NKD: 197? Red Silk Ludwigs from Craigslist:

manoeuver

Reaction score
Quick reflexes snagged me these Luddies today.
Nice kid had upgraded to a newer Pearl kit.
She's raising money for a 70s camper van! Hell yeah.

it's missing some rims and T-rods. It's got spurs, tom arms and 3 FT legs.

Badges are pointy and chewed up real bad (as they should be.)

The floor tom is kind of a wreck. Before I left it behind at the warehouse (the 12 is with me @ home for the spa treatment) I moved the top rim and put it over the oblong bottom edge to start to get the thing back into round.
any advice on working with this thing is welcome. (HELP!)

The 12 is cleaning up nice already. FT problems notwithstanding, 3 out of 4 will make great players with a wipedown and some parts (most of which I may have lying around already.)

very happy so far.

hit me if you've got a 22" bass drum hoop and/or t-rods/hooks around.

2020-08-02 15.32.29.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Nice score. Not sure what you would do to get that drum in round again but I'm sure there are plenty here that could answer that question. BTW this set looks to be at least 1973 or later. Those silk finishes were first listed in the '73 catalog and Ludwig moved the muffler over the badge sometime in the mid to late 70's.

manoeuver

Reaction score
Nice score. Not sure what you would do to get that drum in round again but I'm sure there are plenty here that could answer that question. BTW this set looks to be at least 1973 or later. Those silk finishes were first listed in the '73 catalog and Ludwig moved the muffler over the badge sometime in the mid to late 70's.
I didn't know that-- what's with the clear finish on the interior then? I thought they'd gone to granitone by 72.

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that-- what's with the clear finish on the interior then? I thought they'd gone to granitone by 72.
Ludwig uses both clear hot lacquer and Lud-Cote (Granitone) interior finishes at the same time during part of the 1970s. Lud-Cote goes away by the mid to late 1970s and then only the clear hot lacquer is observed on main line drums.

manoeuver

Reaction score
The plot remains at a slightly confusing consistency.

serial numbers:
16: 1637337
13: 1633564
kick: 1633213
12: (mangled)

Rob's Cook Book is confusing me a little.

I don't care that much when these come from (70s is close enough) but it may be of interest to some folks here.

manoeuver

Reaction score
love to get some help on this one, folks:
Right now I've got multiple passes of rope around the bottom of the FT to coax it back into round, hopefully enough to get a head on it.

Has anybody here tried getting something like this back into shape? What did you try and how did it work out?

Attachments

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The plot remains at a slightly confusing consistency.

serial numbers:
16: 1637337
13: 1633564
kick: 1633213
12: (mangled)

Rob's Cook Book is confusing me a little.

I don't care that much when these come from (70s is close enough) but it may be of interest to some folks here.
Rob's dating info for 1970s drums is not very precise, but he was the first to try for the blue/ olive badges. Almost 20 years later, more information is available which points to 1977 +/- as an estimate for the serial numbers you list.

Last edited:

manoeuver

Reaction score
Rob's dating info for 1970s drums is not very precise, but he was the first to try for the blue/ olive badges. Almost 20 years later, more information is available which points to 1977 +/- as an estimate for the serial numbers you list.
Cool! thanks for the info. Always interesting when new info comes to light.
I bought a copy of your Gretsch dating book last year, it's all pretty interesting stuff.

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool! thanks for the info. Always interesting when new info comes to light.
I bought a copy of your Gretsch dating book last year, it's all pretty interesting stuff.
I wrote one on Ludwig also, which tells you how I came up with my 1977 +/- estimate for your drums.