No BRONZE for you!

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really ? What about the Bronze Black Beauty snares they just introduced last year ? Maybe that was a way to use up their bronze shell stock ?

Last edited:

Torquey

Reaction score
I don't know about any word on the street, but I don't see any bronze on their current website. I KNEW I should have held on to my 6 1/2 hammered bronze snare... See snare lineup below:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow......glad I have my arsenal.........Hey Ludwig, big mistake, HUGE.......

And I note that in 2021 part of their "new lineup" is copper and brass 10 lug Acro's????? Or as they are otherwise known, Supra's with bow tie lugs! ???????

Last edited:

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
why would they do that ? Brass drums outsell them so it's not worth it ?

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow! Maybe cost reasons are making this decision for them? I fortunately own 2 Bronze Ludwigs. Both are Hammered 5x14. My Supra has diecast hoops and tube lugs. The Super Sensitive has Triple Flanged and Imperial Lugs. Not crazy about the wire buzz on the Super Sens when the snare is off, cause it buzzes against the small gate of the hoop. I will probably seek out a larger opening snare hoop at some point. But with the snares on, this drum sings!

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wonder if it might have something to do with a plating/lacquering issue on some of the newer ones. I have two modern 5x14's, one smooth, one hammered. You can see a sort of ghosting issue around one of the Imperial lugs on the smooth shell, and I notice a similar issue around the rubber tube lug gaskets on the hammered. Very subtle in person, but it's there. I suspect it's a reaction to the rubber gaskets. It reminds me of the reaction my Sonor SQ1 Cruiser Blue finish had because of the rubber gaskets on the mounts.

20210118_113028.jpg

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
Really ? What about the Bronze Black snares they just introduced last year ? Maybe that was a way to use up their bronze shell stock ?
I think you might be onto something there, Rick. No issues with the nickel plating on my Bronze Beauty. If anything, it's an even deeper black finish than on my brass BBs. Perhaps it was a wise move on their part to use black nickel instead of clear lacquer for the remaining shells.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wonder if it might have something to do with a plating/lacquering issue on some of the newer ones. I have two modern 5x14's, one smooth, one hammered. You can see a sort of ghosting issue around one of the Imperial lugs on the smooth shell, and I notice a similar issue around the rubber tube lug gaskets on the hammered. Very subtle in person, but it's there. I suspect it's a reaction to the rubber gaskets. It reminds me of the reaction my Sonor SQ1 Cruiser Blue finish had because of the rubber gaskets on the mounts.

View attachment 480528
Looks indeed like something's wrong with the rubber! I removed those grommets right away (not a lacquered shell though in my case).

Vicey

Reaction score
Ludwig seems to have been really pushing copper as a snare material in the last few years. I wonder if they see it as replacing bronze.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig seems to have been really pushing copper as a snare material in the last few years. I wonder if they see it as replacing bronze.
Maybe. But Copper sound is not as warm as bronze. It’s nice but different.

KingLudwig

Reaction score
Wow......glad I have my arsenal.........Hey Ludwig, big mistake, HUGE.......

And I note that in 2021 part of their "new lineup" is copper and brass 10 lug Acro's????? Or as they are otherwise known, Supra's with bow tie lugs! ???????

Look @the price point & shell thickness. They are definitely Supras in Acrolite clothing.

Vicey

Reaction score
Maybe. But Copper sound is not as warm as bronze. It’s nice but different.
I'm sure their reasons are more economic than musical. It just seems that copper has been the hip new metal for snares for awhile now, and they're doubling down with the new copper acro in addition to the copperphonic. They're either ceding bronze snares to the other companies, or we will soon see the bronze acro and/or Bronze Magic.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look @the price point & shell thickness. They are definitely Supras in Acrolite clothing.
From what I understand the Acros have a 1mm-thick shell while Supras have a 1.2mm-thick shell.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they will reverse their decision and bring these wonderful drums back soon. I foolishly sold a late 80's 6.5x14 hammered drum that I owned..... Waited almost 30 years and went on a quest. Wound up with three different drums 5x14 smooth with tube lugs and a 6.5 x14 hammered and a 3x13 hammered B stock piccolo ......I was blessed to find extremely fantastic pricing on the forum here twice and the piccolo was am eBay grab for $200. Some day I will add the 8 inch model. Amazing drums.....