Wesley Seeley

Reaction score
Pork Pie Little Squealer Kit
SJC Pathfinder Kit (2019 model)
Mapex Mars Series

icetech

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really thought bout the new Tama B/W kit especially at the price they are selling it.. but honestly my DW Design works fine and a new kit won't make me play better..

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Choosing a kit is so personal and so subjective that I would have trouble telling you which one I like better out of the 3. What I believe is the one that you like best is the one that you should buy. Now setting that aside, I did notice though that the Pork Pie is a completely different price point as the other 2. I don't know if that price difference might reflect a difference in quality so you might want to investigate that as part of your selection process. If you are willing to pay double more for that Pork Pie, it might open the possibility of you looking at other kits in that price range. For example, I posted last week in the Modern drums deals thread brand new discontinued Ludwig Signet kits in 3 or 4 piece for like $600 & $700. These are USA made kits that originally sold for like two times that price. You might want to take a look at them if they catch your interest. And of course their are tons of other options in those prices. Good luck!
By the way, here is the link of the Ludwig deal that I posted in case you are interested. It's post #1191:
https://www.drumforum.org/threads/ebay-craigslist-b-i-n-and-other-sites-for-modern-drums.60609/page-60

Last edited:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
What do you have and why do you want another?

Wesley Seeley

Reaction score
Choosing a kit is so personal and so subjective that I would have trouble telling you which one I like better out of the 3. What I believe is the one that you like best is the one that you should buy. Now setting that aside, I did notice though that the Pork Pie is a completely different price point as the other 2. I don't know if that price difference might reflect a difference in quality so you might want to investigate that as part of your selection process. If you are willing to pay double more for that Pork Pie, it might open the possibility of you looking at other kits in that price range. For example, I posted last week in the Modern drums deals thread brand new discontinued Ludwig Signet kits in 3 or 4 piece for like $600 & $700. These are USA made kits that originally sold for like two times that price. You might want to take a look at them if they catch your interest. And of course their are tons of other options in those prices. Good luck!
By the way, here is the link of the Ludwig deal that I posted in case you are interested. It's post #1191:
https://www.drumforum.org/threads/ebay-craigslist-b-i-n-and-other-sites-for-modern-drums.60609/page-60
Thank you for your feedback! And yes, I do know the Pork Pie is about double what the other two cost, but I do know they sell used for around $750. And while I haven't done enough research to find out why the price of the Pork Pie kit is double the SJC and Mapex, I figured I'd start here in the forum and see what you guys have to say first :)

Wesley Seeley

Reaction score
What do you have and why do you want another?
Well, I have a rock pearl white Mapex MyDentity kit. I bought about 5 years ago and I just honestly haven't been satisfied with it. I think they're about $400-500 drums and they charge up the price by double cause they call them "custom drums"

I'm honestly looking to go for a black kit and just something different tbh. Also, I don't know about Mapex or Pork Pie, but SJC has excellent customer service so that's always a bonus.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Curious ... why the Mars series over the Saturn?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I have a rock pearl white Mapex MyDentity kit. I bought about 5 years ago and I just honestly haven't been satisfied with it. I think they're about $400-500 drums and they charge up the price by double cause they call them "custom drums"

I'm honestly looking to go for a black kit and just something different tbh. Also, I don't know about Mapex or Pork Pie, but SJC has excellent customer service so that's always a bonus.
If you aren't happy with Mapex, I wouldn't try for a second one then, but that's just me. (But I can sometimes be brand bias, I just can't get past the Mapex name Lol!) The SJC looks nice and it's priced right. I don't know much about them but they do look nice. So many choices my friend!

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pork Pie I think is a one man shop...and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about him/his drums.
SJC...the pathfinder if i recall is made overseas for them (as is the pigs your looking at)...i can't put my finger on it but I'm just not a fan of SJC....I do have a friend who interned with them and had nothing bad to say about them (and he's touring a bit with one of their used higher end kits).

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vintage Roger's kit ... NOT BIG R :) ... preferably 13,16 and 22. I have no particular wrap preference but anything but that hideous koa ( butcherblock ) unless the KOA kit is so cheap, that I'll bring them to Precision and have them re-wrapped. These would used to play not to collect.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Yeah, why limit yourself to just those brands. Just sayin...

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At this price point, I think you're crazy to not consider a Yamaha Stage Custom.

Wesley Seeley

Reaction score
Curious ... why the Mars series over the Saturn?
Honestly, just for the price of the kit. I'm looking at a couple different ones but these three I've listed caught my eye due to the price and aesthetics.

Pork Pie - 22x20 kick, 12x9 tom, 16x13 floor tom
SJC Pathfinder - 22x18 kick, 12x8 tom, 16x16 floor tom
Mapex Mars - 24x16 kick, 12x8 tom, floor tom 16x16, snare 14x6.5

Wesley Seeley

Reaction score
At this price point, I think you're crazy to not consider a Yamaha Stage Custom.
I've looked at those and to be honest this may sound silly, but I'm not a fan of attached toms on the bass drum. Call me crazy but I'm just not a fan. I only do one up and one down any ways so the other tom would be irrelevant to me. Just not for me :) I'm sure they would sound good though!

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly, just for the price of the kit. I'm looking at a couple different ones but these three I've listed caught my eye due to the price and aesthetics.

Pork Pie - 22x20 kick, 12x9 tom, 16x13 floor tom
SJC Pathfinder - 22x18 kick, 12x8 tom, 16x16 floor tom
Mapex Mars - 24x16 kick, 12x8 tom, floor tom 16x16, snare 14x6.5

I get it. If you are looking to spend that 500-800 range ... you can get some screamin' deals on previous models ... some are in that range ... some are about 100-200 more. That's not a lot considering you will end up paying 1/3 to 1/2 less than original sticker.

You could also shop for USED Saturns. Those usually hang out in the 600-800 range.

The best time to shop for Mapex kits is right around the time for the new models. The stores do BLOWOUTS to clear the old inventory. You can really grab some nice new drums on the cheap. Those deals are usually seen more towards the end of the year ... Oct-Dec.

https://www.drumcenternh.com/mapex-saturn-iv-4pc-drum-shell-pack-transparent-walnut-fade-blowout-deal

https://www.guitarcenter.com/product-comparison

The point ... there's a ton of stuff out there that you can afford. Much much higher quality than you would think you could afford. Just putting it out there to help you think outside the box.

Last edited: