Nicko McBrain offers to quit band after mistake

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember a part in Billy Wards DVD that a student he had got canned for one mistake on a gig ..

It seemed that the mantra was .
“ You gotta be perfect “

It seems musicians are held to a higher standard than most other jobs ….

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nicko is a riot.

Maiden doesn't seem to be the type of group that would can someone after a mistake, a series, sure...

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
At a clinic with Billy Ward,he was with Joan Osborn,on stage and he kicked off the wrong tune! Ouch!
Keepin it real,I guess.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I remember a part in Billy Wards DVD that a student he had got canned for one mistake on a gig ..

It seemed that the mantra was .
“ You gotta be perfect “

It seems musicians are held to a higher standard than most other jobs ….
Depends on how bad the mistake was.

Yeah, like being a professional musician is easier than any other professional job. Heh...

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Imagine how long it's been since he's made a mistake that he thought they'd want to fire him over making one. Sounds almost like uncharted territory.
This was the powerslave tour, so he only took over from Clive burr a year or two before that

Quai34

Reaction score
Respect for a person who: 1) recognizes a mistake; 2) does not look to deflect or blame someone else; and 3) admits mistake and takes responsibility.
Yes, if the guitarist I worked with could have done anything but that, I would have stayed but after a year and a half of him always blaming the others, drummer, bass, singer etc...it was too much.... I was automatically recognizing a mistake, in practice and live, remembering them, noting them to know where I should focus next time.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There’s the old adage that goes....make a mistake and then repeat it....ya got jazz.....make the mistake again and you’ve invented a new form of music.
Or if you are going to make a mistake....make sure it’s a real good one.
bt

Core Creek

Reaction score
I saw Winger (make fun all you want - Rod kicks ass) about 12 years ago at a small venue in NJ. After playing the guitar solo to one of their hits, Reb (the guitarist) turned to Kip (singer, bassist) and said something- and Kip then stopped the band mid song, came to the mic, and said something like “Reb thinks he could have done that so much better, we’re going to try that again”, and they redid the whole solo section and finished the song. I was floored at their true desire to give the best they could.

Similar at a Steve Vai show - his pedal cut out a few times and he finally just stopped the band and said his tech needs to sort out a bad pedal, the band left the stage, and a swarm of guys heading straight to his rig.

I have the utmost respect for musicians who give the best they can. I can relate the feeling of failing to live up to that standard. I respect Nicko admitting he flubbed. If he didn’t care about putting on the best performance pls she wouldn’t have said anything at all.

Corbin L Douthitt

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I make so many mistakes, years ago I promised myself that if I ever played a “perfect” show (very subjective term)I’d buy myself a Black Beauty.

I posted a thread about it somewhere on this forum. Took me about 20 years, but I finally got a B. Beauty, after which I immediately went back to making more mistakes. Even more embarrassing now, since I’m making them using a Black Beauty, which is supposed to be a totally pro drum.

One of the most endearing errors was in my beloved, but now defunct originals band. We headlined a multi band show, and our last song the singer—who was always just perfect— did her preamble:

“This is a song that’s very personal to me…so emotional it took me three years to write, and about six months for us to finally get an arrangement down…it starts with this really cool guitar part which I play…(And here she was clearly struggling to find the chords)… But I can’t remember right now… And you’d think I could remember it… Because I wrote it…. (Hit some really off chords)…I was basically born playing this guitar intro… But now for you people… I can’t remember it….”

She was truly at a loss. The whole band stared at her, and the audience laughed because she was so vulnerable and honest about it, and she saw the humor in it as well. I climbed down from the drum riser and hummed the part into her ear.

She started playing it, obliquely, and announced: “Yep. This is a guitar intro so bad ass, our drummer has to show me how to play it. I’d dedicate this song to him, my mack daddy Curty, but I’m afraid I’m might forget the words….”

She hit it full bore and we slammed into the best version we’d ever played.
I am not a songwriter... but I admire folks that do- and can jeep the 'right' version in their head when it is needed..