• SJC Pathfinder Kit (2019 model)

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Mapex Mars Series

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've looked at those and to be honest this may sound silly, but I'm not a fan of attached toms on the bass drum. Call me crazy but I'm just not a fan. I only do one up and one down any ways so the other tom would be irrelevant to me. Just not for me :) I'm sure they would sound good though!
The best thing you can do is buy what fulfills you. I know how it is, you like something and that's that!
I can't buy anything that I consider ugly no matter how good it functions. So I get what you feel! And nobodies suggestions or opinions can change that. After analyzing everyone's posts including mine, I think we went off topic and I'm gonna respect what you initially asked without making any other suggestions of what "I like". It's about you and what you like so here goes: My vote for your question asking to pick which of the 3 that you like is:
I can't just pick one! I have 2 for you in this order and reason:
#1 Pork Pie (It comes with the Little squealer snare which sounds great & the kit looks like a nice, classy traditional drum kit. Reminds me of an old school kit & I've heard great things about Pork Pie)
#2 Mapex (As much as I hate the name, it looks really nice and it's the only one out of the three that is all birch and from what I've read, Mapex is making quality drums. Also, the price is great)
As for the SJC. Something about their kits just don't do it for me. I don't like how they look personally. They remind me of that style of kit that's supposed to be ultra modern which I don't like. DDrum has that same look. I used to see DDrum's in store and they looked ugly to me.
Their you have it, that's my opinion (from an all out Ludwig guy!)
Anyways, have fun picking one and let us know in the end what you buy.
LRod

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know anything about any of these 3 kits - based on the size alone, I'd go with Mapex only because that's the most traditional sized kit. I do jazz mostly and none would work for me.......

If your budget is $800, there will be a ton of kits out there used on GC, MGR and you may get lucky with CList. I once picked up a DW pre-collectors 8/10/14/18 with 13" snare and crappy cymbals for.......way less than that!!!!

Wesley Seeley

Reaction score
The best thing you can do is buy what fulfills you. I know how it is, you like something and that's that!
I can't buy anything that I consider ugly no matter how good it functions. So I get what you feel! And nobodies suggestions or opinions can change that. After analyzing everyone's posts including mine, I think we went off topic and I'm gonna respect what you initially asked without making any other suggestions of what "I like". It's about you and what you like so here goes: My vote for your question asking to pick which of the 3 that you like is:
I can't just pick one! I have 2 for you in this order and reason:
#1 Pork Pie (It comes with the Little squealer snare which sounds great & the kit looks like a nice, classy traditional drum kit. Reminds me of an old school kit & I've heard great things about Pork Pie)
#2 Mapex (As much as I hate the name, it looks really nice and it's the only one out of the three that is all birch and from what I've read, Mapex is making quality drums. Also, the price is great)
As for the SJC. Something about their kits just don't do it for me. I don't like how they look personally. They remind me of that style of kit that's supposed to be ultra modern which I don't like. DDrum has that same look. I used to see DDrum's in store and they looked ugly to me.
Their you have it, that's my opinion (from an all out Ludwig guy!)
Anyways, have fun picking one and let us know in the end what you buy.
LRod
Awesome feedback! One thing I would like to add that I forgot to mention is that the Pork Pie kit I found that's within the same price range as the Mapex and SJC is a used kit and does not come with the little squealer snare drum. The Pork Pie and SJC kit do not include a snare and the Mapex is the only one that does.

I didn't think it would be so hard making a decision on a new kit! lol

Wesley Seeley

Reaction score
I don't know anything about any of these 3 kits - based on the size alone, I'd go with Mapex only because that's the most traditional sized kit. I do jazz mostly and none would work for me.......

If your budget is $800, there will be a ton of kits out there used on GC, MGR and you may get lucky with CList. I once picked up a DW pre-collectors 8/10/14/18 with 13" snare and crappy cymbals for.......way less than that!!!!
Understandable then!

Also, I have been searching on Reverb, eBay, Guitar Center Used, and local craigslist. Thanks for the help!

Wesley Seeley

Reaction score

Why do you say that?

Wesley Seeley

Reaction score
I get it. If you are looking to spend that 500-800 range ... you can get some screamin' deals on previous models ... some are in that range ... some are about 100-200 more. That's not a lot considering you will end up paying 1/3 to 1/2 less than original sticker.

You could also shop for USED Saturns. Those usually hang out in the 600-800 range.

The best time to shop for Mapex kits is right around the time for the new models. The stores do BLOWOUTS to clear the old inventory. You can really grab some nice new drums on the cheap. Those deals are usually seen more towards the end of the year ... Oct-Dec.

https://www.drumcenternh.com/mapex-saturn-iv-4pc-drum-shell-pack-transparent-walnut-fade-blowout-deal

https://www.guitarcenter.com/product-comparison

The point ... there's a ton of stuff out there that you can afford. Much much higher quality than you would think you could afford. Just putting it out there to help you think outside the box.[/QUOTE

Wesley Seeley

Reaction score
I get it. If you are looking to spend that 500-800 range ... you can get some screamin' deals on previous models ... some are in that range ... some are about 100-200 more. That's not a lot considering you will end up paying 1/3 to 1/2 less than original sticker.

You could also shop for USED Saturns. Those usually hang out in the 600-800 range.

The best time to shop for Mapex kits is right around the time for the new models. The stores do BLOWOUTS to clear the old inventory. You can really grab some nice new drums on the cheap. Those deals are usually seen more towards the end of the year ... Oct-Dec.

https://www.drumcenternh.com/mapex-saturn-iv-4pc-drum-shell-pack-transparent-walnut-fade-blowout-deal

https://www.guitarcenter.com/product-comparison

The point ... there's a ton of stuff out there that you can afford. Much much higher quality than you would think you could afford. Just putting it out there to help you think outside the box.
Great! Thanks so much for the feedback. I will take this into consideration!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Question: What's your limit on purchase price? Reason I ask is because if it's in the sub $800 range, you can buy new (excluding the pork pie). You mentioned no snare with that one so you would have to buy a snare as well. Tough choices!

Wesley Seeley

Reaction score
Question: What's your limit on purchase price? Reason I ask is because if it's in the sub $800 range, you can buy new (excluding the pork pie). You mentioned no snare with that one so you would have to buy a snare as well. Tough choices!
Well, I'm hoping so stay within the 500-850 range, so if I ended up getting one of the $600 kits (SJC & Mapex) I wouldn't mind spending 200-250 on a snare.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I'm hoping so stay within the 500-850 range, so if I ended up getting one of the $600 kits (SJC & Mapex) I wouldn't mind spending 200-250 on a snare.
Ah ok! That should get you what you want then. Hope you find it soon.

SnareBuzz76

Reaction score
I would go looking for well-maintained used gear; not feeling loyalty to any brand. Let someone else pay the sticker price, allowing you to get into something you ordinarily wouldn't be able to afford!

Up here in New England, there's a great shop:
https://thevillagedrumandmusic.com

There's amazing stuff filtering through there all the time. they ship anywhere ... Anthony does amazing restores as well!

I'm sure there's stores around you, too!

Buy with your ears!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
1st question: Do you like your snare? Cause if you like your snare, you can keep your snare.
Seriously, I remember being frustrated by 'Why can't I just buy a complete drum kit with everything I need' but the answer is 'because it's so personal'. Forget the idea of a snare coming with a kit ever existed. Get a snare you're happy with, then go revisit everything else. I'm not some wize grizzled old veteran, but it doesn't take long trying to get what you want to figure out they don't often go together. Now I find myself wishing that we could get away from this idea of 'Shell Packs' and 'The bass drum is part of the shell pack'. In Swarfrat's dream of the future, Bass and Snare would be a la carte, and TOMS would be a set.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you are on a budget the older (late 90's, early 00's) Mapex Mars Pro drums are really great. They are a Maple/Poplar shell and the construction is well done. You can find them used on eBay/CL for less than $500 all day. Send them off to get new edges cut and they sound amazing. I played a Mars Pro 22/14/10 set up for probably 18 years before I sold them. I had precision cut the 10 down to 7" deep, put new edges on the toms and then I put legs on the 14. It was fantastic; I regret selling that kit all the time.

dexter74

Reaction score
If you can find one in a finish you like, I highly recommend Rogers big R drums. They sound incredible. I've owned most vintage sets and a few modern sets and big Rs are my favorite sounding .

I also have a set of vintage tama swingstars posted here in the for sale section if you're looking for a solid used kit on the cheap ; )

Latest posts