No Spoilers -- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I worked hard to avoid having Quentin Tarantino's movie spoiled by reviews or Internet chatter before I saw it last night.

As someone who has enjoyed all of QT's films and would appreciate just about any movie about 1960s Hollywood, I loved this movie (9/10), though I understand some of the criticisms of it.

One of the high points is the music. I'll just list a sampling:

Treat Her Right - Roy Head & the Traits

Ramblin' Gamblin' Man - The Bob Seger System

Hush - Deep Purple

Son of a Loving Man - Buchanan Brothers

Good Thing - Paul Revere and the Raiders

Choo Choo Train - The Box Tops

Jenny Take a Ride - Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels.

Bonzo442

Reaction score
3 out 4 stars with potential for 4 if not as drawn out on character development. Would I watch it again? He’ll yeah if not just for the great ending and music, time period in so cal very cool.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen the movie yet........as much as I love QT and I am a native Angelino......
but I am sure I will soon.......

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love his films and will see this one soon. My grandparents owned the Rector Hotel on Hollywood Blvd at Western Ave. (5447 Hollywood Blvd.) from the early 30s to the mid 60s and Hollywood was always my stomping grounds. WE used to live in a Hollywood bungalow next to the hotel when I was young and I still have fond memories of growing up in the area. Especially when I was old enough to go to Shelly's Manne-hole on Cahuenga when I was in high school.

hotelrector1931.jpg
hotelrector1950s.jpg

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jackie Brown was a great film .

I prefer Oliver Stone for impact cinema .

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I love his films and will see this one soon. My grandparents owned the Rector Hotel on Hollywood Blvd at Western Ave. (5447 Hollywood Blvd.) from the early 30s to the mid 60s and Hollywood was always my stomping grounds. WE used to live in a Hollywood bungalow next to the hotel when I was young and I still have fond memories of growing up in the area. Especially when I was old enough to go to Shelly's Manne-hole on Cahuenga when I was in high school.

View attachment 405491
TRUE OT FACT. I used to live in a house that was built around one of the LA Red Cars as seen in this pic. The car was brought to San Diego as part of a plan to build a hotel, but plans fell through. So we had a house that had the full trolley car right though the center. The car held the dining room with original lighting still intact, and a small bedroom at each end. The side between the living room and dining room was wide open with a half wall left intact. The front of the car protruded to make a bay window. Originally, the headlamp was intact and hooked up, but a refinance by the previous owners caused them to cover the car skin with a facade. The trucks and wheels were still intact in the crawl space. To go from the living room to the kitchen, you had to go up and then down a few steps to go though the car. The bedroom doors were the original sliding doors that were connected by a cable, so when you opened one side, they both opened like an elevator. The elevated dining room gave the effect of having a sunken living room. The house was about 3000 square feet for just my wife and I, in our late 20's. 2+ acres as well. Wish I still lived there.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
These are cool LA stories....and Tarantino made this movie mostly as a love letter to the LA he grew up in, as well as the TV and movies he grew up watching.

bkny110

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
TRUE OT FACT. I used to live in a house that was built around one of the LA Red Cars as seen in this pic. The car was brought to San Diego as part of a plan to build a hotel, but plans fell through. So we had a house that had the full trolley car right though the center. The car held the dining room with original lighting still intact, and a small bedroom at each end. The side between the living room and dining room was wide open with a half wall left intact. The front of the car protruded to make a bay window. Originally, the headlamp was intact and hooked up, but a refinance by the previous owners caused them to cover the car skin with a facade. The trucks and wheels were still intact in the crawl space. To go from the living room to the kitchen, you had to go up and then down a few steps to go though the car. The bedroom doors were the original sliding doors that were connected by a cable, so when you opened one side, they both opened like an elevator. The elevated dining room gave the effect of having a sunken living room. The house was about 3000 square feet for just my wife and I, in our late 20's. 2+ acres as well. Wish I still lived there.
WOW!!! That is crazy cool!!!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score

View attachment 405490View attachment 405491
There is a very good Bill Evans album that was recorded there in the early 60's. Chuck Israels tells the story of how the whole thing came about, in the liner notes.
If you're unaware and interested, check it out. You won't be sorry...

1565217161329.png

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Great music, scenery, acting, but it dragged in places and you could cut 30 minutes of this movie easily.

dale w miller

Reaction score

View attachment 405490View attachment 405491
My friend lived in an old hotel on Cahenga for years. He told me it was once used by a ton of movie stars, but I cannot remember who they were. I wonder if it’s the same place.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My friend lived in an old hotel on Cahenga for years. He told me it was once used by a ton of movie stars, but I cannot remember who they were. I wonder if it’s the same place.
Probably not. The Hotel Rector was pretty far east of Cahuenga, at Western. But the Rector was built in the 1920s as a residential hotel for actors. Rooms: $2.75 per day. My grandparents bought and ran it beginning in the early 1930s and it was a residential hotel until they sold it. Lots of similar hotels all over Hollywood in the 30s and many of them are still there. The Rector was too expensive to upgrade to current earthquake standards and was finally torn down and the location was redeveloped as commercial space over a subway stop.