Newly Released - John Coltrane "A Love Supreme Live in Seattle"

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

SKF NOTE: Elvin is the sole drummer on this date. Not to look this gift horse in the mouth, but I'm a bit disappointed this date is the Coltrane Quartet expanded. Keeping an open mind and ears and looking forward to listening. And what the heck is with the "Associated Performer" designation? I'm old enough to remember when we called them "band members."

Associated Performer, Tenor Saxophone, Percussion: John Coltrane
Associated Performer, Piano: McCoy Tyner
Associated Performer, Upright Bass: Jimmy Garrison
Associated Performer, Drums: Elvin Jones
Associated Performer, Tenor Saxophone, Percussion: Pharoah Sanders
Associated Performer, Alto Saxophone: Carlos Ward
Associated Performer, Upright Bass: Donald Rafael Garrett

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I have to admit, though, that by the time this was recorded I had abandoned Trane. His music went into a direction that I chose not to follow. It was about this time I also distanced myself from Miles. Although Trane and Miles had gone places for which I didn't care, they each had the very best drummers of any group [IMHO] during the period (Elvin and Tony.)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
before my time/awareness but I "see" Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin sitting together front row in the audience slack jawed

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can’t wait to hear this! A jazz history making recording. Up until I heard of this concert the only time I heard of anything from A Love Supreme being performed live by Coltrane besides Antibes was mentioned in Ashley Kahn’s book. It was rumored that Coltrane, Elvin, Jimmy Garrison and Alice performed Acknowledgment at St.Gregory’s Rectory in Brooklyn in 1966.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a double live album with the dual saxes of Trane & Pharoah - some crazy playing going on in this era of JC......

jmele2

Reaction score
Cant' wait to get my copy of this. A transitional moment captured live.