header.nohb.html

NMD - New Mic Day

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I just bought a Behringer BA 19a boundary mic for my main gigging kit, my Pearl Exports. Previously I had been using a Gear One MK1000 I picked up years ago from a bad person Stupid Deal of the Day for $20 or $30. Nothing wrong with that mic, it actually sounds much better than you'd expect. Just time for a change and I wanted to use the Gear One externally on the full reso head with an internal Beta 52 on my Rogers kit in my home studio.

The Behringer really punches above its weight and I actually like it better than the Shure Beta 91a because it has a fuller sound. I already had a homemade iso mount setup but I had to make a different holder for the mic. I cut some scrap plywood and covered it with felt in case of reflective sound waves, then had to add a pillow because this mic is much more sensitive than the Gear One. Not too bad for a $69 mic. I did a quick recording but the real test will be at our gig Friday. The place with that infamous "stage" I mentioned before, which I'm not using.

That's my kid helping with the ukulele some friends gave him. He has to "play" it anytime I'm doing anything with music.

PXL_20220623_205816515.MP.jpg

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just bought a Behringer BA 19a boundary mic for my main gigging kit, my Pearl Exports. Previously I had been using a Gear One MK1000 I picked up years ago from a bad person Stupid Deal of the Day for $20 or $30. Nothing wrong with that mic, it actually sounds much better than you'd expect. Just time for a change and I wanted to use the Gear One externally on the full reso head with an internal Beta 52 on my Rogers kit in my home studio.

The Behringer really punches above its weight and I actually like it better than the Shure Beta 91a because it has a fuller sound. I already had a homemade iso mount setup but I had to make a different holder for the mic. I cut some scrap plywood and covered it with felt in case of reflective sound waves, then had to add a pillow because this mic is much more sensitive than the Gear One. Not too bad for a $69 mic. I did a quick recording but the real test will be at our gig Friday. The place with that infamous "stage" I mentioned before, which I'm not using.

That's my kid helping with the ukulele some friends gave him. He has to "play" it anytime I'm doing anything with music.

View attachment 567416
The fiddler in my band (who also runs a studio) has been raving about this mic for a few weeks. I definitely want to try it if it works even half as good as the reviews and user comments say it does.