Nicole Glover, Holy Mackerel!!!

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy Moley. I listened to only a few minutes and was blown away. I an going to have to devote some time to watching this. Bebop is still alive!

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Cool... this is a name that I know! I helped to found and then put on a jazz festival in my town, The Montavilla Jazz Festival (started going on 8 years ago! see: montavillajazz.org) and we have the most creative, brightest lights from the Portland jazz scene on the bills that we put together. Nicole Glover has been on the bill several times, dating back to the first festival that we had where she played in a band of George Colligan's who's a monster musician better known for keys but was leading band this time out on drums (and he smokes on drums too! He's played keys with Jack Dejonette's band). Some years later a band that she fronted and that was given 2 tier, just below headlining billing (that's how much we like her!) played at the fest and she was fantastic! Incidentally, that band had a guy named Alan Jones on drums, who's another amazing player (and composer) and who is pretty much of an institution here in Portland. We really do have some amazing jazz music here in town, even if it mostly isn't the kind of stuff that's getting much national recognition. There may be a profile of the Portland jazz scene on NPR coming up and if that thing happens, it's going to profile our festival among other things. I don't want to say much more about it but if it it's ago, I'll make a mention here of when it airs.

I'm glad that she seems to be doing well in NYC and has captured the attention of none other than Wayne Shorter (can you do any better?). She really deserves it, I think...

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you are this surprised about jazz being alove, you peeps should check Re:freshed.

London’s Jazz has a pool of these young (some even younger) killer cats like Moses Boyd, Nuby Garcia, years ago a very young Richard Spaven, and many more kids.

BlackPearl

Reaction score
Did you catch her guest appearance on Emmet Cohen's weekly streaming show from his apartment ? That show alone demonstrates the health of jazz IMHO - he's had a lot of younger up and coming performers, as well as some veterans of the NYC scene I hadn't heard of . The whole show is on Youtube, but he also posts highlights each week, like this :