. English is not my native.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
There must be a thousand beginner drum tutorials on youtube.
I'd suggest you try a search there.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I like Gina Knight. She goes from very basic to pretty complicated in easy-to-understand videos. Start here for snare.
, then follow up with bass drum here
and go on from there. Good luck in your studies.

Last edited by a moderator:

kiddoh

Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:
There must be a thousand beginner drum tutorials on youtube.
I'd suggest you try a search there.
Yeah, the main problem is, that there's too much of those random tutorials. :c

CSR said:
I like Gina Knight. She goes from very basic to pretty complicated in easy-to-understand videos. Start here for snare.
, then follow up with bass drum here
and go on from there. Good luck in your studies.
Thanks, I'll give it a try! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are many very good videos and books available, but when you are first starting out there is nothing that can replace a good teacher who can keep you from developing bad habits.

It's unfortunate that your first experience was not a good one...ask other drummers and get the name of a well established instructor. In the long run you will find it was worth it.