Next project

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Is that blue a cortex style wrap? Might still be available as Formica or Wilsonart.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is a cortex. But the plastic laminate used fot countertops is much thicker snd might be hard to work with. But it is something to look into so thanks fot the idea!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Don't they call it "vertical grade" laminate? Something like that. It's a thinner variation of countertop.

I don't know, seems plenty thick if you try to strip it off a drum.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't they call it "vertical grade" laminate? Something like that. It's a thinner variation of countertop.

I don't know, seems plenty thick if you try to strip it off a drum.
Well I looked through my Wilsonart samples, nothing there. Im gonna send a piece of the wrap to my supplier and see what they think. Might be on to something!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jellybean kit. Use the bass drum as your point of reference. Maybe blue bass drum, green rack tom and orange floor tom? It would definitely be different.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Worst case Bumwraps could duplicate that color on their wrap.

That is another good idea but they say they do not do color matching. So I would have to pick a color over the computer screen which is a bad idea. Im going to pursue the laminate idea first. I did look up vertical grade laminate and you are correct about that as well. See you taught me something! I have a supplier that I get my finish and hardware from but 80% of their sales is laminate. If they cant get it then it probably dose not exist. Thanks for your help, I will let you know what I find out. If I could find this in a laminate thin enough and the color matches then Im going for it. This would be the simplest method and I would have a great looking kit so thanks buddy!

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jellybean kit. Use the bass drum as your point of reference. Maybe blue bass drum, green rack tom and orange floor tom? It would definitely be different.
Not a fan of jelly bean kits but thanks for the input!

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of jelly bean kits but thanks for the input!
Honestly I'm not a huge fan of them either. But I think I saw earlier in the thread that you really liked the bass drum color and didn't want to change that. And I know with it being aged the color would be hard to match, that's the real reason why I said jelly bean kit. So you could keep that beautiful color on the bass drum and still make the toms stand out without going crazy over trying to match the bass drum

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
That is another good idea but they say they do not do color matching. So I would have to pick a color over the computer screen which is a bad idea. Im going to pursue the laminate idea first. I did look up vertical grade laminate and you are correct about that as well. See you taught me something! I have a supplier that I get my finish and hardware from but 80% of their sales is laminate. If they cant get it then it probably dose not exist. Thanks for your help, I will let you know what I find out. If I could find this in a laminate thin enough and the color matches then Im going for it. This would be the simplest method and I would have a great looking kit so thanks buddy!

I wonder if you could take that to a paint store and have them scan it for the exact color. I know they can do that and then mix paint to match but perhaps they can provide the exact number BumWrap uses for their system. There must be some sort of standardization involved. Just thinking "out loud" here. Another option would be to get the paint (perhaps an automotive paint) and paint the shells to match, or paint white wrap to apply...or paint the reverse side of a clear wrap to apply. More than one way to get this done....although finding the same original "cortex" would be the best option.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder if you could take that to a paint store and have them scan it for the exact color. I know they can do that and then mix paint to match but perhaps they can provide the exact number BumWrap uses for their system. There must be some sort of standardization involved. Just thinking "out loud" here. Another option would be to get the paint (perhaps an automotive paint) and paint the shells to match, or paint white wrap to apply...or paint the reverse side of a clear wrap to apply. More than one way to get this done....although finding the same original "cortex" would be the best option.
Those are some great ideas. As usual, from K.O.

I like the idea of painting a drum whatever color you like and then clear wrapping over top. Very cool.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well my original idea was to have my finish supplier match paint snd then I could spray the shells. I checked, Wilsonart does not have that color, would have to look at another company.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have some Wilsonart vertical grade laminate I have used on some of my drums. A word of warning, it is still thick and strong as hell. Worked fine for a bass drum and a 14" tom, but the 12, 10 and 8" toms need to have the veneer back sanded thinner so it can wrap around the drum without trying to spring back flat again. Other than that, it is pretty darn durable.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have some Wilsonart vertical grade laminate I have used on some of my drums. A word of warning, it is still thick and strong as hell. Worked fine for a bass drum and a 14" tom, but the 12, 10 and 8" toms need to have the veneer back sanded thinner so it can wrap around the drum without trying to spring back flat again. Other than that, it is pretty darn durable.
Thanks Tommy D for that info! I have never really liked working with laminate it is sharp and easy to cut your hands. Im very doubtful that I will find a perfect match anyway so Im sending a piece of the wrap from the floor tom to my supplier, they have a color studio and have a guy there that is really good at matching. He first uses the high tech camera to get a formula but its his eye that really tweaks it to perfection. I have no doubt he can match the color, its the sheen that Im worried about. This wrap is very glossy, Im not sure how glossy their finish is. The other concern is filling in the wood grain on the shells its gonna have to be smooth as a babies bottom to look good at all. I did request a sample from Jammin Sam, he has a blue wrap that looks close. Thanks again!

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The WilsonArt stuff I got was a total nightmare to cut. A utility knife doesnt cut it, sheers only get you so far then the material becomes a PITA and gets in your way. In the end I had to mark my cuts with 1/2" gaps between panels and use a dremel with a cutoff wheel to get the rough panels cut to size ( I bought a 4x8 sheet for my 5 piece kit). Then I got the edges nice and even and to the accurate size with a router and a flush cut bit. Overall it was much harder to work with than traditional drum wrap. In the end it looks cool though:

Last edited:

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ya that looks like a really cool finish on that bass drum! I think I would try to cut the laminate to size on the table saw but leave it 1/4" shy of each edge. Problem with that is I better get the the laminate on perfectly straight. Im really leaning towards painting them after all this discussion on working with laminates.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I have two samples on the way, one is laminate from that company I provided the link to and the other is a wrap from Jamming Sam. I also sent a piece of the wrap to my color studio for matching. So its gonna be fun to see how they look. I hope the wrap is a match, as Tommy D mentioned the laminate is no fun.

Latest posts