No more brown sound. Bright and lively!

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are many many many options out there for satisfying our Echo Canyon jones and delivering a calm, thuddy Fleetwood Mac sound. TONS!

But what if I wanted something with LOTS of overtones, decay and brightness? Something fast moving and....athletic. A little out of control even?

What drum lines should I be looking at?

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest the Yamaha or a Pearl steel... but, if you really want thin, I'd go with a ten-lug Taiwan snare.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To clarify, I mean whole kits. Kicks and toms. I have some pretty expressive snares already. Thanks!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
^^^BINGO!^^^

I will alter Bongo's answer slightly and suggest a dotted head, which is also single ply.
Pull it up a bit tight (I like 1.5-2 turns).
Make sure you hit the dot. It will increase the presence of the attack and give the drum an overall brighter sound.
Sharp double 45 degree edge will allow those heads to SING, baby!
On the underside, I like a clear Ambassador for this scenario.
For a wood type, I like Oak in this case. Maple could work too, but it will have a bit more warmth to it.
Make sure the shells are fairly thick.

Elvis

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
But what if I wanted something with LOTS of overtones, decay and brightness? Something fast moving and....athletic. A little out of control even?

What drum lines should I be looking at?
Like playing with nitroglycerin
late model USA Gretsch Custom small sizes.
Skip out on the g Snare and plug in the Ludwig snare of your choice.
.done. fini.

Last edited:

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Check out early 90s Peter Erskine videos: Yamaha Recording with what looks and sounds like clear Ambassadors.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know what you're playing on now, but I think it's a less a matter of what drum maker you chose than it is a matter of the quality of bearing edges, heads (single ply coated or clear will afford a bit more bark or clang than will a 2 ply dotted head), and how one tunes (tune to make the drum sing). You might be surprised at what's possible with a little time spent tuning and making sure the edges are right and your shells are in round.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know what you're playing on now, but I think it's a less a matter of what drum maker you chose than it is a matter of the quality of bearing edges, heads (single ply coated or clear will afford a bit more bark or clang than will a 2 ply dotted head), and how one tunes (tune to make the drum sing). You might be surprised at what's possible with a little time spent tuning and making sure the edges are right and your shells are in round.

Of course, if you absolutely have to buy something else, I have a few higher end kits, with great edges and sonority, that I could move....

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have three words...........Fie...........Ber............Glass! Blaemire/Jenkins Martin +1 on the Granstars also.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not old drums. Not mahogany drums.

New drums. For sure. Birch shells. Single ply clear heads.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Trick aluminum; Premier UK Genista (birch); Remo Mastertouch; Gretsch w/ concert toms (a la Phil); WorldMax brass; timbale toms. And anything that will give you the Simon Phillips sound...thin shells, sharp edges, clear single-ply heads.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually, you could probably throw clear Ambs on just about anything and get a much livelier sound.