NKD: 1969 Ludwig Bonham Kit - Updated Correct BD Logo

Ludwigs4Life

Reaction score
Finished cleaning up the bass drum. Completely disassembled, repainted the hoops, cleaned and polished all the chrome, slapped on some new heads and I think it's good to go:

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So great. Amazing find. Can't be too many keystone 26s out there, especially in such great condition.

You keeping them?

Ludwigs4Life

Reaction score
GoJaskill said:
So great. Amazing find. Can't be too many keystone 26s out there, especially in such great condition.

You keeping them?
Indeed. There was a blue sparkle keystone badge kit that went for big bucks on eBay a couple of months ago and it had a center post mount. Aside from that one I haven't seen one like it in quite some time. I'm probably going to hang on to it for a while but never say never. This is the 8th or 9th 3-ply 26" I've landed since I started looking back in '02 or so. After I sell one I tell myself there will be another but they are getting tougher to find...

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Beautiful!!! I recently bought a '69 Thermogloss 26-15-18-18 w/ matching canister throne, and am in love with them (I'd post a pic, but this is your thread, not mine!). There is just NO substitute for a KB 14x26 bass drum...instant Zep bass drum punch and tone without even doing any work.

Congrats!

Ludwigs4Life

Reaction score
mlvbs said:
Beautiful!!! I recently bought a '69 Thermogloss 26-15-18-18 w/ matching canister throne, and am in love with them (I'd post a pic, but this is your thread, not mine!). There is just NO substitute for a KB 14x26 bass drum...instant Zep bass drum punch and tone without even doing any work.

Congrats!
By all means; post pics please!!

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwigs4Life said:

Congrats!
Ha! Ok...

View attachment 216819

Here's one with the proper logo (haven't stuck it on yet):

View attachment 216820

And a quick vid of my friend playing them:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ludwigs4Life

Reaction score
mlvbs said:

Congrats!
Ha! Ok...

69_Luds.jpg

Here's one with the proper logo (haven't stuck it on yet):

logo.jpg

And a quick vid of my friend playing them:

Bravo!! So killer!! What's the back story??

Last edited by a moderator:

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwigs4Life said:
Thanks! They originally belonged to a drummer named Sonny Ray, who played for an "almost famous" band called Buckwheat. They had a few minor hits, and made somewhat of a name for themselves, but never hit it big.

Unfortunately Sonny passed away in 2012, so we'll never know the story of how he got these drums. I have to think that he either knew Carmine Appice, or was connected enough with someone at Ludwig to have gotten these sizes and finish, way back then.

-Bill

Ludwigs4Life

Reaction score
mlvbs said:
Thanks! They originally belonged to a drummer named Sonny Ray, who played for an "almost famous" band called Buckwheat. They had a few minor hits, and made somewhat of a name for themselves, but never hit it big.

Unfortunately Sonny passed away in 2012, so we'll never know the story of how he got these drums. I have to think that he either knew Carmine Appice, or was connected enough with someone at Ludwig to have gotten these sizes and finish, way back then.

-Bill
Very cool story. Similar to the story on mine. Local semi-famous drummer, Randy Feagin played it for years in various bands and recently passed away. Bought it from is son Paul off of Craigslist.

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwigs4Life said:
Very cool story. Similar to the story on mine. Local semi-famous drummer, Randy Feagin played it for years in various bands and recently passed away. Bought it from is son Paul off of Craigslist.
That is excellent! There's something extra cool about a vintage kit that was owned and loved by a great musician.

anthonyfossaluzza said:
Yea bill I've waiting on your post about those drums!
I've been slowly getting them up and running! They were actually at my friend's place in LA until I picked them up a couple of weeks ago. I'll get some pics going at the original thread once they're all cleaned up!

bcarey13

Team Bonham
Reaction score
mlvbs said:
That is excellent! There's something extra cool about a vintage kit that was owned and loved by a great musician.

anthonyfossaluzza said:
Yea bill I've waiting on your post about those drums!
I've been slowly getting them up and running! They were actually at my friend's place in LA until I picked them up a couple of weeks ago. I'll get some pics going at the original thread once they're all cleaned up!
Man....not to derail the thread of the incredibly nice Black Diamond Pearls...but Bill those Thermo's are my dream kit....

I have two Bonham kits from the early 70's...One Black Oyster and one Black Panther, but the Thermos are a huge want.

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
W&A Player said:
Very nice looking drums. Black Diamond Pearl from Ludwig and all of the major drum companies is a very classy looking wrap. Here's a question that I have wanted to ask you Luddie huggers. Was John Bonham the ONLY drummer to ever play with with a 26" bass drum and toms of those sizes? I'll answer my own question. I think not.
Aside from other drumers as mentioned,Cozy Powell,when a Ludwig endorcer,while with Jeff Beck,played 26" double bass.

Steve B

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Mlvb set has a 12" by 15" tom with the small classic lugs, ala a tenor drum. It would be interesting to know when 12 x 15 toms
with the larger classic lugs did start to be offered. They are not offered as an option in the 1967 catalog, but they are listed in the 1971 catalog. I should see if I can find a picture of the Carmine Appice set in thermogloss with the two bass drums and the single center 12 x 15 tom and see what lugs are on that drum.

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Speedy Keen said:
The Mlvb set has a 12" by 15" tom with the small classic lugs, ala a tenor drum. It would be interesting to know when 12 x 15 toms
with the larger classic lugs did start to be offered. They are not offered as an option in the 1967 catalog, but they are listed in the 1971 catalog. I should see if I can find a picture of the Carmine Appice set in thermogloss with the two bass drums and the single center 12 x 15 tom and see what lugs are on that drum.
Good eye! Carmine's had large lugs, but he's said before that it was originally a snare drum.

doctor dirt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Danelli was using one before Bonham & Appice and he used it very well!
Danelli was a major influence for young drummers with his set up, style and sound!
He's probably a little older than most members here. Before he was a recording star he gigged
all over the northeast in every kids club in existence. I covered the same haunts and we shared a few billings
around 1965!!
The 14x24 & 26 comes from the Big band Era when the drum sets were not mic'd although the band stands on many
big club gigs had "open mic's" for the different sections.

If I'm not mistaken the great Chick Webb early in his career used a 12x26 and was one of the first drummers that had
multiple toms and percussion toys hanging off stands similar to a drummer and percussionists in a pit setting for theatre work.
Doc.