Nicko leaves Sonor for British Drum Co

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
BDC posted a teaser video announcing Nicko is now a BDC artist. Didn’t see that coming! I thought he was happy as could be to be back with Sonor from everything I’d seen & heard from him in videos relating to his gear.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good for them both! He and Sonor made a great team and were a huge part of each other for many years, here's hopping this union will be equally as successful. I know Sonor fans will be disappointed, but I see it just as a change, not a betrayal. A change I am surprised at mind you as I think of the Sonor's as being very adept to his style while I have to take a moment to see BDC as such a heavy rocking drum... but he obviously saw it. Congratulations to them both.

NOTE: I wont edit that post as I think it's wonderfully wordy and pretentious just as it is! I laugh at the things I post on the boards from work... my head is in such a different place and it shows up in my writing. I wonder if the people I work with read my notes and emails with the same humor I just did and think... he's such an idiot!

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This was in the works for a while. Started with the KEO practice pads .I am wondering about the hardware situation as BDC does not have any yet.
But this is a good match , no? He will make a great ambassador.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Smith is one of the only Sonor artists who is "well" taken care of....
I play Sonor drums but don’t really have any loyalty to the company as it stands today and what drums a fella plays is somewhat irrelevant to me.

Perhaps McBrain answered the call of Nationalist pride and decided to throw his considerable influence behind the home team.

What kind of support do top artists expect from Sonor, is it a spec-ed kit wherever they show to play?

I couldn’t imagine providing McBrain a spec-ed kit. His kit is insane.

In most other circumstances I think it is probably McBrain’s techs responsibility to provide him his support, set up, maintenance, repair, replacement, bag of both spare parts and tricks and such.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play Sonor drums but don’t really have any loyalty to the company as it stands today and what drums a fella plays is somewhat irrelevant to me.

Perhaps McBrain answered the call of Nationalist pride and decided to throw his considerable influence behind the home team.

What kind of support do top artists expect from Sonor, is it a spec-ed kit wherever they show to play?

I couldn’t imagine providing McBrain a spec-ed kit. His kit is insane.

In most other circumstances I think it is probably McBrain’s techs responsibility to provide him his support, set up, maintenance, repair, replacement, bag of both spare parts and tricks and such.
Disclaimer: I have zero firsthand knowledge of this particular situation...

That said, it isn't about having a full spec kit everywhere you go, especially with a gigantic rig like Nicko's. His tech(s) can only do so much without immediate response from the A&R contact at whatever company they work with.

It IS about getting replacement parts overnight wherever you may be on the planet. It IS about getting a call returned first thing in the morning if a problem arises. It IS about taking care of your artist in any way you can, including telling them where a dealer is located that will remedy whatever crisis just appeared out of thin air without charging the artist directly. I'm not saying Sonor wasn't doing these things, but they have gotten a reputation in the industry for slow-rolling at times, even on their "A-list" endorsers. I know nothing about BDC, but I'll bet they drop whatever they're doing if Nicko's tech calls and asks for something...That level of artist service is priceless.

Latest posts