Nick D’Virgilio

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
That makes sense. Not just from his perspective, but from the other various manufacturers Sweetwater sells.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know who he endorses but you can tell what he favors personally by his facial expressions & body language. On kits it's Ludwig & Gretsch.
He glows extra when he plays either one!
That's my impression anyways!

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know who he endorses but you can tell what he favors personally by his facial expressions & body language. On kits it's Ludwig & Gretsch.
He glows extra when he plays either one!
I’m pretty sure he used Ludwig on his last tour …

mesazoo

Reaction score
Nick is a great player, but his demos/reviews are pretty worthless considering he has never said a single bad word about any piece of equipment he has ever tested. How is anyone supposed to take the review seriously when he cant say a single criticism about anything? This may not be a problem with Nick, but a problem with Sweetwater.
They are not reviews, they are overviews of products for sale.

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The snare sound on those Spock's Beard tunes drives me up a wall, not sure why. Like taking a cheese grater to my ears then pouring turpentine all over them. Great player though.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nick is a great player, but his demos/reviews are pretty worthless considering he has never said a single bad word about any piece of equipment he has ever tested. How is anyone supposed to take the review seriously when he cant say a single criticism about anything? This may not be a problem with Nick, but a problem with Sweetwater.
This is hilarious. I always wanted to see a toothpaste commercial where the one dentist out of 10 says something bad about the toothpaste.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The fact is, Nick's comments during his demos are equally as favorable for a Yamaha Stage Custom as they are for a Phoenix kit. Everything is great! It doesn't matter what you buy, it's great! They are essentially paid promos for the gear.

Contrast this with Shane at DCP and he will tell you the good and the bad of a product. He will tell you his biases on certain gear. He will tell you the differences in pro gear vs regular consumer stuff. And he sells all the gear he reviews. I feel that I get a real review and demo of the gear when I'm watching Shane talk vs Nick. I'm getting better playing when watching Nick, but if I'm looking to buy a piece of gear, I trust Shane a lot more than Nick to give me the real information I need to make a decision.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
They are essentially paid promos for the gear.
I believe several people have already said so much. You don't expect a car salesman to say bad stuff about a product unless he's trying to sell you something else. It's not wrong, he's just doing HIS job.

There was an episode of American Pickers where Frank asks a guy "What's your best price", and the guy says "That IS _MY_ best price. What's YOUR best price?" a humorous way of not losing the first round of negotiations.

The fact that he's wearing a salesman's hat doesn't make him a bad person. It's his job. If you're seeking the dirt on a product, it's not really fair to expect a salesman to tell you - that's just lazy and not in his interest.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe several people have already said so much. You don't expect a car salesman to say bad stuff about a product unless he's trying to sell you something else. It's not wrong, he's just doing HIS job.

There was an episode of American Pickers where Frank asks a guy "What's your best price", and the guy says "That IS _MY_ best price. What's YOUR best price?" a humorous way of not losing the first round of negotiations.

The fact that he's wearing a salesman's hat doesn't make him a bad person. It's his job. If you're seeking the dirt on a product, it's not really fair to expect a salesman to tell you - that's just lazy and not in his interest.
Lazy??? If I'm doing research on a piece of gear I'm watching lots of different videos and reading reviews of the gear to give me better knowledge of the product. I don't consider doing due diligence to be lazy. However, something I know is that I will never get an honest answer on the quality of the gear out of a Sweetwater video. As I said in my original post, this may not be a fault of Nick's, but of Sweetwater. Again, as I said in my original post, Nick is a great player. I know I'll get very nice drumming watching one of his videos, but I would prefer to buy from a company who tells you the whole story than one that only says what they need to say to sell you the product.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I would imagine he’s got a pretty nice situation going on with SW. He doesn’t have to deal with being on the road, he gets to get paid to do what he’s always done, all while being with his family, playing drums. And then more. He also demos other gear as well. He’s a pretty good guitarist and a great singer. Loved him with SB, even when he was their front man. He seems like he’d be a great hang. Oh, and I loved what he did for Kevin Gilbert and finishing Gilbert’s album Shaming of the True years after Gilbert died. Just stellar stuff.

Last edited:

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I heard from his interview soon after he got SW gig, that he no longer endorses any company just because he gets to use all of the companies at SW.
If he went that route and turned down money that’s a rarity for any musician to do that. Endorsements are usually $$$ for big names. Must be contractual with SW.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really enjoy hearing/watching Nick play. He's so natural, smooth, and effortless in everything he does. The feel is always there too. He gets a great sound and he does it with a smile on his face. You just know that he really enjoys the process. Good for him.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contrast this with Shane at DCP and he will tell you the good and the bad of a product. He will tell you his biases on certain gear. He will tell you the differences in pro gear vs regular consumer stuff. And he sells all the gear he reviews. I feel that I get a real review and demo of the gear when I'm watching Shane talk vs Nick. I'm getting better playing when watching Nick, but if I'm looking to buy a piece of gear, I trust Shane a lot more than Nick to give me the real information I need to make a decision.
Shane is the owner of DCP! He can say whatever he truly feels about a product and take it up directly with the manufacturer. Again, Nick is just a salesguy getting paid to pitch products with no bias. There is a big difference between the two!
I agree with you though that for true product analysis, Shane is the guy to watch. But Nick is a good source to see & hear a product in order to judge it yourself.

Last edited:

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's a sales gig; not an independent youtube channel.