Nick Moffo drums ?

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, does anybody have ANY info about Nick Moffo fiberglass drums ? I'm trying to make a deal for a set, but can't find any info, other than his recent passing on May 9th.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
famousdave said:
Hey guys, does anybody have ANY info about Nick Moffo fiberglass drums ? I'm trying to make a deal for a set, but can't find any info, other than his recent passing on May 9th.
Never heard of them, but if it's this kit $150 seems like a deal.

Attachments

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's the one. Can't go wrong at that price, just thought someone might have some info.....

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, done deal ! And, as luck would have it, the seller is coming from Tucson through Chicago on the 19th, so, $150 delivered ! Turns out it was part of a large 26" double bass kit, and it's built out with pearl lugs & hardware. Any other info on Nick or these drums would be appreciated.....

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nick Moffo ? Anybody ? I kmow he taught on the east coast, maybe late 70's early 80's. These drums have a sticker/badge that say "Nick Moffo custom drums. USA 1983. Does anyone know anything at all about these ? Or Nick ?

OptikDrums

Player
Reaction score
famousdave said:
Nick Moffo ? Anybody ? I kmow he taught on the east coast, maybe late 70's early 80's. These drums have a sticker/badge that say "Nick Moffo custom drums. USA 1983. Does anyone know anything at all about these ? Or Nick ?
I'm going to start digging up info on this guy. I recently purchased one of his outstanding 60s gretsch kits. Hopefully i can come back after fruitful digging with some info.

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not much info to be had....Never heard of him and Gretsch in the same breath. Spoke to a former student, and the guy was an absolute schyster.....All cheap imported crap that he was re-branding, most as Stryker Drums- Made in the USA. Sold mostly to un-suspecting student parents at a rediculous mark up. When he died this spring, the entire attendance was his wife, and the one former student. And, those drums never made it to Chicago- guy cancelled his trip...Also, there was a forum post from a guy and his dad who bought the inventory from the estate. A few old k istanbuls in the pile, but it seemed like little else worth mentioning.

ptechjpjr

Reaction score
Famous Dave, you are running your mouth about someone you never met on info you got from an ex student of Nick's? That shows your credibility right there.
Nick was my teacher for 15 years, right up until his passing. You know nothing about Striker Drum Company or Nick's unbelievable talent behind the drums or his amazing style of teaching. The main reason you won't find much information on him is because he didn't own a computer and conducted business face to face or via phone. Barely even used a cell phone. The info you are spreading about the attendance at his viewing is absolutely false too. I know this because I was there.

Please stop running your mouth about this man, he could outplay 99% of drummers out there only using his feet and one hand, even at 70+ years old.

mabdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ptechjpjr said:
Famous Dave, you are running your mouth about someone you never met on info you got from an ex student of Nick's? That shows your credibility right there.
Nick was my teacher for 15 years, right up until his passing. You know nothing about Striker Drum Company or Nick's unbelievable talent behind the drums or his amazing style of teaching. The main reason you won't find much information on him is because he didn't own a computer and conducted business face to face or via phone. Barely even used a cell phone. The info you are spreading about the attendance at his viewing is absolutely false too. I know this because I was there.

Please stop running your mouth about this man, he could outplay 99% of drummers out there only using his feet and one hand, even at 70+ years old.
Hey man, sending you a PM

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
i was fortunate enough to score his burgundy gretsch bop kit(s). they were beautiful. you could tell he really loved and respected them.

ptechjpjr

Reaction score
Roundbadgedude,
I can guarantee you this, if Nick kept those drums, they were great sounding drums. I'm glad you were able to acquire his set. Please use the energy from him that is stored in those drums for a good cause.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I knew Nick in the late 80s early 90s. He was always really nice to me. His sticks were amazing and had great names, bitch hammer and war club come to mind. His drums? I had a drum teacher named Paul, hell of a guy, hell of a drummer that was a salesman for Striker drums. He had one of the top line kits in his studio and a mid level Remo that his students played on. The Striker was decent sounding to my ear at the time, mind you I was 15. It sounded better than the Remo but Paul was also a great drummer so it could have been him on the Striker. The cymbals I remember being good but I do recall that those were re branded. He made his own heads too and one of the lines was supposed to loosely mimic calf skin. The estate sale could until recently still be found in a link on here in one of my posts asking if anyone knew what happened to Nick.

ptechjpjr

Reaction score
One more thing famousdave, Nick was never married so please explain how his wife was at the viewing and funeral. I don't know how I missed that in your post before. I must have still been very upset over the passing of my teacher.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
One more thing famousdave, Nick was never married so please explain how his wife was at the viewing and funeral. I don't know how I missed that in your post before. I must have still been very upset over the passing of my teacher.
You might want to keep in mind that famousdave's most recent post on this topic was Dec. 10,2015.