Nice to get to a drum shop!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I travel for work weekly pre Covid. Since March 2020, I have not left and Zoom is awesome! However, I miss going over to see my buddy Dana Bentley in Fresno. Well, I had a quick trip yesterday for work and got to see him and check out the store! Man, it was a great feeling! They are doing well and it was buzzing. Saw a few of the employees too and caught up. Got to test out many snares. Loved the 8x14 raw brass Ludwig. The DW 6.5x14 carbon fiber was incredible! Found a great walnut Gretsch and a Ludwig 5x14 copper - wow! I didn't buy, but I definitely test drove for a few hours! We shared our drum scores and he had some great new pieces and stories. They also had a neat hand sanitizer "hands free" hi hat stand made by Dixon which was so cool! And the bonus is Dana has his guy back who can do bearing edges and rewrapping. He had samples of the guy's work and it looked fantastic. As much as I love Precision, the shipping and handling always kills me as we are on opposite coasts. Here I can drop off and get them done right plus it's an excuse to go back so I'm very excited about getting some stuff done soon.

20210816_153310.jpg

I also got to pop into the local Guitar Center which was a ghost town. Their Drum Dept. was awful. All of the snares are now on the wall so you can't play them and there was hardly any cymbals in the cymbal room. Very disappointing. And of course nobody at the desk to help. It was literally in and out.

On my way back I hooked up with a guy on Craigslist. His dad passed away in 2000 and he had a dusty drum set in storage for sale. Turns out it was a 6 lug vintage WMP Slingerland snare, a 14 x 20 WMP Rogers Center lug with the one tension rod bass drum, 12" and 13" Pearl vintage fiberglass toms, some vintage Ludwig and Rogers stands, and some junkie Pearl cymbals. He wanted $500 for the lot and I wasn't going to go anywhere near that price. I gave him my honest opinion and he was very thankful about that. He used to live in my neck of the woods and we started talking about car week because he had come out to Monterey and that was cool. The guy ended up giving me some cold water (it was a hundred degrees at 7PM!) and a chocolate bar for the road so he was definitely a guy I want to keep in touch with and another drum brother.

I miss traveling for work. I would always try to weave some sort of a drum deal and stop at the local music store on my trips. This was the perfect trifecta and reminded me of the good old days. And next time I hope I score some gear!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've never been in his shop, but I have ordered stuff from him over the years. Great guy to deal with.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How was the stock situation? I was just in Alto Music in Middletown, NY yesterday and all the Pearl, Gibraltar, Tama, Yamaha parts sections were empty. They said it’s been on order for months. Too many empty hooks and shelves for my liking.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dana is a stand up guy and very knowledgeable. He had plenty of selection. Lots of Gretsch, DW and Ludwig kits. I saw some Yamaha kits and a few Pearls. He has about 30 sets of hats on display and a wall of cymbals, as well as rows of them. A UFIP event was starting today and I had been wondering why there were tons of UFIP's on display. Plenty of the usual Z, P & S cymbals. Probably 100 snares like usual. I would say easy 20-30 new kits on the floor, probably at least 10 used kits (stacked in back), and about 1/3 of the place is all sorts of percussion.......

I didn't check out the parts section, per se, but they have a back wall of parts of all brands. Nothing stood out to me as lacking or missing. I did buy a 13" coated Amb. head for a vintage Gretsch tom. Other than that, he had a 20" Dream bliss paper thin crash that was a tad too raw (even with some tape) for a ride, but it was a decent crash. The used cymbal collection was maybe 30 or so (rather low), but he did say he is expecting a large shipment of 70's - 90's Zildjian and Sabians he scored. That should be interesting. Got to pop into the vault, too, and check out some stuff - a rosewood Sonor that was awesome, a Gretsch walnut square badge 6/8/10/12/13/14/16/18/22, a Camco something I didn't play, and a B/O Jazzette kit.

I asked about A&F and if he had them, but he didn't have any.....oh well, still hoping to come across one of those. I think my fave snare of the day was the DW carbon fiber. It was super thin and light with a matte finish. It has a nice deep tight crack. Seemed like a one trick pony and I didn't formally take it off the rack to put it through some of my rude-iments (spelled that way since I don't know any, nor can play them!).

He had a 60's Supra that had been pitted to heck and he told me he got it powder coated. I checked it out - it was great. All was coated except the rods. I've been thinking about a way to finish my '69 SS converted to a Supra as it is also pitted badly so I may go that route.......