Next snare drum purchase?

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig 7x13 Supralite has become my favorite lately. I'm looking more and more at 13 inch drums.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The black magic's sound pretty good, actually probably hard to tell much difference, can sometimes find a world max on drumfactorydirect.com on sale
you can get a black magic, supralite, and world max for the price of one black beauty if you buy used. i have both a black magic and supralite. they are my main gigging snares for ten years now.

gmiller598

Reaction score
you can get a black magic, supralite, and world max for the price of one black beauty if you buy used. i have both a black magic and supralite. they are my main gigging snares for ten years now.
I think I've either been looking at a 5x14 black magic or acrolite the most. I like me 6.5x14 supralite. I got it before I got my LM402 but for the price it is definitely great. If the black magic just as good I'd certainly be down to get a good cheap brass snare.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've been keep my eyes open for Pearl Freefloater shells , maybe a maple and brass .

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ideally somewhere in the jazz/funk spectrum. I want my sound something kind of like Stanton Moore.
He uses his Gretsch USA signature drum a lot. I own a bunch of drums, including the ones that you currently own and a Stanton signature drum. It is a different beast, solid maple 4.5 deep. His drum is expensive, if you can find one. With patience you might be able to find a solid maple snare for less. I'd recommend something 5" deep or less if you can find it.

I'm a big Stanton fan, he has used one of my kits for a master class a few years back. I got to watch and listen as he tuned my kit up for that "Stanton sound".

I posted a photo of him at the master class and one of me using my Stanton signature snare drum this past October.

Attachments

stevil

Reaction score
You've got two very tried and true snares already. Go for something out of left field, like a Jenkins Martin fiberglass, or a big fat wood drum with roundover edges.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd like to give the new Gretsch Brooklyn Standard a go. The one Mike Johnston worked on with Gretsch. Anyone here try it out yet?

And maybe the Gretsch 6.5x14 COB. I have the 5x14 now. I like it but I dont LOVE it.

Last edited:

Iristone

Reaction score
I'm thinking of a Rogers Luxor, or Big R Dynasonic (maybe I'm aesthetically blind but I actually prefer the Big R look). But I'm a bit wary of USPS international shipping now, after the Premier 2000 I bought on Reverb went AWOL. :dontknow:

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Check out the new "Kalamazoo" series of drums from INDe. Sound killer.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just bought my SECOND Ludwig Coliseum!

(JDA calls them marching snares)

Am I crazy?
It is Chrome finish. In immaculate condition. I will use it with my Pink Glitter Slingerlands.

Its a pretty hip sound..my 16x13 bass drum with the 14x8 snare.

My other one was a Chrome finish that I had re-wrapped twice.
Once in pink glitter and now in BDP to match my Gretsch kit.

I love them.

Im getting it Saturday.
I have a concert Sunday.

Im debating which set to use.

Either way I can use my new coliseum snare.

Its a jazz quartet gig.

I love Billy Higgins and really dug the sound he got from that drum.

I love Al Foster and loved his Yamaha 14x8 snare.

Anyone else dig Ludwig Coliseums?

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lots of great suggestions here. I want to add my personal experience with some of the Ludwig suggestions. I have a Supra, Black Beauty, and Copperphonic all in 6.5". They are all GREAT drums and I recently had the LM402 for sale and thought better of it. All three are keepers. But, if you could only have one, I would pick the Copperphonic because it has the best qualities of the other two (if that makes any sense)...It is the "happy medium" to me. Not too bright, not too much ring, just right. As a bonus, it was perfect out of the box whearas the Supra didn't like the Ludwig stock heads and the BB needed a diecast hoop on the batter side to mellow out enough for my taste. The Copperphonic needed nothing to suit my taste. I hope this helps you in your search.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
He uses his Gretsch USA signature drum a lot. I own a bunch of drums, including the ones that you currently own and a Stanton signature drum. It is a different beast, solid maple 4.5 deep. His drum is expensive, if you can find one. With patience you might be able to find a solid maple snare for less. I'd recommend something 5" deep or less if you can find it.

I'm a big Stanton fan, he has used one of my kits for a master class a few years back. I got to watch and listen as he tuned my kit up for that "Stanton sound".

I posted a photo of him at the master class and one of me using my Stanton signature snare drum this past October.
I'd be interested in his approach to tuning your set.

johnlamond

Voiceover guy
Reaction score
I own a Ludwig LM-402 and a Classic Maple 6.5 x 14. I use them both for gigs. My other secret weapon is my Fibes Crystalite SFT 5.5 x 14. I highly suggest a Fibes SFT snare for your arsenal.

gmiller598

Reaction score
I'd be interested in his approach to tuning your set.
He has a youtube video from one of his drum camps talking about tuning. Most of it is spent on toms and a little on bass drum. I don't think snare tuning was covered at all in the video.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a couple steel snares, a couple birch, a couple maples. . .So I just picked up--still in transit--a Pearl Brass Sensitone.

I think it will fit in nicely. A Black Beauty would be sweet :thumbup:
The original Seni's' were great workhorses!
I had a 5.5x14,6.5x14 and the 5.5x13 brass,recorded wonderful.
My BB 6.5 talked!
Spank it!
Live and recorded,always there!