Noble and Cooley - Walnut or Tulip

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
since I sold the Brady - N&C are on my radar - besides Maple, what do you like?

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like my CD Maple a lot, but my 4.75" x 14" Alloy Classic is outstanding. You can find some solid deals on them used too.

From the videos I've seen the Tulip snares sound incredible.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which N&C were you thinking about?
I know the SS Maple 14x 3 7/8 is the loudest snare drum you'll ever own.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Which N&C were you thinking about?
I know the SS Maple 14x 3 7/8 is the loudest snare drum you'll ever own.
I've definitely been told to lighten up on the rimshots with my 14" x 6.5 CD Maple.

It's actually the virgin voyage of my alloy at a gig tonight. I'm excited to see how it does.

J

jaymandude

I don't know about Noble and Cooley. But I've only had deeper wood drums, and generally played brass drums and wanted a 5 or 5.5 wood drum. So about a year or so ago I played a few on trip to NYC at Maxwells and bought a 5.5 Craviotto walnut with a BB top and 45 bottom. I love this drum and use it for almost everything I do lately. It tunes up or down, I can get just about everything I need out of it. My 2 deeper wood drums are maple and don't know of I hear much difference, "maybe" the maple is a touch brighter. But this Craviotto walnut really is a great drum.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
The Walnut N&C, whether it is the ply version or the solid shell, is excellent. Very responsive with lots of tone. They shine at low tunings, but also sounds excellent tuned up high. I have a walnut solid shell piccolo, and I prefer it at lower tunings.

I have owned the 5x14 solid shell tulip as well (RickP has it now). I found it to be quite like the maple, but "wider" - a more full tone. Hard to describe. Bottom line is the tulip is very versatile and can be used in any style of music. The walnut is special indeed, but maybe not quite as versatile.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a N&C SS Walnut 6x14.
Phenomenal snare. Unbelievable versatility and sensitivity. From a whisper to a roar ... it performs.

I can't speak to the Tulip. Never owned one.

I will say, the N&C SS piccolo snares have my interest. Not sure what my SS wood choice will be, but they are sweeeeet drums. I don't currently own a piccolo ... soooooo ... ... ...

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I own the. SS in Maple, now I want the Tulip. I’m pretty sure of all the New England hardwoods they had to choose from it was Tulip they choose for their Civil War snare drums.

Also when DCP posted that video on the SS Ludwig that N&C built the shell for they said Tulip sounded the best.

Last edited:

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I own a N&C SS Walnut 6x14.
Phenomenal snare. Unbelievable versatility and sensitivity. From a whisper to a roar ... it performs.

I can't speak to the Tulip. Never owned one.

I will say, the N&C SS piccolo snares have my interest. Not sure what my SS wood choice will be, but they are sweeeeet drums. I don't currently own a piccolo ... soooooo ... ... ...
I have not played the 6x14 SS Walnut, but a friend of mine owns one and says it is magical. I do not doubt that at all.

I love the piccolos as well. Personally, I find them harder to tune (not sure why, maybe the shallow depth?). They are not one dimensional, that’s for sure. If you decide you want a walnut piccolo, let me know - I may be willing to part with mine.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that the tulipwood N&C are bending are not from Brazil.
This is the Brazillian tulipwood snare I built 20+ years ago. It smells like tulips when cut and is very musical. Even the cut-offs had a musical tone when dropped (accidentally) on the floor...

The wood N&C bend is grown within a few miles from their facility.
It’s the same species of trees they used during the Civil War to build drums for the soldiers.
Pretty cool history. They’ve been doing this for a while.

Dan Dakabin Drums

Reaction score
Reviving this in light of the new Union Series tulip drums made by NC. They sound fabulous and Nick Buda gives them a very good review on YT. I trust his assessment. So much so that I jumped on a tulip snare (presently in transit to my studio) and am seriously considering the a new tulip kit. I do have other NC gear and know the level of craftsmanship in their work, but I have never before bought any snare without playing first. That is how sure of tulip I am...

Anyone with new tulip news? Or walnut?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
100% get the Black Walnut from N&C. Those drums sound incredible and when you put that gorgeous gloss finish on that Black Walnut...that's a recipe for awesome drums. Seriously, those drums sound incredible.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If and when gigs start coming back a 7x14 tulip N&C is on my radar.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My best friend recently bought a Noble & Cooley SS Walnut 3 7/8" x 14", it is a GREAT sounding drum.

1605641918766.png

I've not played any of their tulip wood offerings, I'm very curious. Seriously though, I've yet to play a N & C drum that wasn't wonderful.

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to choose between Walnut and Tulipwood my choice would be walnut . Walnut is rich , warm and articulate sounding. This is no slight on Tulipwood - it is an excellent word for snares . I personally prefer Tulipwood in deeper snares than shallower models . Tulip has a very thick note , very fat and warm sounding .

My preferences in order are :
Walnut
Maple
Beech
Tulipwood
Ash
Birch
Oak

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note they have some web specials up:

I've had a CD maple kit for like 20 years now, but often fantasize about getting one of their Walnut kits. Their SS walnut shells are stunning.