Non Drill Shell Mount Cymbal Holder

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
This was an idea I came up with in response to this previous thread. Prplmoo2112 was looking for a way to mount a cymbal on a bass drum without drilling it or using a boom stand. This idea suddenly hit me and while describing it to him realized how slick it would work to mount my own ride cymbals on "virgin" bass drums. I certainly can't say that I'm the first person to come up with this but I haven't seen nor heard of anyone doing this before.

The set up consists of five main parts. Two of the new style DW claw style hoop mounts, a half inch diameter tube (mine is salvaged from an old cymbal boom arm but you could just buy some cheap 1/2" solid steel rod from the hardware store), A short DW "Dogbone", and a cut down cymbal arm with tilter (in this case it's a Gibraltar but at some point I'd like to replace it with the shortest DW equivalent). The two claw brackets are mounted, one on each hoop directly across from each other on the bass drum. The tube with the dogbone clamped to it slips in, one end at a time, to the two brackets, spanning across and above the drum's shell. The short cymbal arm slips into the dogbone and wallah! Instant cymbal arm.

The beauty of this is that cymbal positioning remains very flexible. The claws can mount anywhere on the hoop that isn't occupied by the tuning rods/claws and the dogbone can be positioned anywhere along the cross tube/rod (front to back from the drummer's perspective). That's what somewhat deters me from just drilling for a bracket...besides the hit you'll take on the potential resale of the drum (those dreaded extra holes) unless you perfectly duplicate a factory install, you also run the risk of not getting the bracket in the exact spot you want it without doing a whole lot of pre-drill measuring and figuring. Even then you may find at some future date that you'd prefer a different location or perhaps you switch from a 20" ride to a 22" or 24" and it's now too close (or vice versa and it's too far away). This set-up lets you move things around at will with the only real limiting factor being other things attached to the shell (lugs) that may be in the way. I like my ride cymbal fairly low so I used the short dogbone and cut the arm down to be able to slide it completely into the short dogbone. I can raise the cymbal up about 6 inches higher than shown in the pictures (which is at the lowest setting). Obviously with a longer cymbal arm or even the longer dogbone a much higher cymbal position could be achieved. The arm can also be "boomed" and the dogbone can be angled as well so there is a lot of potential positioning flexibility there.

With the two DW claws the thing seems very sturdy and I think it will be every bit as secure as the boom stand I currently use. This device should allow me to leave that stand (A heavy Yamaha 900 series) at home. I believe with the two claws carrying the load that the stress imparted on the hoops will be negligible and I don't think the padded claws will do any serious damage to the hoops unless you get too carried away with tightening them. I wouldn't forsee it putting any more stress on the hoops than if you were bashing on a big cowbell mounted on one (the primary intended purpose for these claw brackets).

Cost adds up but not too bad. The claws sell for $20 each. I think the dogbone was around $35-$40, The cymbal arm I had but figure probably $30 for a DW. The cross rod would only be 4-5 bucks from the hardware store or if you wanted a chrome one fashioned out of an old 1/2" tube or rod of some sort (floor tom leg, boom arm, etc...cut to length). Probably figure around $100 total for this DW based setup. There are probably other alternatives from other companies that would work just as well for less. In fact I've added a couple of pictures of one alternative. This would use a Gibraltar model SC-CMBRA "Medium Cymbal Boom ratchet assembly". This is a short boom arm and tilter packaged with an appropriate small double ended clamp. This seems to work just as well as the dogbone but costs significantly less ($25 for the two Gibraltar parts). It doesn't look as cool but it is definitely as stable and also lighter. With the Gibraltar part and a salvaged (or hardware store) cross rod you could do this for about $70.

It would be pretty easy for DW to market this thing as a unit as it consists entirely of DW pre-existing parts. (DW Guys, just send me a set of Classic drums and the design is all yours :icon_smile: )

Anyway, I think it's pretty slick and figured I'd share it with anyone who might find it interesting. A buddy suggested I keep it a secret and try to get a patent but I don't think that's too practical and wouldn't be surprised if somebody already had one on something similar. It would be a lost cause anyway as I couldn't manufacture the parts even if I had the rights. It would all fall under existing arts anyway, especially since all the parts are DW.

Unfortunately I don't have any gigs coming up for quite a while but I'll probably stick this on my Mod Orange set and give it the acid test prior to trying it at a gig (although I don't forsee any problems). If I run into any snags I'll be sure to report them.

Here's a bunch of pictures which hopefully will demonstrate it far better than I can explain it....

whad'ya think?

Kevin

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i love seeing people coming up with stuff like that. well done ko. thats a great idea!! i'm sure you just inspired a few of us... :icon_smile:

mike

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought the drum hoop clamp and used an L arm cymbal mount for my 22" ride.
Worked wonderfully,not quite the amount of adjustment as KO's but plenty for me.
It was used on two different basses for 4 hour gigs,never a wiggle,right where I wanted it.
BUT,w/o KO's thread,I would of never had known DW made such a clamp!
Thanks KO!
Pat

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Pretty slick KO. I wonder, does it also serve to eliminate the hum typical of shell-mounted cymbal holders? I like them, but generally don't use them because they often cause troubles in BD mics. The vibration of the cymbal can travel down the rod into the shell-mounted clamp and sets up a roar. Seems like this system, because it contacts the hoops instead, might solve that issue. Yes?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pretty slick KO. I wonder, does it also serve to eliminate the hum typical of shell-mounted cymbal holders? I like them, but generally don't use them because they often cause troubles in BD mics. The vibration of the cymbal can travel down the rod into the shell-mounted clamp and sets up a roar. Seems like this system, because it contacts the hoops instead, might solve that issue. Yes?
Not sure on that but I would expect that a lot of those vibrations would get dissipated by the cross tube before getting to the hoops. I guess I'll find out eventually but I don't have a gig in a while and don't usually :icon_smile: mic my bass drums up at home.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought the drum hoop clamp and used an L arm cymbal mount for my 22" ride.
Worked wonderfully,not quite the amount of adjustment as KO's but plenty for me.
It was used on two different basses for 4 hour gigs,never a wiggle,right where I wanted it.
BUT,w/o KO's thread,I would of never had known DW made such a clamp!
Thanks KO!
Pat
Glad to help Pat, and it's good to hear that one of these clamps works so well because that means a pair of them ought to be rock solid. Do you clamp your single one to the front or rear hoop?

prplmoo2112

Reaction score
That looks great K.O.! That is exactly what I had in mind. Once I get some cash, Im doing the same thing.
One small thought.....where the DW clamps to the hoop, did that change the sound at all? Maybe Im just over thinking it a bit.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
One small thought.....where the DW clamps to the hoop, did that change the sound at all?
Not that I've noticed. The claw clamps between the bass hoop and the hoop of the head (not the shell) so any tension should be cancelled out rather than applied to the head.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm impressed, Kevin.Very smooth thinking. Two of those would make a dandy rail for a tom mount too. Thanks !! Benny K.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm impressed, Kevin.Very smooth thinking. Two of those would make a dandy rail for a tom mount too. Thanks !! Benny K.
Hadn't thought of that application but I'm sure it could be made to work

Den

DFO Master
Reaction score
i love seeing people coming up with stuff like that. well done ko. thats a great idea!! i'm sure you just inspired a few of us... :icon_smile:

mike
Really? I in fact just got up before reading all the responses and started looking at what I had laying around collecting dust! I may try something similar at Saturday's gig. I'll let you all know what I tried and if it works well. No time or money to go get the DW hardware though. I'll have to utilize what's on hand.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score

mike
Really? I in fact just got up before reading all the responses and started looking at what I had laying around collecting dust! I may try something similar at Saturday's gig. I'll let you all know what I tried and if it works well. No time or money to go get the DW hardware though. I'll have to utilize what's on hand.
I just used DW stuff because I had a dogbone laying around and I liked those claw hooks...but I think the basic concept could easily be adapted to other brands of hardware. Let us know how it works out and what you used. The DW stuff gets pricey so other options may be desirable for some.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just an update. I've been gigging with this set up for a few months now and it's working great. It puts the ride cymbal right where I want it, keeps it there all night and lets me leave a heavy boom stand home. The memory locks insure that the cymbal ends up in the exact same spot every time.

It's a pretty sweet setup, although it costs a bit to assemble all the parts. still I've put together three of these so far. It would be pretty easy for DW to package this as a complete unit...if only I could get a cut from the sales :icon_smile:

jimbo.s

Reaction score
A buddy suggested I keep it a secret and try to get a patent but I don't think that's too practical and wouldn't be surprised if somebody already had one on something similar.
I believe Joe Thompson patented a similar thing in the 50s/60s - The Rogers Wonderbar !
See http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/65000-rogers-wonderbar/ .
His patent may have run out, since that was really some time ago ??

Anyhow - Great application I really must say, thanks for sharing.

Bongo Congo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Brilliant, K.O.! You really ought to forward your design to DW. I bet they'd love to market it.

Clever, effective, and so simple that no one but a genius could have devised it! :notworthy:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
A buddy suggested I keep it a secret and try to get a patent but I don't think that's too practical and wouldn't be surprised if somebody already had one on something similar.
I believe Joe Thompson patented a similar thing in the 50s/60s - The Rogers Wonderbar !
See http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/65000-rogers-wonderbar/ .
His patent may have run out, since that was really some time ago ??

Anyhow - Great application I really must say, thanks for sharing.
Someone posted a picture of a Rogers set somewhere within the last couple of weeks that had the wonderbar on it. I had never seen one before and when I saw it my first thought was "Well there it is, the original"...although I wouldn't be too surprised if someone had devised something similar even earlier than that.

Latest posts