Newer P-85 no-drill alternative?

Skeet6

Reaction score
I've played the same few Ludwig Supras for years (since mid-80's). My 1968 6.5", my early 70's B/O 5", and my beloved 1995 hammered bronze 6.5" - never had an issue with a P-85, I know my way around them pretty well.

Just picked up a very recent 5" hammered bronze, and the P-85 just kinda sucks. It catches when going from off to on, and just generally makes me frown more than it should. Are there any alternatives out there that require no drilling?

I AM going to disassemble/troubleshoot and lube this one, but just curious what's out there.

Mike B

Dillasdonuts

Reaction score

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I swapped out a P85 for an InDE throw (no drill for just about any vertical two-hole strainer). It is a fantastic throw. Do it.

KillinBill66

Reaction score

I've used these as well as INDEs. Happy with both options

Skeet6

Reaction score

I've used these as well as INDEs. Happy with both options
That's neat to keep it all Ludwig, how do they work, smooth? I also saw a Dunnet/Gibraltar made to replace same once I started looking. Glad you guys are here to help. Let me know how you like(d) the P88AC

Mike B

KillinBill66

Reaction score
That's neat to keep it all Ludwig, how do they work, smooth? I also saw a Dunnet/Gibraltar made to replace same once I started looking. Glad you guys are here to help. Let me know how you like(d) the P88AC

Mike B
I'm happy with it. It's been smooth and problem-free.

Skeet6

Reaction score
Just came in today, and installed the P88AC. Wow, nice stuff. Solid! I really like it. On this very late model Hammered Bronze 5x14 it is aces. Very slick packaging, really nice screws and even bushings for the large holes for the (old) die-cast butt. I am well pleased. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Mike B

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like the 88, came with a new drum. Good to know it fits the older hole spacing, might get one as a replacement myself. I particularly like the locking tension dial, very reliable.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the INDe throw off and have had it on a few different snare drums and I usually ask for it when getting snares made for me from boutique builders .
One of my all time favourite strainers is the Ludwig P-86 Millenium strainer . I am not sure if this has been discontinued or not . I know some people have had issues with this strainer , but I have not . It works very smoothly for me and I like the look of it .

Skeet6

Reaction score
I like the 88, came with a new drum. Good to know it fits the older hole spacing, might get one as a replacement myself. I particularly like the locking tension dial, very reliable.
To be clear, there is an extra set of holes (under bushing) for the stamped earlier P-85 butt. This drum is a recent hammered Supra, so it had the diecast butt. If it had the stamped butt, I would have had to tap the two holes that are there for that purpose, but would not have needed the hard plastic bushings/spacers. Nicely thought out unit.
Mike B

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Mike B!

Glad you're happy with the new P88. It's a great throw-off! I put together an 8-lug drum using the Worldmax NOB (Nickle On Brass) shell and donor parts from an Acrolite. The drum is kinda like an 8-lug Black Beauty! I was using the P85/P32 combination. I upgraded to the P88/P35 combo. Yes, I did have to tap the holes on the P35 butt to 8-32. The other issue was that I had to enlarge the existing holes from the P32, as they were drilled for 6-32 screws. No big deal to enlarge them. I'm really happy with the new P88/P35 combination!

-Mark

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For anyone interested in the P35 butt, here are pictures from mine. As you an see, there are no threads in the lower holes that would correspond to the spacing of the P32. Also included are rubber isolators, that include a peg that fits into the non-threaded hole. I sliced of these pegs and drilled through to allow the 8-32 screws to pass through.

Many of you questioned why Ludwig does not tap these holes already. The reason is quite simple...the spacing for many P32's was not consistent! I've had enough snare drums with the P32 to know that this is true! Many times, you'll have to slightly elongate one hole for another P32 butt to fit. Either that, or bend one, or both, legs of the butt to fit!

-Mark

-Mark

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of all the Ludwig snares I've owned and still own (15+ easy), most had P85's. The P83 old school throw was perfect, IMO, but I get a more "modern" version was needed.

The only P85 I've ever had issues with that "stuck" was easily remedied with some WD40 and it never stuck again. Take off the throw, make sure it is clean, then spray the 2 points on the back (as well as the thread of the knob. The rest of them worked as smooth as butter........of course, you can always just buy a new P85 for $20 or so.....