Noble & Cooley 14x7 Classic Maple

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
I'd like some input, please. Some time ago, I bought my first single ply snare drum, a Premier Modern Classic 14x5 Maple 8-lugger, with a Craviotto shell. This opened my eyes for single ply drums.

I am now selling off some stuff and am quite curious to try a N&C 14x7 Classic Maple. I love maple in snare drums, and I thought the 45 degree edges, 10 lugs and deeper shelll would make a fantastic complement to the Craviotto.

I have read up on the internet about NC and found that I would go with triple flanged hoops, not the current WorldMax die casts.

I have two concerns:

1) The single point lugs seem a little odd. I assume that you have to be careful when tensioning these drums, and not tension one head all the way up at a time as you do with more traditional designs. Is this correct?
2) The strainer seems mighty odd, with how the wire strings are attached inside the throw-off design. Is this a problem? I have found varying views on these strainers on the internet.

I attach a pic of my fabulous Premier Craviotto.

Any other comments on the NC are welcomed. I should add, that I live in Sweden, and there is no way for me to see and try out these drums beforehand.

Stay safe in the pandemic,

/Magnus

Attachments

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hello, MagnusNordén-- are you Magnus from Cymbalholic? I have been in your lovely city and wish I could come back right now. It's an amazing place.

Anyway, I've had the 14x7 SS Classic Maple for the last few years, so I think I can respond to your questions. I should start by saying this: It is by far my favorite snare drum I've owned, and it's been sort of hard to take any other drums onto the gig since I bought it even though I have some very nice drums!

1. The tuning situation is very, very stable. I have never once worried about it after the first time I saw it. It's sturdy and works very smoothly.

2. The strainer is hand made at the Noble and Cooley factory and is quite good and stable. Really, apart from the manufacturing process, it's not all that different in principle from any number of strainers.

If you want me to make and post video of anything about the drum, including how the strainer functions, let me know. I'm happy to help and have got all the time in the world since I'm quarantined!

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have owned several N&C SS snares including the 7” maple. I sold them all, not because they were not great sounding snares, the certainly were, but because I sold off half of my drum gear and focused my snare collection of vintage Tama, which is my true love.....though, those can be both tricky and problematic also.

I think both of your concerns are valid. Single point lugs can and do put asymmetric pressure on a shell when one head only is removed or even when you have significant tuning tension difference between batter and reso and remember, that lug is mounted to the thin part of a N&C shell which has re-rings.

Having said that; I think N&C mitigates this by the long tubes coming out of that single point which stabilizes the whole system.

The throw off on those snares are wonky in my opinion. I think they look very cool indeed but it takes some patience to get them dialed in with the wires. My only real issue with them is that to disengage the wires that paddle throw has to be flipped 180 degrees so that it is hanging straight down. So think about that, if you are a player that likes to switch his snare wires on and off and you have a snare like the Tama Mastercraft which just has a lever that switches back and forth, easy peasie. No you are working with a snare that has a paddle with a 4”-4-1/2” arc that has to be flipped 180 degrees to accomplish the same effect.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd like some input, please. Some time ago, I bought my first single ply snare drum, a Premier Modern Classic 14x5 Maple 8-lugger, with a Craviotto shell. This opened my eyes for single ply drums.

I am now selling off some stuff and am quite curious to try a N&C 14x7 Classic Maple. I love maple in snare drums, and I thought the 45 degree edges, 10 lugs and deeper shelll would make a fantastic complement to the Craviotto.

I have read up on the internet about NC and found that I would go with triple flanged hoops, not the current WorldMax die casts.

I have two concerns:

1) The single point lugs seem a little odd. I assume that you have to be careful when tensioning these drums, and not tension one head all the way up at a time as you do with more traditional designs. Is this correct?
2) The strainer seems mighty odd, with how the wire strings are attached inside the throw-off design. Is this a problem? I have found varying views on these strainers on the internet.

I attach a pic of my fabulous Premier Craviotto.

Any other comments on the NC are welcomed. I should add, that I live in Sweden, and there is no way for me to see and try out these drums beforehand.

Stay safe in the pandemic,

/Magnus
I have new 14" x 6" maple and vintage 14" x 3,75" maple in my practice room in Årsta industriområdet of you want to come and try them out your self.
Also got some Funch Cymbals if you're into handmade rides.

Let me know what you're selling, who know, I might be interested.

IMG_20191207_114116_20191207155630178.jpg
IMG_20191010_142306_20200516131428859.jpg

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I am biased as Noble and Cooley are by far my favourite drum manufacturer . The Maple SS is a Classic snare drum that was designed in association with the great Bob Gatzen . They are made from locally sourced ( less than 20 miles from the factory) wood using ancient steam bending machinery . This is all common knowledge .
Nacci makes some good observations but none of these are dealbreakers for be honest .
One thing about the single point lugs is that you need to back out the resonant side heads tension before your remove the tip Head for head changes . N&C explains this on the tag that is included with the drums .

I personally prefer the sound of the N&C drums with the triple flange hoops to any diecast hoops . I like the more open resonant tone with triple flange hoops .
The Maple SS is available in a near unlimited selection of lacquer finishes and they are all done by the owner Jay Jones . Nick Jones does all the bearing edges and drilling and assembly .

Send me a PM if you have any additional questions on N&C

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
Hi all, and thanks for replying so quickly.

Neal, yes that is me. Stockholm is lovely this time of year, but it is quite cold still. And the pandemic is no fun here, either, though the lockdown is less complete than in most other countries. When did you visit?

Thanks for assuring me about my two questions. It is great that you like the Classic so much. I know that feeling! Also, thanks for offering to make videos. I will let you know if I have any other questions.

Nacci, thanks for explaining so well the potential drawback with the throw-off. I set my drums up so that I have the strainer pointing towards my belly, so space won't be an issue for me. I really like the plastic Nickelworks strainer on my Premier Craviotto, but I will probably come to grips with the N&C.

Markkuliini,

Thanks for your extremely kind offer to try your drums out. Considering the present corona situation, I will refrain for now. But I really appreciate it. You are not selling those drums, though, are you? They are beautiful!

I am selling an Acrolite (it's getting picked up tomorrow), a 20" Mikael Z Tribute ride, a Pearl 14x5 Sensitone Premium Maple snare drum, and a 22, 13, 14, 16 Sonor Phonic kit in oak veneer. I have some other stuff that I may shed, too, but haven't decided on yet.

All the best to you all,

Magnus

Last edited:

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
NobleCooleyNut,

Thank you so much for explaining about the lugs. The inclusion of instructions is really helpful. I will be careful when changing batter heads.

I agree about triple flange hoops vs die cast, but considered going die cast on this just for variation - until I read that N&C don't source their own die casts anymore but uses WorldMax. I generally don't even like die casts, so triple flange will be perfect.

The only seller in Europe that offers Noble & Coley that I know of is Thomann. Their selection of finishes is limited, but I think the clear gloss will be fantastic.

/Magnus

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have new 14" x 6" maple and vintage 14" x 3,75" maple in my practice room in Årsta industriområdet of you want to come and try them out your self.
Also got some Funch Cymbals if you're into handmade rides
View attachment 441807 View attachment 441808
NobleCooleyNut,

Thank you so much for explaining about the lugs. The inclusion of instructions is really helpful. I will be careful when changing batter heads.

I agree about triple flange hoops vs die cast, but considered going die cast on this just for variation - until I read that N&C don't source their own die casts anymore but uses WorldMax. I generally don't even like die casts, so triple flange will be perfect.

The only seller in Europe that offers Noble & Coley that I know of is Thomann. Their selection of finishes is limited, but I think the clear gloss will be fantastic.

/Magnus
Magnus, l'll send you a pm through Facebook's Messenger. By the way there's a drumshop in UK called Drumazon, and they also have Noble and Cooley.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Back in 1988 I bought a classic SS 3.75x14” and a friend of mine bought the other N&C drum in the shop, a 7x14 SS. I really regretted not having bought the 7” since it truly is a great drum. My friend still has his and it’s still the drum he uses the most. No issues ever regarding the strainer or lugs.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
I had a 7X14 N&C for awhile, but sold it because it simply over powered my kit. Now I have a single ply Slingy Artist 5.5X14 which I find to be more versatile.

owr

Reaction score
I'll just echo what some others have said - I've owned a 5" SS with die cast hoops for almost 20 years, it is by far the most stable tension drum I've ever owned. It once didn't come out of its bag for a good 4 years, when I got my 6.5 " deep Craviotto and dedicated myself to it, and after playing basically nothing but my SS for cloes to 10 years. I took it our of the bag, threw it up on a snare stand, didn't touch a lug, it sounded great. Their snare drums are spectacular, I think an easy contender for "best" (whatever that means) solid shell snare company out there.

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
I had a 7X14 N&C for awhile, but sold it because it simply over powered my kit. Now I have a single ply Slingy Artist 5.5X14 which I find to be more versatile.
I am sorry to hear that about the NC. I guess my Premier Craviotto is more like your Slingy, perhaps, or at least a Radio King. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up.

/Magnus

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
owr, that sounds very promising. I think I am a bit like you in how you dedicate yourself to one drum at a time. Thankfully, I use different drums in different setups, so hopefully my Premier Craviotto won't be bagged if I do get that deep NC.

/Magnus

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all, and thanks for replying so quickly.

Neal, yes that is me. Stockholm is lovely this time of year, but it is quite cold still. And the pandemic is no fun here, either, though the lockdown is less complete than in most other countries. When did you visit?

Thanks for assuring me about my two questions. It is great that you like the Classic so much. I know that feeling! Also, thanks for offering to make videos. I will let you know if I have any other questions.

Magnus
I was in Sweden with my wife and son in the summer of 2017. We spent all of our time in Stockholm and loved it. We did mostly tourist things and I went to Hellstone. I still wish I'd gotten those Brian Blade stick/mallets they sell. I tried to get a set after I got home but couldn't work out the payment.

BTW, in case you didn't figure this out, I was National Endowment over on Cymbalholic.

I'd echo what Rick said about the triple flanged hoops. The thing about the drum that I think might be experienced as overpowering is that it remains full sounding no matter how hard you hit it. So, if you hit hard, it just comes right along with you and keeps its fullness. But I routinely use it on jazz duo gigs and it is as sensitive as can be. It's just a great drum for anything and the experience of playing it is so nice.

I've owned a bunch of N&C snares and I have never had any trouble getting things with the strainer and snares set up quickly and to my liking. What Nacci says about the 180 degree drop off is true, of course, but that's more a taste thing than anything. I don't mind it.

You really can't go wrong with them, even with the ply drums. I've never heard a bad or even a mediocre one and I've heard a bunch of them.

Last edited:

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
Neal, yes, i remember you well from Cymbalholic, I even believe I gave you some tips for your trip (am I correct?).

If you'd like, I could check up on those Blade mallets. I am not familiar with them. P&p from Sweden to the US will not be cheap, though. Let me know, I'd be happy to help (only thing right now, is that I don't go into town a lot due to the pandemic. But I can call them etc, and eventually I will be going in again).

Very useful information re the sound level of the drum. Jazz duo - that is nice!

Unfunnily, however, when I checked Thomann yesterday, the availability for this drum said that it would be back in stock again in 3-5 days. Today, it says 5-7 weeks!!! I have emailed them to ask which is right...

/Magnus

gbow

Reaction score
Here's my 1991 N&C SS 14x7. Easily one of, best snares I own. I have several custom made stave snares that are equal, but none better.

As others have said, it retains tuning better than just about anything I own. It also is very versatile, sounds great tuned way down low for that "fat snare" or cranked to Stewart Copeland territory.

Another benefit is the great support from N&C. When I first purchased mine (used), I sent an email to N&C asking about information they might have. They were so nice, responding with when it was built, what store it was originally sent to, when it was originally purchased, and that is was originally sold as part of a kit with all the kit specs. Just a great company.

I also own a full Horizon set that is my primary kit of 6 kits I currently use.

gabo

Attachments