Next project

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought your other blue was really close. Fine job in my opinion. But now I am eager to see the next effort. You did a great job before, I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve next!

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you, the color was not right if you're looking at it here in person you would agree. I'm going to add some more blue colorant to the paint and try to darken it up and see what happens

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jcc: Great work ethic, bro!! You are doing a great job and i bet these end up looking great.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I got the blue, white and green coloring today but decided to go a different route. As I had mentioned earlier this paint is a clear that has been tinted with blue , white and green. I asked if he had used a gloss luster and the answer was no, he used a satin. So I asked for a quart of the paint in gloss but with a a tad bit more blue. This will be coming tomorrow, I am hoping I will have time to spray it tomorrow night.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Well I got the blue, white and green coloring today but decided to go a different route. As I had mentioned earlier this paint is a clear that has been tinted with blue , white and green. I asked if he had used a gloss luster and the answer was no, he used a satin. So I asked for a quart of the paint in gloss but with a a tad bit more blue. This will be coming tomorrow, I am hoping I will have time to spray it tomorrow night.
Good luck!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good luck Jc!! please post pics to let us know how you made out!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
With your extensive skills, tools and patience, you could have taken the bass drum wrap off, too. This way, the kit would "match" the blue wrap but be a real finish. As a lay person, I don't know how a new gloss lacquer finish on the toms could properly match the sheen, texture and look of an old vintage plastic wrap.

FWIW, I've never had luck matching, I suck as an amateur weekend woodworker, and have no real tools! I've always ended up re-doing all the drums so they at least had a matching hack job finish! Thus, I am interested in how you continue this project.....cheers!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is coming along really well.
Why aren't you just painting the 26" to match? Not your favorite color or something?

Looking great.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember around 10 years ago I played an outdoor gig in Long Island. An older man came up to me to talk about drums. Very nice guy, he had been a drummer in the early/ mid 1950s when the Big Bands morphed into smaller bands of 10 pieces or so. Anyway, he told me that at that time, alot of drummers had those big big 24 and 26 inch bass drums from the Big band era. They wanted a smaller, quieter bass drum in those days, so many drummers took those huge bass drum shells to a "Cooper", who was a man who makes and repairs wooden barrels, which were still used extensively for overseas shipping. The Cooper had all these specialized tools, braces, clamps, etc, and he would literally cut a chunk out the diameter of the shell, then reattach the edges. Now you had a 22 inch bass drum! I'm sure they had their tricks that laymen didnt know. Same for the wooden hoops. These guys could do ANYTHING with wood!! The drummer then needed just new Calf heads. I'm sure it was alot cheaper than buying a new bass drum! I had an uncle who was very very good with wood, and some of things he was able to do were amazing, so I dont doubt that a Cooper could do anything with a bass drum shell.

Last edited:

ThomasL

Reaction score
The drummer then needed just new Calf heads. I'm sure it was alot cheaper than buying a new bass drum!
Actually, they only had to remove the head from the flesh hoop, reduce the diameter of the wooden hoop, and tuck the head again.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tommy: You are right, I didnt think of that. Even cheaper! After doing the shell, the hoop must have been a piece of cake for them.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is turning out to be an interesting topic, thanks for the cool stories and for filling in while I work onthe color.
I had a ball this afternoon playing around with colors. Wish I had time to tell the whole story but typing with one finger takes too long. So in a nut shell I mixed something up and sprayed the shells again. Still thinking rewrap but I decided to go ahead and except the color no matter what, put them together and play them. So, fingers crossed.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is coming along really well.
Why aren't you just painting the 26" to match? Not your favorite color or something?

Looking great.
Ya, I'm only doing the blue because of the near mint condition of the 22" bass. If the paint job fails then I will wrap the two blue toms and the 26. If it is successful then I might paint the 26 the blue color.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With your extensive skills, tools and patience, you could have taken the bass drum wrap off, too. This way, the kit would "match" the blue wrap but be a real finish. As a lay person, I don't know how a new gloss lacquer finish on the toms could properly match the sheen, texture and look of an old vintage plastic wrap.

FWIW, I've never had luck matching, I suck as an amateur weekend woodworker, and have no real tools! I've always ended up re-doing all the drums so they at least had a matching hack job finish! Thus, I am interested in how you continue this project.....cheers!
Don't be so hard on yourself, I admire anyone who has the will to take on any project. And ya attempting to match a vintage wrap is certainly a challenge, I like a challenge and I think you do as well.

Latest posts