Newcomer to Electronic Drums. Looking for Advice!

way to old

Reaction score
I'm a newcomer to the forum so a big hello to everyone on the electronic drumming side!

I've played for around 15 years now and it has always been acoustic. I've now decided it's time to make the move to electronic so I can satisfy my desire to play at ANY hour of the day!

My question is:

WHERE DO I START?! Any advice on where to begin? I know this can be a very vague question so I'll try to narrow it down a bit. Budget is flexible as it's something I know I will keep for a good while and will slowly look to expand. It's mainly for home practice occasionally recording the odd track. Audio in and out would be preferable so I can link it to a speaker in order to play out loud along with a song. I'm after a kit that I can expand to replicate the set up I currently know which is:

Bass drum (of course)
2 rack tom
2 floor tom
2 hi hats (one either side)
3 crash
1 china
1 ride
1 splash/tambourine

Apologies for the long first post! Thanks in advance for your help :)

Eren.

way to old

Reaction score
I've played a Pintech kit with a Roland TD-6 module for over 15 years. The Pintechs are very well built and the TD-6 is very user friendly. In the electronics field, these are antiques, but after all these years they still work extremely well. I play out 2-3 times a month and use a Yorkville keyboard amp that sounds much better than any drum amp I've heard. I see used Pintech drums and Roland modules on e-bay at reasonable prices.

Metwrench

Reaction score
Welcome Erin, I switched to Electrics 1 Year ago after 1 of my Bands requested they wanted better control over my Volume. I researched and went with Roland V's , Using a TD20 Module. Because Im playing " Live " and sometimes without a " sound Engineer" I didnt like the TD-20 because if i Need to Tweek the Volumes of the Different drum sounds on demand, I would have to Scroll menu's, I needed to be able to just reach down and adjust. The Only Module that will give you this is the TD50 which I traded up to. Other MAJOR complaint is the Hi-Hat sounds, The Control over open/close sounds is HORRIBLE !! and I still Struggle with it ! I have been on with Tech Support Roland, Which is HORRIBLE SUPPORT ....

Recently the Big Apple Circus was in town and the Drummer was using Roland V's with a TD Module, BUT i noticed he was using Accoustic Hit Hats Mic'd up ! How Interesting....I ask him about it and his answer was the same as mine ....They are Horrible.

I use my Hats Open and Close to Bounce Crash Patterns, Disco Beats, 32nd Notes...etc,....... The Response is just bad ...The trigger is not fast enough.

I also use the MIDI TRIGGER Feature using .wav files to trigger " Horn" sounds which is Really Cool when you dont have a Horn Player and need that sound Pattern. Often the Sound trigger Miss Fires ... My Band mates are not pleased !

SO....In closing, If your not using for LIVE performance I would say Roland V drums and a Basic Module ( i.e. Td 10 and up )

electrodrummer

Reaction score
That's a joke article, isn't it? (just a way to harvest Amazon affiliate clicks - must be!)

Rockjam and a bunch of kid's toys ! On a site registered a couple of weeks ago.

(Funny - your name changes on the different forums you've posted this on....)

gmbydmit

Reaction score
Hey Erin!
Someone on FB had some similar questions...

So, I addressed it like this:

Are You a heavy hitter?

What type of music are you mostly playing?

A lot of drummers will pick out pad types, and modules, etc based on this.

In December you 'looked at' this e-drum set:

if your budget is somewhere around the same, take a look at this....

I picked this one because of the price range and I like DrumTec and that 2box module
MY personal e-drum sets are different configurations with The Alternate Mode TrapKat, DrumKat, MalletKat & JamKat with the A.M. DITI and VST's, or the 2box Drumit 3 module)

FWIW
:cool: Tim

gbow

Reaction score
Hey Erin!
Someone on FB had some similar questions...

So, I addressed it like this:

Are You a heavy hitter?

What type of music are you mostly playing?

A lot of drummers will pick out pad types, and modules, etc based on this.

In December you 'looked at' this e-drum set:

if your budget is somewhere around the same, take a look at this....

I picked this one because of the price range and I like DrumTec and that 2box module
MY personal e-drum sets are different configurations with The Alternate Mode TrapKat, DrumKat, MalletKat & JamKat with the A.M. DITI and VST's, or the 2box Drumit 3 module)

FWIW
:cool: Tim
Yes for that price range, the drumit 3 is possibly the best option. You can add your own samples and also pull samples from vst modules like Addictive Drums 2 to create really great sounding kits.

gabo

Latest posts