Noob drum set advice needed

vittorio staffolani

Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm new to this forum, i just wanted to start playing drums but i don't know if i should start with a cheap drumset or an expensive one,i'm mainly looking to play ac/dc and hard rock related stuff,what's your advice?
Thanks in advance!!!

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
Go used and since you’re just starting I’d lay off the expensive stuff. But you can still find good sounding gear for cheap. Something like a Tama Swingstar or Pearl Forum and put new heads on. Then grab some older Zildjian A cymbals from the 70s or 80s.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here’s what you do, and I’ll bet lots of folks here would agree: buy a used Yamaha Stage Custom or a used Tama Superstar Classic or Tama Silverstar. These kits sound amazing and can be had for a few hundred dollars. Check guitar center used, Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. For cymbals, get used Zildjian A series, which should run you about $400 for a crash, ride and hi hats. There are budget Cymbal lines out there from all the major manufacturers but you will soon realize they usually sound inferior and have very low resale value. If you keep an eye out on this forum you could likely find all of the above, from reputable members here.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ah just realized you’re in Italy! Well, I’m sure the market there may be a bit different, but overall I agree with daveplaydrum to go used.

Krys

Reaction score
Buy used for sure, but not cheap, low end model so you can enjoy it for a while. Many people buy new low end sets ant those lose value the most and it's hard to resale them. Take your time and try to get a set with cymbals, but again avoid entry level cymbals. Good luck!

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First of all be safe. Sounds like the virus has been rough in Italy. When its safe find something used like people above suggest above. Glad to hear you are joining the drumming community

hoochymama

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hope your well, buy something of good quality USED if you can. If you buy a quality set you can play it for many, many years, and won't feel the need to upgrade. If you lose interest you will be able to sell it and get most/all/or lose a small amount. I have done this dozens of times myself and for students that I have taught, spend alittle more for a "real" kit and you can't go wrong if you don't over pay. There is
plenty of data you can research to see the cost of what things are selling for. Don't buy new there are so many used deals around, let the other guy pay the premium.

Latest posts