Noob drumhead question

MVE

Reaction score
Hello Matt the bass player back to ask for guidance from real drummers.

Thinking of getting new heads for my Tama swingstar 12, 13, 16.

Thinking of getting Diplomat skyntones for batter and evans reso 7 coated for bottoms.
Is there any reason these won’t go well together? Should I just get the remos for both sides?
I play very lightly and mostly trying to play jazzy stuff, but the kit will also get used by others playing harder rock and funk stuff.
Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.
Oh, kit is metallic blue with chrome hardware and Im not ashamed to admit that “looking cool” is actually major factor in my decision. ;) will the skyntones look silly on a “modern” looking kit?

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Skyntone are VERY thin heads. They’re also a very specific sound. I definitely wouldn’t recommend them for a general purpose kit used by harder players.

Reactions: MVE

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
If it were only played lightly then a thin head would be ok-ish on that particular kit. given what the kit is and what will be played on it I'd go for a 2ply kit. Remo Vintage ambassadors or similar.

MVE

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I play very lightly, thats why I thought thin single ply would be good for me.
If someone plays a little too hard on thin heads, will it just destroy them?

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I play very lightly, thats why I thought thin single ply would be good for me.
If someone plays a little too hard on thin heads, will it just destroy them?
Single-ply are fine. Skyntone are super thin, even by standards of single-ply heads.

To give you a comparison:

Remo Ambassador (Remo's "baseline" single ply head): 10 mil thick film
Remo Diplomat (Remo's "thin" single-ply head): 7.5 mil thick film
Skyntone: 5 mil thick film

So it's 1/2 the thickness of a standard single-ply head. The Skyntone does have a 3 mil fabric layer bonded to the head, but it's not providing much in terms of resiliency / strength to the head (but it does muffle the head a bit, to give the skyntone's characteristic sound)

At best, the head will wear out much more quickly than a thicker / more appropriate head
At worst, the head will pit badly, or even suffer a tear / failure.

Also worth mentioning: I absolutely _love_ the Skyntone heads, in the right context. I have them on my Ludwig classic oak kit, but I'm using that kit for wide-open tunings in modern folk / singer-songwriter playing. I'd never use them for my rock kit or my modern pop / cover band kit.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a set of 1985 no rering Imperialstars. Same shell as the Swingstar. Remo clear black dots on the top and Remo clear dips or 7mm Evans on the bottom sound great.

You say light playing try a clear dip on the top and bottom of your smallest tom to hear if you like it. You could also try a clear Ambassador on the top and clear dip on the bottom.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I play very lightly and mostly trying to play jazzy stuff, but the kit will also get used by others playing harder rock and funk stuff.
I would use coated Ambassadors on both sides. They are like the P- or J-Bass of drumheads, you can do anything with them. Famous for a reason.
If durability is an issue because of the other players, maybe go up in thickness for the batter side, but you will always lose sensitivity for low volume playing. Maybe Ambassador X or Evans G12 are a good compromise.
I used clear heads and Diplomts on the reso side, at the moment I prefer coated resos, they seem to make the batters sound better!

MVE

Reaction score
I definitely want coated heads (for vintage vibey looks). So it looks like I’ll get ambassadors top and bottom.
Is there a chance they will be too heavy for me?
Are the Vintage Ambassadors a little thinner? Might those be a better choice for tops?
Thank you all for your help!!!
Ive listened to the comparison videos on YT and frankly, they all pretty much sound the same to me. So, feel and response is much more important to me you all have much more experience with that. So, again, thank you.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I definitely want coated heads (for vintage vibey looks). So it looks like I’ll get ambassadors top and bottom.
Are the Vintage Ambassadors a little thinner? Might those be a better choice for tops?
Thank you all for your help!!!
Ive listened to the comparison videos on YT and frankly, they all pretty much sound the same to me. So, feel and response is much more important to me you all have much more experience with that. So, again, thank you.
Vintage Ambassadors are two-ply and very slightly thicker than the regular Ambassadors (regular Ambassador: 10mil ply; Vintage Ambassador: 7.5m ply and 3m ply)

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good choice. Some jazz drummers used Diplomats, but the majority has preferred 10mil.single ply heads, even for the lowest volume settings (Evans G1, Aquarian coated etc. have roughly the same specs as Ambassadors).

dyland

Reaction score
I've been using a Fiberskyn Diplomat as reso with a Coated P3 batter on my Rogers and it sounds great for both jazz and backbeat stuff. You can get a clear pitch fairly low for the rock and then bring both heads up for a knockier vintage sound and up even higher into bop tunings.

edit: This is for a bass drum, for some reason I missed that you were talking about toms. Whoops.

Last edited:

MVE

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
I got Evans Reso 7 for the bottom and G1s for the top.
Havent put them on yet, but I’ll definitely report back when I do.