NGD - Yamaha Stage Custom Birch

Nubs

Reaction score
Ordered it and it arrived today:

First impression: Excellent! This kit is WORLDS better than the Crush I was playing. The feel, sound, and look are all top notch, even with the stock heads (except bass drum).

That bass drum has a great boomy, rounded sound to it with the Aquarian head on it. No pillow needed. And I was surprised at the sound I can get from the stock heads, so they stay on for now.

It all came in 1 box and was very straightforward to set up. For now I'm not using the tom mount, but I may down the road and test out the 10" tom. For now, it sits in the closet.

The snare is pretty decent as well, although I think a better batter would really make it shine. I'll change that out shortly.

Overall, this is one serious kit! It reminds me of the Spaun kit I had custom built back in 1999 which costed me about $2500 then. And the color is outstanding! I think it's a stain, but it's amazing to look at either way.

Very happy with this kit! Thanks all for the help and suggestions! Now it's back to playing!

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very happy with this kit! Thanks all for the help and suggestions! Now it's back to playing!
You have made the intelligent decision. Been over a decade with my Stage Customs now and I still love the kit as much as the day I first got it.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Your kit looks 'tight',man!
Great kits!
I wound up using clear Emps over coated Ambas for resnos.
Added a touch of warmth.
The bass is killer in any size!
I snugged in a dish rag to both heads!
Congrats!
Oh,with a little tweakin,that snare will talk!
The birch is crisp on the players side but out front its fully developed!
Cool tone wood!

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered it and it arrived today:

First impression: Excellent! This kit is WORLDS better than the Crush I was playing. The feel, sound, and look are all top notch, even with the stock heads (except bass drum).

That bass drum has a great boomy, rounded sound to it with the Aquarian head on it. No pillow needed. And I was surprised at the sound I can get from the stock heads, so they stay on for now.

It all came in 1 box and was very straightforward to set up. For now I'm not using the tom mount, but I may down the road and test out the 10" tom. For now, it sits in the closet.

The snare is pretty decent as well, although I think a better batter would really make it shine. I'll change that out shortly.

Overall, this is one serious kit! It reminds me of the Spaun kit I had custom built back in 1999 which costed me about $2500 then. And the color is outstanding! I think it's a stain, but it's amazing to look at either way.

I hear they're good for punk rock.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard a bad example of SCB from any era yet. I played one exactly like yours in the rehearsal room below ours and was in disbelief at the quality for the money. Yamaha!

Ian S

Reaction score
Beautiful! Congrats Nubs! The rest has been said here already.. :thumbup: