Next snare drum purchase?

gmiller598

Reaction score
I've got a LM402 and a Classic Maple 5x14.

If I were to shop for another snare drum to add to my arsenal thart would be different enough from these and affordable, what should I look at? I unfortunately gave away my Acrolite several years ago when I thought I'd never own a drum set so I'd been thinking about getting another one of those.

Thoughts?

Heyleuck

Reaction score
Yeah a 6.5 Acrolite looks like a fun drum to own. I've had my eyes on a special edition "Acrophonic" at a local shop

Perelandra05

Reaction score
I'll second the Black Beauty. My 6.5"x 14" gets used 90% of the time on recordings and I've got 7 other snares as well as whatever the drummer brings. Super versatile drum.

TPC

Reaction score
Maybe a deep wood drum? An 8x14 Ludwig coliseum? Can get super fat and also has that big, rich tone with snares off.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Are we looking strictly at Ludwig? I have a 60’s acrolite, a 70’s LM402 and a newer 6.5 Acrolite reissue so based on that I would be looking at brass or copper offerings.

gmiller598

Reaction score
Are we looking strictly at Ludwig? I have a 60’s acrolite, a 70’s LM402 and a newer 6.5 Acrolite reissue so based on that I would be looking at brass or copper offerings.
Not strictly Ludwig but everything I own right now is Ludwig. I also have a 6.5x14 Supralite as well and have considered a Black Magic as a more cost efficient drum with similarities to the Black Beauty.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a LM402 and a Classic Maple 5x14.

If I were to shop for another snare drum to add to my arsenal thart would be different enough from these and affordable, what should I look at? I unfortunately gave away my Acrolite several years ago when I thought I'd never own a drum set so I'd been thinking about getting another one of those.

Thoughts?
What kind of music do you primarily play? I think that will be the deciding factor on which snare to buy.

Old Dog

Reaction score
I have a couple steel snares, a couple birch, a couple maples. . .So I just picked up--still in transit--a Pearl Brass Sensitone.

I think it will fit in nicely. A Black Beauty would be sweet :thumbup:

mebeatee

Reaction score
When my next snare drum finds me I'll scoop it....
It seems when I go looking for a (certain) instrument it remains elusive, or when I see it in person it's not what I really want/need, the "new shiny" factor isn't there, or it doesn't "speak" to me enough to purchase.
For instance I knew of a shop that had a nice selection of snares and a couple were on my short list. The only problem/blessing was it was in a different city in a different country, although the band I was with went through every month or so.
Finally I decided to take the plunge, emailed the store to check on stock and was excited to buy a new drum (Dunnet if I recall)....then an orphaned early '70's silver sparkle 6 lug Ludwig 5 1/2 x 14 made an appearance....it came into the store a week or so before. Well seeing as I had a 1971 silver sparkle set of Ludwig's back at home with no matching snare it was a no brainer as that drum found me.
bt

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Not strictly Ludwig but everything I own right now is Ludwig. I also have a 6.5x14 Supralite as well and have considered a Black Magic as a more cost efficient drum with similarities to the Black Beauty.
The black magic's sound pretty good, actually probably hard to tell much difference, can sometimes find a world max on drumfactorydirect.com on sale