Next project

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Are you looking at some wood veneer or a slick wrap?
The shells are a cool selection.
That has some very neat potential.

If you do a wood veneer and a good selection of hardware for them, those might do ok here. Looks like good sizes.

I’m always stoked when you take on a new one.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They would look really cool with a dark stained veneer or a dark wood, like walnut. But I guess it depends on if you plan to sell them when they're done?
Wouldn't you guys think that most of the potential buyers would be looking for a vintage kit? So I would think a vintage finish to match it's age would be most profitable?

I bet they would look really cool in a deep, glossy black laquer.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whenever I see that old school Ludwig logo, I think of Mod Orange, everytime.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vintage White marine pearl. Except for a very few, that finish is always a crowd pleaser, goes with any era, and looks sophisticated. Can't go wrong with wmp.

GeeDeeEmm

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are Rogers Fullerton drums, 22,13,16. Bass drum has a Ludwig head because thats all I had to put on it. I was thinking a veneer but will consider a wrap. I really hate to take the wrap off the bass drum, its in such good shape but then I would have to find matching floor tom and rack tom. I have been thinking on this for about a year or more, thats why I came here for some input. There is always a chance I might sell them down the road but for now the plan is to keep them. Last Rogers set I did was in KOA veneer and looked great, and it was a era correct finish. Not too worried about era correct, was thinking walnut as mentioned.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I could have some paint matched to the bass drum and paint the floor tom and the13in. In fact I have another 13 inch shell that I could use and save the black one for someone else. I kind of like the blue color and it sure would keep it as close as original as possible.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They are Rogers Fullerton drums, 22,13,16. Bass drum has a Ludwig head because thats all I had to put on it. I was thinking a veneer but will consider a wrap. I really hate to take the wrap off the bass drum, its in such good shape but then I would have to find matching floor tom and rack tom. I have been thinking on this for about a year or more, thats why I came here for some input. There is always a chance I might sell them down the road but for now the plan is to keep them. Last Rogers set I did was in KOA veneer and looked great, and it was a era correct finish. Not too worried about era correct, was thinking walnut as mentioned.
Sweet!

Is that blue sparkle wrap on the bass drum? You want to paint the toms to match it?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Also, what about a super light colored wood veneer? Like just a natural maple or something? Quilted?

fibes3

Reaction score
Why don't you wrap the 2 toms with blue sparkle to match the bass drum?

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thinking about painting the toms to match the bass, plus the possibility of making a snare to match. But, I do like wood drums so veneer is still on the table.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Im am starting to think that the paint idea is no good. I doubt I would ever be able to get the paint to look like the wrap, too much grain to fill in.