Nicko McBrain & Iron Maiden

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Last week, I went to see Iron Maiden (Hartford, CT). I had last seen them back in the 80s. They were absolutely fantastic. I'm not sure I was expecting them to be as good as they were. It was 2 hours of on your feet intensity and tons of fun. And Nicko McBrain, character that he is, was just great. He really played his tail off. Yeah, his tempos can fluctuate juusssst a little, but the band is locked in and rock solid. That Paiste Bell Ride he plays is one beautiful cymbal! So good to see this band at the top of their game. If you have a chance, go see them - you won't be disappointed!

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is Bruce still piloting their aircraft on the tour? I saw a documentary some years ago about one of their tours where he was in his proper flight attire, at the helm of the big jet.
I guess he has his commercial license. Pretty cool!

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I’m not sure about this tour but I know he did in 2016. The plane is titled Ed Force One!

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Saw them in Charlotte in July.

I was very pleased by Bruce Dickenson's words to the crowd, "We're not playing any new songs tonight," and they stuck to the high points, "Aces High," "2 Minutes," "Flight of the Icarus," "Number of the Beast, "Iron Maiden," etc.

I was disappointed that they chose Raven Age as the opener. Steve Harris' son is in that band, and I found them to be thoroughly generic and uninteresting. In the recent past, they've had bands like Ghost and Gojira open.

Oh, I also have a complaint with the many people holding their phones out for much of the show to film the video screens in the venue. You can stay home and do that at your house. I hate all of you.

Still, it was a great night, even 50 feet back from Repete's amazing vantage point.

Death to false metal.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Nicko seems to be one of the gentlemen in the industry as well. AND he plays SONOR, so...

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Personal observation: Whenever I see my favorite bands from the past, I find the band almost always performs well but the singer is the weakest link because they either do not have the range anymore or they have to transpose some songs to accommodate him. I have not seen Iron Maiden in ages! How is Bruce's vocals holding up ?

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Personal observation: Whenever I see my favorite bands from the past, I find the band almost always performs well but the singer is the weakest link because they either do not have the range anymore or they have to transpose some songs to accommodate him. I have not seen Iron Maiden in ages! How is Bruce's vocals holding up ?
Personally I think he sounded incredible and on the last few studio albums as well. He also had a type of throat cancer a few years ago that he beat.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Personally I think he sounded incredible and on the last few studio albums as well. He also had a type of throat cancer a few years ago that he beat.
Iron Maiden stuff is not exactly easy to pull off either so kudos to Bruce !

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I thought he sounded great as well. Obviously some of the range is gone (he’s in his 60s), but he sounded incredible.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Dick
I think it's mainly singers who stupidly smoked over a long period who seem to have the biggest vocal problems/changes.

Thankfully, I don't think Dickinson is in that group. His voice certainly changed (at least 20 years ago), but it worked better than his flamethrower on the night I saw them.

Very entertaining, and the energy of the entire band is pretty amazing considering (1). I saw them on a very hot Monday night and (2). they're all in their late 50s, early 60s.

I think Nicko is very impressive and I always marvel at the fact that his last name, which actually is McBrain, is so perfect for the drummer of Iron Maiden.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dick

I think it's mainly singers who stupidly smoked over a long period who seem to have the biggest vocal problems/changes.

Thankfully, I don't think Dickinson is in that group. His voice certainly changed (at least 20 years ago), but it worked better than his flamethrower on the night I saw them.

Very entertaining, and the energy of the entire band is pretty amazing considering (1). I saw them on a very hot Monday night and (2). they're all in their late 50s, early 60s.

I think Nicko is very impressive and I always marvel at the fact that his last name, which actually is McBrain, is so perfect for the drummer of Iron Maiden.
See, if they helped the drummer load and unload stuff, they would not have had enough time to smoke and their voices would have been just fine ! :cool:

Latest posts