NKD: 1969 Ludwig Bonham Kit - Updated Correct BD Logo

Ludwigs4Life

Reaction score
I don't post here often but I thought I would share this since it's been a while since I've found anything cool. Well, this is pretty freaking cool. Found this 1969 Black Diamond Pearl Ludwig kit not too far from my house. The sale included the following: 14x26 kick, 10x14 rack tom, 9x13 rack tom, 16x16 floor tom and the seller threw in a 1971 Supraphonic 402!!! Bass drum is a virgin shell with clear maple interior. Freaking sick!! Extremely clean set with minimal pitting on the chrome and little to no fade on the wrap. I started breaking it down tonight for a thorough cleaning. Here are some crappy iPhone pics for your viewing pleasure:

bcarey13

Team Bonham
Reaction score
Wow...that is great. I have a 71 Bonham kit that is my favorite of all time...I love a 26"...Very cool on the Keystones!! Congrats

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
that looks like a very nice kit. enjoy those!

mike

edge

Reaction score
Wow Wow! Don't ever sell those, aside from being some of the best sounding tubs ever made they are incredible light to move, major score!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Wow that is cool! Bonham actually played a BDP set before he got his maple set. Not sure what those sizes were though. Nice grab!

Ludwigs4Life

Reaction score
Thanks for positive responses!! Can't wait to finish cleaning her up and playing them. I'll post some better pictures as things progress.

tommy1

Reaction score
Very nice ! Can`t wait to hear your description on how they sound. Your going to love those. Well done.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Beautiful drums! Nice find. They will sound better than any new drumset, probably bought for a great deal.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
Very nice looking drums. Black Diamond Pearl from Ludwig and all of the major drum companies is a very classy looking wrap. Here's a question that I have wanted to ask you Luddie huggers. Was John Bonham the ONLY drummer to ever play with a 26" bass drum and toms of those sizes? I'll answer my own question. I think not.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
. Here's a questn that I have wanted to ask you Luddie huggers. Was John Bonham the ONLY drummer to ever play with with a 26" bass drum and toms of those sizes? I'll answer my own question. I think not.
I think Carmine Appice was there first with the 26" bass (as far as "rock" drummers go). He got Bonham signed up as a Ludwig endorser and got him a kit that matched his own...which was the thermogloss maple with the 26".

Of course 26" was pretty much the standard size bass drum for drummers back in the big band era.

Very cool set in that BDP. Nice to know that there are still sets like this surfacing.

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
W&A Player said:
Very nice looking drums. Black Diamond Pearl from Ludwig and all of the major drum companies is a very classy looking wrap. Here's a questn that I have wanted to ask you Luddie huggers. Was John Bonham the ONLY drummer to ever play with with a 26" bass drum and toms of those sizes? I'll answer my own question. I think not.
Who else made them sound like that ??NoBody !!

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
vintagemore2000 said:
Very nice looking drums. Black Diamond Pearl from Ludwig and all of the major drum companies is a very classy looking wrap. Here's a questn that I have wanted to ask you Luddie huggers. Was John Bonham the ONLY drummer to ever play with with a 26" bass drum and toms of those sizes? I'll answer my own question. I think not.
Who else made them sound like that ??NoBody !!
That is a separate issue, and subject to various opinions.