header.nohb.html

NEW'S Alert Virgil Donati the best drummer in the world......

Tama

Reaction score
I owned a VD Pearl signature snare made from birch and maple plies . Really nice drum .

BennyK

Virgil....was using Pearl drum for some time....and the more I look at them vs the DW

drums, I dont like the DW lugs.....the Pearl set and the rack it the best looking drums out their

and their construction. The rack is best no doubt......the set here is just killer.....

and a drum dream set....

Attachments

• Peral Rack.png
    Peral Rack.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point Zenghost, Im going suggest you be put in Drum Forum time out........for over analyzing this

matter....Actually Im kidding and that.s a good point...now that you bring it up....Id say you probably could

not do what Virgil is doing in a "relaxed physical approach" with the changes and speed of some of the items

he plays it would not work.....I also think that his precise playing is a style...that would not lend to the

"relaxed physical approach" but that's a good point......I'll see you at the Drum Forum lunch room and

bar around 12PM.....you're buying.....and Im ordering big....Zenghost....

thank you Virgil......

The point that Zenghost is making is that there are drummers that are playing stuff as technical as Virgil, but not looking as stiff as he does when he's playing. Vinnie and Thomas Lang come to mind, as well as a number of younger modern metal players. You're putting Virgil on a pedestal that is unwarranted, IMO.

Tama

Reaction score
The point that Zenghost is making is that there are drummers that are playing stuff as technical as Virgil, but not looking as stiff as he does when he's playing. Vinnie and Thomas Lang come to mind, as well as a number of younger modern metal players. You're putting Virgil on a pedestal that is unwarranted, IMO.
Thats what a pedestal is for.......the pedestal is playing with Alan Holdsworth......besides the others Virgil clocked in

with ....

Alan played with Tony Williams and a long list of killer drummers.....never thought about Virgil playing with

Alan.....and who did Alan choose and saw what in Virgil........and getting a pedestal....in return is a

fusion side gravy thing................I love Vinnie....almost seen him to much.....its a power thing...Vinnie

is a hold different trip......from Virgil..........

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats what a pedestal is for.......the pedestal is playing with Alan Holdsworth......besides the others Virgil clocked in

with ....

Alan played with Tony Williams and a long list of killer drummers.....never thought about Virgil playing with

Alan.....and who did Alan choose and saw what in Virgil........and getting a pedestal....in return is a

fusion side gravy thing................I love Vinnie....almost seen him to much.....its a power thing...Vinnie

is a hold different trip......from Virgil..........
You do realize Vinnie played with Allan Holdsworth, too, right?

Also, holding up Allan Holdsworth as the pinnacle of music is... not a choice that I'd agree with.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you said these things in front of Virgil, he'd ask you to stop. Not just because he'd be embarrassed for himself, he'd be embarrassed for you. This kind of fanboy-ism is unbecoming of a grown man. Virgil is great though.

Polska

DFO Master
Reaction score

Also, holding up Allan Holdsworth as the pinnacle of music is... not a choice that I'd agree with.

Well, like his music or not, I'd argue Holdsworth was one of the most innovative guitarists in my lifetime.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, like his music or not, I'd argue Holdsworth was one of the most innovative guitarists in my lifetime.
Right, but the OP is holding it up like he is the absolute ultimate arbiter of musical talent.

Polska

DFO Master
Reaction score
Right, but the OP is holding it up like he is the absolute ultimate arbiter of musical talent.

Yeah, as far as choosing sidemen Holdsworth did very well, but I'd give the nod to Miles or Zappa in that regard.

Tama

Reaction score

I do on Vinnie and Hioldsworth and for me Vinnie with Jeff Beck was the go to drummer for Jeff

and it worked.......Virgil with Beck would not work or maybe....if Jeff went back to the fusion....

What Hioldsworth did for guitar and his affect on guitar players world wide was massive

for the guitar players and others.......what he developed in technique and playing effected every

guitar player in fusion even now.....His knowledge in effects and the Yamaha UD Stomp Modulation Delay

Effect Pedal he developed with Yamaha and the magic stomp a copy of the UD....also massive in the

9 chain effect....a sought after tone....even now....If you ask who the top fusion guitar player is or was it

would be Alan Holdsworth.....Unless you asked someone that was into to say "Marie and Donny Osmond"

they might say something different.........like Buddy Merrill....

Tama

Reaction score
Yeah, as far as choosing sidemen Holdsworth did very well, but I'd give the nod to Miles or Zappa in that regard.
Less see Miles drummer went with who, Alan Holdsworth, Tony in time.......and Zappa was not in Holdsworth league

as a player, but as a composer different matter....with seconds of brilliants....and hours of insane....Holdsworth was

someones side man until he was not and then a master as all do......Holdsworth was a master in his craft and in

fusion...And Miles was Miles ........does not figure into such....

Last edited:

Tama

Reaction score
If you said these things in front of Virgil, he'd ask you to stop. Not just because he'd be embarrassed for himself, he'd be embarrassed for you. This kind of fanboy-ism is unbecoming of a grown man. Virgil is great though.
LOL.......Im sure Virgil is a humble person and Im sure he is a human and anyone showing admiration

towards his skill and playing........he would with in himself feel his efforts have paid off......and the hyperbole

would be most enjoyed.....If you said that to Buddy Rich I would be eating dinner with him his ego

was so massive......I like this part my favorite part.... "unbecoming of a grown man" .....get a grip

I cant say who I have been around due to privacy, but I would not

put my self out their as you presumed a analyzation of facts you know knowing about.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy cow !!!
It’s like Mapex Always and Mapex Worship In another dimension !!

Last edited:

Tama

Reaction score
Holy cow !!!
It’s like Mapex Always and Mapex Worship In another dimension !!
Is that UFO or DOF on the Mapex always on........I have seen reports...of such.

Post on Virgil:

I´m a jazz drummer and the style of Virgil is very far from my musical interests. But I follow him and a lot of jazz drummers use to say me: - why are you so interested in this metal/fusion drummer? The answer is very easy:

1) He is the most advanced drummer on the planet
2) His traditional grip left hand is PERFECT
3) He surprises me with a brilliant idea that can be considered genial.
4) His intention and groove is brutal
5) His independence and coordination
6) In his playing he never or almost never falls in "one", so his comping or fills has a lift "swing" funk feel that make them very sophisticated and tasty.
7) His mastering on odd meters
8) I don´t mention double bass drumming because I don´t like it, but he is a master on it, and for metal fusion and rock drummers is a very common tool.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that UFO or DOF on the Mapex always on........I have seen reports...of such.

Post on Virgil:

I´m a jazz drummer and the style of Virgil is very far from my musical interests. But I follow him and a lot of jazz drummers use to say me: - why are you so interested in this metal/fusion drummer? The answer is very easy:

1) He is the most advanced drummer on the planet
2) His traditional grip left hand is PERFECT
3) He surprises me with a brilliant idea that can be considered genial.
4) His intention and groove is brutal
5) His independence and coordination
6) In his playing he never or almost never falls in "one", so his comping or fills has a lift "swing" funk feel that make them very sophisticated and tasty.
7) His mastering on odd meters
8) I don´t mention double bass drumming because I don´t like it, but he is a master on it, and for metal fusion and rock drummers is a very common tool.
Are you trolling or serious ?? I really can’t tell ?

Tama

Reaction score
Are you trolling or serious ?? I really can’t tell ?
No it was just a one liner on the Mapex......I liked it.....send more ...............

Holy cow !!!
It’s like Mapex Always and Mapex Worship In another dimension !