Newer George Lawrence Stone Book-Technique of Percussion: Columns by George Lawrence Stone for International Musician Magazine 1946-1963

drummerfriend

Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been discussed. I apologize if so. If you have read it, any thoughts?

I finally picked up this book and am just beginning to make my way through it. Fascinating for any fans interested in this sort of material.

Description: Collected in one place for the first time, Technique of Percussion reproduces 143 columns written by George Lawrence Stone, author of the classic Stick Control for the Snare Drummer, between 1946 and 1963. These include entertaining stories about working as a percussionist at the time along with substantive percussion lessons.

Still awaiting delivery of: Drum Lessons with George Lawrence Stone: A Personal Account on How to Use Stick Control Paperback – October 1, 2019 by Barry James (Composer), Joe Morello (Composer) - Based on the author's recollections of their studies and conversations with George Lawrence Stone, this companion book to Stick Control contains a series of lessons and lectures on the art and technique of drumming as originally developed and taught by George Lawrence Stone.

toddbishop

Reaction score
That's a great book-- I reviewed it on my site a few months ago. Definitely a required library item for anybody doing this full time. I wasn't so excited about the Lessons With GLS book-- seems to need a major re-edit at least.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is cool stuff.

Re: Toddbishop's critique. Such a revision sounds like a worthy project for PAS to take on, perhaps with some rising percussion scholar doing research to refine the original. These are important documents for our instrument!

drummerfriend

Reaction score
That's a great book-- I reviewed it on my site a few months ago. Definitely a required library item for anybody doing this full time. I wasn't so excited about the Lessons With GLS book-- seems to need a major re-edit at least.
I enjoyed reading your review.

This is cool stuff. Re: Toddbishop's critique. Such a revision sounds like a worthy project for PAS to take on, perhaps with some rising percussion scholar doing research to refine the original. These are important documents for our instrument!
Agreed.

Latest posts