Nicko McBrain offers to quit band after mistake

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Seems like much ado over nothing.

Saw Tool year before last, they started into The Pot and something was wonky so they all stopped, said "we're going to start this one over" and did.

There were no injuries or fatalities and the show went on and it was a fantastic show.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That’s the beauty of live music, you never know when the song will fall apart, a drumhead will break, power may cut out, someone falls off the stage. It’s life, it’s never perfect.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Good to know I’m not the only one that blows the intro on occasion. LOL.
It happens! I once saw Sarah Vaughn on live television open with the wrong song, stop, apologize to the band and start over. We are performers, not, robots.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I make so many mistakes, years ago I promised myself that if I ever played a “perfect” show (very subjective term)I’d buy myself a Black Beauty.

I posted a thread about it somewhere on this forum. Took me about 20 years, but I finally got a B. Beauty, after which I immediately went back to making more mistakes. Even more embarrassing now, since I’m making them using a Black Beauty, which is supposed to be a totally pro drum.

One of the most endearing errors was in my beloved, but now defunct originals band. We headlined a multi band show, and our last song the singer—who was always just perfect— did her preamble:

“This is a song that’s very personal to me…so emotional it took me three years to write, and about six months for us to finally get an arrangement down…it starts with this really cool guitar part which I play…(And here she was clearly struggling to find the chords)… But I can’t remember right now… And you’d think I could remember it… Because I wrote it…. (Hit some really off chords)…I was basically born playing this guitar intro… But now for you people… I can’t remember it….”

She was truly at a loss. The whole band stared at her, and the audience laughed because she was so vulnerable and honest about it, and she saw the humor in it as well. I climbed down from the drum riser and hummed the part into her ear.

She started playing it, obliquely, and announced: “Yep. This is a guitar intro so bad ass, our drummer has to show me how to play it. I’d dedicate this song to him, my mack daddy Curty, but I’m afraid I’m might forget the words….”

She hit it full bore and we slammed into the best version we’d ever played.

snappy

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember one night the crowd seemed to care less we were there , we flubbed an intro so bad they all started laughing, we restarted it and they hooped and hollered the rest of the night ….
I like your story.
The band showed integrity and class.
The crowd appreciated the bands character.

Tornado

DFO Master
Reaction score
Imagine how long it's been since he's made a mistake that he thought they'd want to fire him over making one. Sounds almost like uncharted territory.