Next project

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey JC! Either you're having too much fun with this project...or you're losing hair over it! Regardless, I can appreciate how this becomes a personal challenge to you!

-Mark

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jc: I can see that youre a perfectionist, and thats great, but let me tell you that your colors are great. Remember.....you are doing the comparisons without the lugs, hoops, rods and heads. All those are a natural diversion to the eye.

I think your colors are going to be awesome. Do your clearcoat and build em!!

Awesome job!!!!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Looking good Jeff. Don't forget to factor in stage lighting. If you're at home appearance is secondary to sound and if you're gigging there will be colored lights on them. I know you're shooting for a perfect match but there are limits. If you ordered a new painted or stained tom from Gretsch to add to an existing set you'd be lucky if it was that close.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Excellent point from KO.......I have seen plenty of commercially painted drums that dont match 100%.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking great
How do you think they'll dry?
Once the lacquer flashes off they look a tad less shiney and not so wet looking. At the time of this post they look too satin so I'm thinking on one more clear coat with 1/3 satin and 2/3 gloss. It's definatly a different look between freshly sprayed and dried to touch.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I will say, it's daring trying to match that color paint! I'll just lean towards wrap or the occasional stain/oil job. Obviously, you have a keen eye. It's hard to see much difference. :thumbup:

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Keeper! I think that the black bass drum hoops are also possibly throwing the shade issue off a little. Take the bass drum hoops off so the dark glare of the hoops don't affect the comparison.

Regardless, I say it is a match and you have a kit for the rest of your life. Now go and play them!

Great job.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jc: Thats a keeper! Remember that the mounted tom matches the floor tom exactly, and thats what the eye will gravitate to when the set is set up. You have a great looking set...go enjoy them.

Great restore job on these, bro!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about shooting a coat of blue over the bass drum wrap? This way you know they'll match......????

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Coming together, I still think it's too satin. I might have to spray again