Nirvana - In Bloom | Drum cover by 14 yr old Josh Cru

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well done!

Having said that, I don’t know what you have in your ears, but, I would make sure you are doing everything you can to protect your hearing from high decibel noise from your drums, from the in-ears you are using, and from other’s amplified instruments. It doesn’t take much to cause damage. And, once the damage is done, it’s done.

Cru Drums

Reaction score
I do the best I can at protecting my hearing. I am actually going this week for a hearing test and will do those every 6 months, I never play without my in-ears unless I forget to put them in during Worship Services but my parents are quick to tell me to put them in when I forget. I wear in-ears on covers but when I practice I use over the ears protection.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I do the best I can at protecting my hearing. I am actually going this week for a hearing test and will do those every 6 months, I never play without my in-ears unless I forget to put them in during Worship Services but my parents are quick to tell me to put them in when I forget. I wear in-ears on covers but when I practice I use over the ears protection.
Just be aware that there are some who think in-ears themselves may do more harm than good.

Cru Drums

Reaction score
Just be aware that there are some who think in-ears themselves may do more harm than good.
Thanks Gripper, is there any type of hearing protection you can recommend? I don't mind spending on hearing protection so what brand would be a good alternative to in-ears?

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks Gripper, is there any type of hearing protection you can recommend? I don't mind spending on hearing protection so what brand would be a good alternative to in-ears?
First, I don’t mean to lecture you. But, as a 14 year old who plays a loud instrument and loud music, you can still take steps to preserve your hearing and not regret that you didn’t, like many.

Having said that, a while back, a DFO member @nomsgmusic, turned me on to G-K Ultraphones, which are over the ear closed back earmuffs. They are literally Peltor gun range earmuffs with Sony sound components. Many members here swear by them. They are big and deep and completely encapsulate your ears. Nothing touches your ears (unless you’re a Ferengi lol). And the sound source is away from your ear, as opposed to inside your ear canal close to your ear drum. When I first put them on it was like stepping into a soundproof booth. I’ve tried other over the ear earmuffs that claimed high levels of noise suppression, and none of them came close to this level of protection.

Here’s a link if you are interested:

Cru Drums

Reaction score
First, I don’t mean to lecture you. But, as a 14 year old who plays a loud instrument and loud music, you can still take steps to preserve your hearing and not regret that you didn’t, like many.

Having said that, a while back, a DFO member @nomsgmusic, turned me on to G-K Ultraphones, which are over the ear closed back earmuffs. They are literally Peltor gun range earmuffs with Sony sound components. Many members here swear by them. They are big and deep and completely encapsulate your ears. Nothing touches your ears (unless you’re a Ferengi lol). And the sound source is away from your ear, as opposed to inside your ear canal close to your ear drum. When I first put them on it was like stepping into a soundproof booth. I’ve tried other over the ear earmuffs that claimed high levels of noise suppression, and none of them came close to this level of protection.

Here’s a link if you are interested:

Thanks Gripper! I don't take it as lecturing, I am 14 and inexperienced in many parts of drumming. I actually was searching "hearing protection for drummers" as a result of your post and saw the G-K headphones. Is it hard to play with these headphones on compared to in-ears? Again, thanks for the post, I do try hard to protect my hearing but your post really heightened my thinking on protecting my hearing...I want to play for many years to come but would quit if my hearing starts taking a hit.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks Gripper! I don't take it as lecturing, I am 14 and inexperienced in many parts of drumming. I actually was searching "hearing protection for drummers" as a result of your post and saw the G-K headphones. Is it hard to play with these headphones on compared to in-ears? Again, thanks for the post, I do try hard to protect my hearing but your post really heightened my thinking on protecting my hearing...I want to play for many years to come but would quit if my hearing starts taking a hit.
It's not hard at all. The isolation felt a bit strange at first. But, I will tell you after using them for a few weeks, I was quite surprised how loud my drums were without them.

mozartist

Reaction score
Nice job, brother. This was one of the first songs me and my band covered back when the album came out. Everyone knows it and it's got a nice grove that everyone can get into. Keep up the good work, man.

Cru Drums

Reaction score
Thanks You! I really enjoyed playing it. I just finished up "Holiday" by Green Day and really liked that as well. I appreciate the words of encouragement...

Last edited: