Non-wooden drum stick suggestions.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what's out there on the market as an alternative to wooden drumsticks, due to the typical issues (warping, chipping, breaking, etc.).
I've seen the Aquarian composite sticks and the Ahead drumsticks.
What are your thoughts on those?
Are there other long lasting alternatives to wood sticks?

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen the Ahead sticks.
When I was young and very stupid I tried the Aquarian sticks.

SOMETHING HAS TO BREAK!
You are hitting things (drumheads and cymbals) with other things (drumsticks).

Eventually something has to give due to repetitive hitting whether it be the head, cymbal or stick.

Sticks are cheaper than heads.
Cymbals are really expensive and we are usually picky about our cymbal sounds so when they break it is no guarantee that we get the exact same sound when we replace them.

Stick (pun intended) with the wooden drumsticks.

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the ahead sticks myself. While I have a preference for wood in recording and performance aspects I've found some ahead sticks that are almost the exact same dimensions and taper as my regular sticks. I use them for a lot of practicing (on kit, on pad, and in a band) because they tend to have a lot less vibration that my bones have to soak up. I spend my 40 hours a week in a lab using the exact same muscles as I do to hold a stick so a little rest when it's not important for me to be nitpicky it's great for my hands to get a bit of a break. The plastic sleeves on the Ahead sticks are also more gentle on my cymbals than wooden sticks so I'm happy to run a lower chance of having any issues. The cross stick sound in the only place I feel like there's a distinct change in sound, just not the same as that good woody slap.

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep two different pair of aluminum Verisonic sticks in my stick bag. They are hollow tubes with a nylon tip at the front end and a nylon cap ring at the bottom. The lighter, thinner ones I use on jazz gigs and the bigger model I use on rock gigs. I get nice clean, clear articulation with the lighter model, especially on my flat ride. The larger rock model gets a lot of use usually in the later sets because it's very lightweight compared to its wood counterpart, which reduces some of the fatigue that sometimes sets in toward the end of an evening of pounding away. I also use it on and off during the evening when I want a deeper, fuller sound from the toms on specific songs. The only thing they really don't work for is cross-sticking or when you want to timbale-ize; otherwise, you can use them in any situation where you'd normally use a wood stick. At $18 a pop, they're not cheap, but they do last a long time. Some of mine have lasted 1 year+.

You can check out the company's propaganda here:

2020-08-22-011.JPG

2018-07-29-Kentmorr034.JPG

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maple.
what. they're the Cadillac of drumstick