No flange hoops

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So most my snare drums have die cast hoops. They’ve always been my favorite but as of late I’ve been looking at a lot of no flange hoops (the ones with small claws). So those with no flange hoops what do you love about them?

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I didnt go that route when I replaced all my flange hoops, I went wood hoops which I found to be a nice balance between die-cast and flanged. The claws of the no flange hoops put me off somewhat .....

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a WorldMax NOB 7x13 in their "vintage" fit-out, which is tube lugs + single flanged brass hoops w/ claws.

Pros:
- wide open, ringing rimshots. not "crack", but a musical, throaty resonance
- feel very soft under the hands. it's a joy to play, which isn't always the case with me and 13" drums

Cons:
- cross-stick is anemic. I had to add a groove wedge to do any kind of cross-stick on this drum

Here's a video of it (poor quality, but you get the general idea of the sound of the drum from it):
http://instagr.am/p/CCpVxqbDy6c/
With the groove wedge on this drum (the black one from the Yamaha 12" Musashi Oak), I used this as my main drum (live and studio) for my rock band for a long time -- with that addition, it's a remarkably versatile drum, especially for the price.

Last edited:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a WorldMax NOB 7x13 in their "vintage" fit-out, which is tube lugs + single flanged brass hoops w/ claws.

Pros:
- feel very soft under the hands. it's a joy to play, which isn't always the case with me and 13" drums

Cons:
- cross-stick is anemic. I had to add a groove wedge to do any kind of cross-stick on this drum

Good info. I've considered them but play a lot of cross-stick so probably not for me. I do have one snare with yamaha style wood hoops and the cross-stick is great! The others all have triple flange 2.3's except on an older 400 that I believe have 1.6

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I didnt go that route when I replaced all my flange hoops, I went wood hoops which I found to be a nice balance between die-cast and flanged. The claws of the no flange hoops put me off somewhat .....
I must ask how do wood hoops hold up against hard rimshots? I’ve always wanted them but scared to break them.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Pros:

Cons:

Here's a video of it (poor quality, but you get the general idea of the sound of the drum from it):
http://instagr.am/p/CCpVxqbDy6c/
With the groove wedge on this drum (the black one from the Yamaha 12" Musashi Oak), I used this as my main drum (live and studio) for my rock band for a long time -- with that addition, it's a remarkably versatile drum, especially for the price.
Sounds like I might like them. Minus the crossstick guess I could always sub a jam block for the couple songs I play with cross stick.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I must ask how do wood hoops hold up against hard rimshots? I’ve always wanted them but scared to break them.
I play jazz so rim shots are few and far between for me personally but drummers like Steve Jordan used them and played a lot of rim shots. But I guess he can afford to replace them whenever he wants :).