Next snare purchase - need suggestions.

Christian C.

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a serious case of G.A.S, and the only cure is another snare drum! :headbang:
But seriously, I'm looking for suggestions for my next snare purchase. Here's what I own currently:
5x14 Ludwig Supra (70s)
6.5x14 Ludwig Supra (Modern)
6.5x14 Tama Dynamic Kapur

The size I'm looking for is 5x14 or 5.5x14. I'm thinking something along the lines of a brighter wood snare drum, like birch or maple. Conversley, If I went with a metal snare, I'm thinking the darker sound of bronze would be a good fit. My preferred brands are Ludwig, Tama, Pork Pie, and Yamaha, although I'll consider any brand. I'd like to keep the price under $500. Thoughts?

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you can find a 5.5x14 five ply slingerland you wont be disapointed. Any wood slingerland drum has a great sound but the five ply’s are underated and therefore a bargain.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you don't already have a Tama Starclassic Maple snare drum, you need one.
Best snare out there, imo. I have three of them.
It has a nice throaty mid range that most other maple snares do not have.
Die cast hoops, snare adjustment on both sides, stay-lock tension washers, very nice shells and finish options.

Bullseye_Doc_Holiday

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DW 10&6 5.5x14 maple is a great drum with an iconic crack that you’ve probably heard on tons of records. That would be my vote. Heck, my only 2 snares are a 6.5x14 Black Beauty and a 5.5x14 DW 10&6. They cover all the bases!

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would suggest finding a recording of a particular snare drum sound/artist that you like then hone in on the brand. I.E. Bonham- 402. Charlie- DW. Ringo- jfest. Vinnie - Gretsch and so on down the line. Or just join the club and buy a new snare drum every month!

kzoosteve

Reaction score
After hearing and playing Inde in person, I’d go with their snares all day. Almost all are under 500 and sound amazing.

Steve

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also have this in birch. This matches your size requirement, as well. This won't break the bank either. Less than $200.00, shipped.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can get a NEW Black Magic NOB in that 5X14 size for less than $400.........the Taiwan version of the Black Beauty.
Tube lugs and cast hoops -- I bought the 7X13 -- very versatile and it rocks !
Because I had credits and discounts, I ordered mine through MF and it showed up shipped in the factory packaging perfectly pristine.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Try a Pearl Free Floater with a maple shell . You can experiment with different shell types afterwards - acrylic, metal, fiberglass etc .

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first instinct is always to recommend Gretsch (and I do!), but judging by your collection I'd say you should find a Ludwig Classic Maple 14x5. They're under $500 even before discounts, but deciding on a finish is the hard part...

cplueard

Reaction score

Or the Dynamic Bronze if you can find one.

I'd highly recommend this. Yamaha really does something special with oak.

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Christian C.

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Update! I've had my eye on this one, and I decided to pull the trigger. I adore that mahogany veneer.

Last edited:

Latest posts