Newest project-60's Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl "Downbeat"...almost :)

J.D.hughes

Reaction score
Can I ask where you got this Stage anchor? I have been looking for one for quite some time. Cool find!

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Sure, it was on Ebay.
I have looked for a long time but Mike stumbled on it and let me know.
Keep looking, it will show up. What make,model and year drum kit do you have ?

J.D.hughes

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks again. I am playing this 68 Gretsch Round badge right now with a Ludwig Salesman Sample snare. I also have a 62/63 Gretsch Round Badge kit in Midnight Blue Pearl and a Midnight Blue Pearl Custom nesting drum kit from Drummer's World in NYC. I have 3 Round badge snares and also a Ludwig Pink Oyster Pearl snare I bought from Don Bennet's Drum closet that used to belong to Bun E.Carlos from Cheap Trick.

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think just finding the matching 14x14 floor tom will be enough. I like the OBP Jazz Festival but I don't want to spend the big money that they are selling for. Plus I think the 6 lugger Pioneer does the job I need and looks great behind the kit.
The Thermogloss "rooftop" kit wrap is great but due to room and funds, I think I will stay with the Oyster Black Pearls :)
If you luck out on getting one with a good chunk of wrap the new Reissue Legacy Jazz Festival (top drum in photo)would look nice with those without breaking the bank. A Pioneer is nice too though. I have one and used it with my set. I posted a video of my set on youtube with the Pioneer and, while I got comments pointing out the craziest minor details that were "incorrect", not one person mentioned the fact that my snare was two lugs shy of a Jazz Festival.

20200628_000425.jpg

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks again. I am playing this 68 Gretsch Round badge right now with a Ludwig Salesman Sample snare. I also have a 62/63 Gretsch Round Badge kit in Midnight Blue Pearl and a Midnight Blue Pearl Custom nesting drum kit from Drummer's World in NYC. I have 3 Round badge snares and also a Ludwig Pink Oyster Pearl snare I bought from Don Bennet's Drum closet that used to belong to Bun E.Carlos from Cheap Trick.
Looks good! Would love to see your early 60's Gretsch Midnight Blue Pearl set.

I just picked up a 66 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22 inch bass drum at a very fair price and already have an extra 13 rack and 16 floor tom and a rewrapped 80's Ludwig snare so this will be my vintage "workhorse" gigging kit. Will post pictures when I receive the kick drum.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
If you luck out on getting one with a good chunk of wrap the new Reissue Legacy Jazz Festival (top drum in photo)would look nice with those without breaking the bank. A Pioneer is nice too though. I have one and used it with my set. I posted a video of my set on youtube with the Pioneer and, while I got comments pointing out the craziest minor details that were "incorrect", not one person mentioned the fact that my snare was two lugs shy of a Jazz Festival.

View attachment 449927
Thanks for the suggestion, KO. I will keep in mind. The Legacy model wrap really looks quite good against the original Jazz Festival in your photo and seems a better financial alternative to the original Jazz Festival.
I think my last item will be the 14x14 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl floor tom and then I should be complete (I hope!) for a while.

J.D.hughes

Reaction score

I just picked up a 66 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22 inch bass drum at a very fair price and already have an extra 13 rack and 16 floor tom and a rewrapped 80's Ludwig snare so this will be my vintage "workhorse" gigging kit. Will post pictures when I receive the kick drum.

I got them for an amazing price because the guy wouldn't ship them so a friend in Upstate NY went and picked them up in CT and I am going to pick them up from him when the border reopens, I live in Prince Edward Island. Here they are and my nesting kit which I have been playing the early 60's blue Round Badge snare with. I finally have to whole kit to match!

Attachments

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
I got them for an amazing price because the guy wouldn't ship them so a friend in Upstate NY went and picked them up in CT and I am going to pick them up from him when the border reopens, I live in Prince Edward Island. Here they are and my nesting kit which I have been playing the early 60's blue Round Badge snare with. I finally have to whole kit to match!
Looks like you did well on them and it's nice that you have the whole kit to match! Is it with this set that you want to use the stage anchor or...... ?

J.D.hughes

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Yes, I would just generally like to have one but this kit definitely is one I would use it for if the venue allowed it! haha