header.nohb.html

Non-drummer drummers appreciation

bdlp_r

Reaction score
I enjoy getting inspiration from all drumming styles and sources and recently I've been very interested in listening to non-drummers who play the drums and actually do a good job at it. Definitely NOT a source for technical chops or coordination but to me an interesting source for phrasing, musicality and composition by people who are not considered usually to be drummers. I like listening to the little quirks and strange note placements of these kinds of players. Either by accident or design, they end up with interesting drumming.

I'll list a few and hopefully some interesting names and examples can pop up:
Stevie Wonder: pretty much the gold standard for this
Paul McCartney
Jack Stratton / Theo Katzman
Prince
Jonny Greenwood
Trent Reznor

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
So many song writers play the drums on their demos. Unfortunately, we don’t get to hear those unless we buy the big boxed sets with bonus material. I love hearing non-drummers play drums as they have a fresher approach.

bdlp_r

Reaction score
I love hearing non-drummers play drums as they have a fresher approach.
right! they're not just playing whatever rote stuff they have.. or what they're "supposed" to play... it's free-er composition in a way. Interesting when the non-dummer drumming version actually ends up being the released version which is the case for the artists I mentioned.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
right! they're not just playing whatever rote stuff they have.. or what they're "supposed" to play... it's free-er composition in a way. Interesting when the non-dummer drumming version actually ends up being the released version which is the case for the artists I mentioned.
Exactly!

Stevie Wonder has amazing feel and groove whenever he’s on the kit!

bdlp_r

Reaction score
Jack White. Although I think I read him saying he's a drummer first, but IDK. He's really good while being famous for playing guitar and signing.

And that @DamnSingerAlsoDrums guy. ;)
Jack white right! his drumming with the dead weather IS pretty decent, lots of syncopated playing. And Ludwig made him a super custom crazy-ass kit.

little rock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Chaka Khan should be great; she was married to Russ Kunkle for a while.