Nick Mason Appreciation Thread

jb78

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First and foremost, I hope that everyone on this forum and their loved ones are staying healthy and peaceful.

Second, I searched and couldn't find a thread solely devoted to Nick Mason. I've always been a fan but for whatever reason, I'm finding Pink Floyd to be perfect corona virus music. I'd love to hear from other lovers of Nick's playing, info on his gear, etc.

JB

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
There was a period of my life when I absolutely loved his playing ... DSOTM especially. I played to his grooves over and over again. Just pure inspirational laid back "stuuuuuff". Love that.
I don't listen to much of it anymore, but that doesn't take away from all that I learned from his relaxed and sparse approach. Just good stuff.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From the late 80's and 90's is where I loved the band and later Gilmour solo the most.

Thunderous sounds out of his (and Gary Wallis') custom Collector's kit in Birdseye Maple. Nick outfitted his with Aquarian's where Gary used clear Remo heads.

Gary Wallis - Nick Mason.jpg

Gay Wallis & Nick Mason in front of Gary's massive 14-piece kit.

Wallis kit new age 1.jpg

1/3th of Gary Wallis kit (with new fittings) and Nick'sedge snare from the ''The Divison Bell Tour'' a.k.a. P.U.L.S.E.

I saw the tour with my pops and it was sooo good, he is getting older but he was never the best timed drummer anyway. (hence why Gary was brought aboard) He excels in the 60's and 70's vibes.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I saw the Saucerful of Secrets show last spring, and I thought he was great. He plays as good as ever in that laid back style of his, and even threw in some double bass here and there. DW and Paiste ass the way for him - very entertaining and genuine.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's hard not to be a fan after Pink Floyd At Pompeii. The Paistes hurt my ears, but I love his drumming. Made me have to buy a 20" 2002 Ride like his. :)

Dan

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly...I have never been a fan of “drummers” or “guitarists” etc. Don’t get me wrong-I recognize and respect the talent-but I have to be a fan of the music before I really dig into the players that make it up.

With that out of the way...lol.

Been a Floyd fan from around 1977 or so when I first heard them. Hung with them tight up to The Wall when I kinda got off the wagon. Love the band and listen to them regularly even today.

Nick Mason is one of my favorite drummers-because I love the band... Similar to Mitch Mitchell-love the songs he did with Jimi Hendrix, which puts him on my “favorite drummers list”.

Some of Nick’s best work in my opinion is on Meddle. Really some interesting pieces (like San Tropez) when compared to Floyd’s larger catalog.

He came out of a period of hugely diverse bands and certainly made his mark as a member of one of the biggest bands ever. All this without becoming a public spectacle or an ass....

Seems like a class act to me.

gmiller598

Reaction score
I saw the Division Bell tour in HS and got to see him on the Saucerful of Secrets tour last Spring. I loved that tour as early PF is highly underrated. Was super cool to see him in a small theater.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First and foremost, I hope that everyone on this forum and their loved ones are staying healthy and peaceful.

Second, I searched and couldn't find a thread solely devoted to Nick Mason. I've always been a fan but for whatever reason, I'm finding Pink Floyd to be perfect corona virus music. I'd love to hear from other lovers of Nick's playing, info on his gear, etc.

JB
I am a huge fan. I've listened to Pink Floyd so much my whole life that his grooves have a way of finding there way subconsciously into my playing. Case in point...after I finished a set at a recent open jam with my bandmates, one of the other players there asked me if I listened to alot of Pink Floyd. He asked because a couple of them were in the back of the hall, listening and trying to figure out what I was playing while our band was doing the Allan Toussaint song, On Your Way Down (Little Feat version). I did listen back to a recording of it and damn if I wasn't playing the groove for Breathe (In The Air). Nick Mason is in my DNA.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
First Floyd record I bought was Umagumma when it first came out - $ 3.99 at Miracle Mart
Next came Atom Heart Mother - $ 3.99 at Miracle Mart

and so on .

Mason's drumming was hip and accessible to a kid full of dreams like me .

Dark Side was pretty slick, but my favourite has to be Obscured by Clouds .

He had a melodic sensibility that created the perfect foundation for Waters' compositions .

It wasn't that long after seeing Live at Pompeii that I moved heaven and earth to acquire my first serious kit - B/O silver sparkle Ludwigs .

Last edited:

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I saw them in the early Spring of 1973, not even sold out, at Kent State Gymnasium. It was the first time I heard DSOTM. The album had barely been released but nobody knew about it yet. It was the first time I saw lasers, fog, and pyrotechnics. First time I saw or heard Roto-toms as well (solo on Time).

Then I saw them again later that year -- summer -- at Blossom Music Center, a large outdoor amphitheater. By then DSOTM had exploded. Sold out. Kids were sneaking in all over the place, hiking an hour through heavy woods to find a breach in the fence.

Same show both times. They OPENED with Echos! Careful w/that Ax, Set the Controls, etc. Then they took a break, and came back with DSOTM, complete. Encore was One of These Days.

I had just turned 16. Nick Mason was a huge influence on me.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Given Pink Floyd’s chart-topping reign from the 70s into the 2000s, isn’t it surprising Mason and his co-drummer were omitted from Rolling Stone’s Top 100 Drummers of All Time?

gmiller598

Reaction score
First Floyd record I bought was Umagumma when it first came out - $ 3.99 at Miracle Mart
Next came Atom Heart Mother - $ 3.99 at Miracle Mart

and so on .

Mason's drumming was hip and accessible to a kid full of dreams like me .

Dark Side was pretty slick, but my favourite has to be Obscured by Clouds .

He had this melodic sensibility that created the perfect foundation for Waters' compositions .

It wasn't that long after seeing Live at Pompeii that I moved heaven and earth to acquire my first serious kit - B/O silver sparkle Ludwigs .
I love Obscured by Clouds. A highly underrated album. It might just be my favorite as well.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Obscured by Clouds. A highly underrated album. It might just be my favorite as well.
Same here. If not #1 at least #3. I'd go Animals, Echos, Obscured By Clouds and then the rest. Me and my BFF (and guitar player in the blues band) jam PF songs on acoustic guitar all the time. Wot's...Uh The Deal is good open mic tune. Also love playing the weird tuning song, Fearless, on the Echos album. We skip the part where Liverpool FC fans are singing You'll Never Walk Alone at the end.

gmiller598

Reaction score
Same here. If not #1 at least #3. I'd go Animals, Echos, Obscured By Clouds and then the rest. Me and my BFF (and guitar player in the blues band) jam PF songs on acoustic guitar all the time. Wot's...Uh The Deal is good open mic tune. Also love playing the weird tuning song, Fearless, on the Echos album. We skip the part where Liverpool FC fans are singing You'll Never Walk Alone at the end.
My personal top 3 involve some order of Obscured by Clouds, Animals, and DSOTM and then followed by a group of Meddle and Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Overall, my favorite songs are Echoes, Astonomy Domine, and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.

It was a real treat seeing Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun on the Saucerful of Secrets tour.

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Count me in as a fan. Wanted to check out his Saucerful of Secrets tour, but unfortunately never got the chance.

As far as gear, here are a couple of pages I’ve poured over a time or two.

1975 Paiste book:

1981 Paiste book:

And of course:
View attachment 433633
I remember staring at those photos for hours while listening to the album.

Last edited:

prplx

Reaction score
Huge fan of PF, my favourite band by far actually, and huge fan of Mason. It wasn't always the case though. When I was young, stupid and full of myself, I'd listen to a lot of prog, and thought Mason was the weakest link in the band. I'd listen to Yes or King Crimson, and thought PF would be so much better with a more technical drummer like White or Bruford.
I only realised later how perfect his simple hard fpndation is for the atmospheric groove of PF.