Non drummer here... All round snare drums? Cheap? Do they exist!?

RJrules64

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Non-Drummer here... Looking for a snare drum.
Long story short, I'm recording an album, and my brother is drumming on it. He's a decent drummer, but he only has a DW PDP mainstage kit, with the stock snare. He doesn't really care enough about drumming to upgrade the kit he only uses for practising.
His kit actually sounds pretty good, bar the snare drum, which sounds horrible! I would like to buy him a snare drum to replace it so that I get decent sounds on my record. I don't really want to spend more than $350, so I'm looking second hand.
Being a non-drummer, I have no idea what I want! Could you guys give me a hand?
I'm looking for a bit of an all rounder that I will be able to EQ to make it work for different styles. I know that's not ideal, but I can't afford multiple snares, especially since I'm not even a drummer.
The current album is Pop Rock, but we will also be recording Folk, Prog/hard/alternative Rock in future, so it would be great if it can suit all those styles!

I've had a little read around, and I've learnt about Maple, Aluminium, Brass, etc., but every site reccomends something different as a good all rounder! It seems to be either maple or aluminium? If you could suggest some specific models I can get second hand for under $350, that would be ideal.

Thanks heaps!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
spend 25$ to a music store to tension it ( a few different ways) for you; it may not be that bad...

RJrules64

Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far guys! Keep it coming! :)
I have a basic understanding of Drum tuning, before one recording session I was tuning it for over an hour trying to get it perfect, but it still wasn't great. I'm not sure whether that says more about my tuning ability or the drum but yeah haha

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
tuning takes time for most ...

search this on YT: "how to make a crappy drum set sound good"

RJrules64

Reaction score
That's an awesome guide you posted! Bookmarked :p
Is that the YouTube video by Cobus? Love that guy, I saw that video a while ago :)
I believe the snare is an element that either makes or breaks a track, so I figure even if I learn to tune it well, it still won't be as good as a better drum that is also tuned well!

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above.

I own a 6.5x14 Ludwig Supra (Lud-A-Loy); these snares have been around ever since the beginning of time. Ludwig advertises then as the most recorded snare drum in history. Even new they are reasonably priced and it has a wide tuning range. I’ve owned mine since ’94 and like it so much I’m afraid to buy another snare. LOL!!

http://www.ludwig-drums.com/usasnares_supraphonic.php

If you are planning on recording as an ongoing thing and not too experienced at tuning I would recommend getting a Tune Bot electronic tuner but that will cost you another $100.00, well worth the cost in my book. I’m terrible at tuning.

Check eBay, maybe you can find a good used Supra.

sherm

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Get new heads for he kit all around including the snare, have someone who really knows how to tune the kit have a crack at it. If the snare is not happening either find someone that's willing to loan you a decent snare for recording or buy a used players condition ludwig acrolite or pitted supraphonic

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey RJ, Welcome to DFO! I was just reading this and wondering - what is the sound you're looking for? Open/ringy, dry/fat, etc.? A simple and inexpensive head change might get you where you want to be.

Also, stock or worn out heads can be horrible for sound and tuning. Also, don't forget the snare side head when tuning. A Remo Coated Ambassador batter head and some good tuning might be all you need for a well-rounded classic snare sound. Otherwise, I couldn't agree more with finding a used (preferably 60's) Ludwig Acrolite. That drum has the same shell as the more expensive Supraphonic minus the chrome.

drumstuff66

Reaction score
great advice all-around...+1 on the used Supra or Acro if recording drums will be an ongoing thing for you.

patrickwitherow

Reaction score
Supras are great all-around snares as others have stated. Great price point for the sound you get. MIne was ~$250 used and it's an LM400 model (5x14). I usually prefer deeper snares, but this guy is very versatile.

S

skinsman

Ludwig Supraphonic 400 or402 .....the most recorded drum in history. Used all day long at Music Go Round website for 2-300

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
i found my tuning got better when I used an Evans Torque drum key. I think it actually helped my ear too....and its cheaper than a tune bot.

Acros are good. Sometimes you can find a cheaper Ludwig Aluminum Standard. Slingerland and Premier made great drums and the used prices don't often reflect the quality.

dtk

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
ACROLITE - ABOUT $100-150.

THEN spend your remain budget on a variety of different heads and muffling items to change the sound.

Heads to get
1 ply coated (remo ambassador/evans G1)
2 ply coated (remo emperor/evans G2)
reverse dot heads (remo and evans both make these)

both a medium and a thin snare side head.

Muffles
Moongell
Gaffers Tape
remo rings

Do that and you should be able to record almost any style and get any sound you want out of a good 'ol acro and still be under budget.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
carl1969 said:
Get new heads for he kit all around including the snare, have someone who really knows how to tune the kit have a crack at it. If the snare is not happening either find someone that's willing to loan you a decent snare for recording or buy a used players condition ludwig acrolite or pitted supraphonic
Great advice!

Latest posts