Nickymoon Custom Cymbals - thoughts on a new cymbalsmith based in NJ

VinSparkle

Reaction score

Guys, a few months ago, and after a long search / cross checking his reputation with other cymbalsmiths across the country, I asked Nick to work on an old 20” Paiste 2002. I wanted to transform it into a jazz ride. Essentially, asked the impossible given the sonic qualities of B8 bronze and the brittle nature of the metal.

Suffice to say, Nick did an excellent job of hammering this B8 bad boy into a subtle, dark and slightly trashy jazz ride. He also lathed it a couple times to take out some weight and refinished the edges which were dinged up a bit.

Nick took great interest in the project. We spoke a few times and had seemingly endless convos over text (a good thing bc I had a lot to convey to him).

Also, and this is a huge plus, he’s based in NJ and is reasonably priced.

I encourage you to check out his own line of cymbals too. They are really gorgeous both in terms of tone and appearance. Superlative craftsmanship.

V

Last edited:

VinSparkle

Reaction score
Some pics. Forgot to mention, he also refinished the cymbal with some sort of acid (don’t quote me) to give it a softer tone and cool look.

C639383E-7C2C-422E-A63F-DBDBE5529898.jpeg

0B829DF6-11B0-4B5B-9FA3-ABF978578BB1.jpeg

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks...I checked out the site and dropped him a message. Mind if I ask what he charged?

VinSparkle

Reaction score
$150. My work was done at the end of 2018, just FYI. Looks like he's been featured in Modern Drummer since then. In any case, he's a great guy and does great work. Worth it if you have a project that needs a lot of care and attention to detail.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
$150. My work was done at the end of 2018, just FYI. Looks like he's been featured in Modern Drummer since then. In any case, he's a great guy and does great work. Worth it if you have a project that needs a lot of care and attention to detail.
Did message him and may give him a shot if the cymbal (a 20" Roctagon) doesn't sell. Because of the shape he's just going to hammer it...no lathing. I'm ok with that....price is reasonable.

VinSparkle

Reaction score
Some before pics and one mid-process pic (after pics above)...send me your email address and I can send some vids...

246D3B60-FA57-4912-A2C6-2969E60A724E.jpeg
BD5944AC-5D8E-4CF5-978E-1EC59A94DE0F.jpeg
8DAE1641-FF42-4B45-810C-8E4CF8B94B15.jpeg

VinSparkle

Reaction score
Did message him and may give him a shot if the cymbal (a 20" Roctagon) doesn't sell. Because of the shape he's just going to hammer it...no lathing. I'm ok with that....price is reasonable.
I believe he breaks out pricing between lathing, hammering, and exterior finish work. If it’s just hammering, I’m sure it will be less.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've traded some messaging with him and follow him on Instagram. Def seems passionate about what he does and seems like a good guy. He typically has sounds files for all his work on his website. He recently cleared out his stock with a big sale but sounds like he is hard at work on a new series of stuff.

VinSparkle

Reaction score
This is a great interview. I like the part on Nick’s affinity for B8. Consistent with a convo we had when I gave him my 2002.

Last edited:

RickPlaysDrums

Reaction score

Guys, a few months ago, and after a long search / cross checking his reputation with other cymbalsmiths across the country, I asked Nick to work on an old 20” Paiste 2002. I wanted to transform it into a jazz ride. Essentially, asked the impossible given the sonic qualities of B8 bronze and the brittle nature of the metal.

Suffice to say, Nick did an excellent job of hammering this B8 bad boy into a subtle, dark and slightly trashy jazz ride. He also lathed it a couple times to take out some weight and refinished the edges which were dinged up a bit.

Nick took great interest in the project. We spoke a few times and had seemingly endless convos over text (a good thing bc I had a lot to convey to him).

I encourage you to check out his own line of cymbals too. They are really gorgeous both in terms of tone and appearance. Superlative craftsmanship.

V

Sounds like a superb artisan.

messineo21

Reaction score

V
Where abouts in Jersey is he? I have a Swish knocker I want thinned out and hammered.

Latest posts