Newest project-60's Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl "Downbeat"...almost :)NOW DONE!

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to share my newest Ludwig project with DFO members ; assembling a 60's Ludwig Keystone Oyster Black Pearl set in the "Downbeat" configuration; acquired a nice 20" bass (original rail consolette with no extra holes) ; recently acquired a 12 inch tom and, to fill in the spot , I added an extra 16 inch floor tom I already had (I'm currently looking for a 14 inch floor tom to complete the "Downbeat" configuration but the 16" floor tom is a great filler). Snare is a 6 lugger Pioneer

Thanks to MLayton, Andlours, Cochlea, WFLKurt for their help and encouragement in this project. This is a great and supportive forum!
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1091.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
What type of mufflers on the toms; Ball Bat (red?) or Round knob type..just curious..

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What type of mufflers on the toms; Ball Bat (red?) or Round knob type..just curious..
All baseball bat and white ; bass is 1965, 12 is 1967 and 16 is 1966 ; dates estimated from serial numbers...hope this helps!

Reactions: JDA

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
You've got some great drums Chris. Everything is really coming together nicely. That 14" will show up for you.

Mike

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
JDA, this photo might help. You might be able to make out the baseball bat handles of the muffers on the back of both the rack tom and floor tom.
IMG_1088.JPG

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
JDA, this photo might help
I see them now...
I only asked because around 1968 my first set was BDP 20" Hollywood set with Ball Bat (red if I recall) ... Bought used. And I wonder sometimes what "year" they were. Had the "clip on"- with the wood block/spacer Double tom ( 8x12/ 8x12) tom holder. 20/12/12/16/supra.

Long Gone......
have nothing (but pictures) left from those drums, but for some reason, 7 Tees and claws...)

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see them now...
I only asked because around 1968 my first set was BDP 20" Hollywood set with Ball Bat (red if I recall) ... Bought used. And I wonder sometimes what "year" they were. Had the "clip on"- with the wood block/spacer Double tom ( 8x12/ 8x12) tom holder. 20/12/12/16/supra.

Long Gone......
As I understand it, baseball bat mufflers were used 1961-68 but sometime in 1968, they switched over to the knob type muffler.
I could be wrong about this and perhaps those in the know would elaborate on this.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes looking at the catalogs ( vintagedrumguide) all that's seen is round knob on the sets)
Ball bats are cool (and have been discussed here - altho not recently in many years)

drummom.jpg

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes looking at the catalogs ( vintagedrumguide) all that's seen is round knob on the sets)
Ball bats are cool (and have been discussed here - altho not recently in many years)
Yes, they are cool.
Also, concerning your question on the colour of the muffler, if I am correct, red was used to sometime in 1964 and then switched over the the white muffler.
Your set sounds neat; BDP is a great wrap and two 12's ...wow! As you said, it sounds like the Ludwig Hollywood model; maybe 1964 or 1965 with dual 12"; I think sometime in 1966, they went to a 12 and 13 toms, That Supra would be nice! Thanks for sharing, JDA!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Change from red to white mufflers took place gradually in '65.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Chris, thats a a beautiful set. Any drummer in a Beatles Tribute Band would be proud to have that set!!

Good job!

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, thats a a beautiful set. Any drummer in a Beatles Tribute Band would be proud to have that set!!

Good job!
Thank you for the kind words! I'm just enjoying putting them together; always wanted a Downbeat set in OBP ; you can see my 66 Super Classic set behind them also in OBP.

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked this stage anchor up recently ; it is like the the one used beside the Walberg and Auge drum anchor on Ringo's set on their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show.
You can see one of these on Gary Astridge's Ringo Beatle kits website ; it is an invaluable website tool for those of us who like Ringo's sets.

Mlayton was kind enough to give me a heads up on it...thanks Mike!
IMG_1106.JPG
IMG_1105.JPG

Last edited:

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Chris, I hope you will soon come across a matching 14x14 floor tom to complete your Downbeat kit. It will be so cool having access to a Super Classic and Downbeat in the same room. All you'll need is a matching Jazz Festival and a thermogloss "rooftop" kit to complete your Ringo collection. :)

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OTE="cochlea, post: 1873353, member: 375"]
Chris, I hope you will soon come across a matching 14x14 floor tom to complete your Downbeat kit. It will be so cool having access to a Super Classic and Downbeat in the same room. All you'll need is a matching Jazz Festival and a thermogloss "rooftop" kit to complete your Ringo collection. :)
[/QUOTE]
Thanks Doug, I think just finding the matching 14x14 floor tom will be enough. I like the OBP Jazz Festival but I don't want to spend the big money that they are selling for. Plus I think the 6 lugger Pioneer does the job I need and looks great behind the kit.
The Thermogloss "rooftop" kit wrap is great but due to room and funds, I think I will stay with the Oyster Black Pearls :)

Last edited:

J.D.hughes

Reaction score
I picked this stage anchor up recently ; it is like the the one used beside the Walberg and Auge drum anchor on Ringo's set on their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show.
You can see one of these on Gary Astridge's Ringo Beatle kits website ; it is an invaluable website tool for those of us who like Ringo's sets.

Mlayton was kind enough to give me a heads up on it...thanks Mike! View attachment 423958 View attachment 423959

Mlayton was kind enough to give me a heads up on it...thanks Mike! View attachment 423958 View attachment 423959