North Drum Project

Kmartin

Reaction score
So, I just scored this complete set about three weeks ago. The 6" and 8" are in the resto phase but these are ready so I'd thought I'd share. I have all the original stuff with this kit and had toured with these in the 90's (in the stock configuration on the factory rack). I will add some photos of that later. After I had sold my original kit( which BTY was the exact same as this one, Love it!) I always wondered what it would be like to set these up in a more traditional manner so here it is and let me tell you it is a blast and of course has that unique North sound!

Attachments

webbmorth

Reaction score
Fantastic. I bought a black set in '81, 6 peice, sled rack,added a bass. Played gigs. retired, playin again. I love the comments they
get. I just purchased another set, "made in Italy",(not sure Y) thay need repainting & some parts to replace but I love a challenge.
Hope your having as much fun with them as I am.

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
I think those are well worth restoring , If you have the room and the money North has a place in the history of drums. Alan White of Yes played them and you can see them in the Tsongas show, and one of my favorite drummers played a kit locally at Kerwins music in Worcester cica 1984 in an apperance at the store, he was/is Sandy Gennero with the Pat Travers band, we have discussed that via email and he still remembers that, why because that strange drum kit. honestly im surprised they remember anything from that day, and im surprised I do as well. :)

Gary

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd have to sit with them awhile. Besides being gorgeous to look at, they look like they might effect how I'd play. The long and flared ended toms look like it forces the kick and hi hat further apart than you could have them with standard toms. I prefer double toms on stands between the hi hat and kick but the angles look like I'd need to get adjusted to the set up.

Thanks for sharing.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
If I played those, I would port the heads with those little Kickport deals and then drop bouncy balls into the holes, of course with each drum strategically aimed at a different band member.

Bonzoholic

Helluva Nice Guy
Reaction score
Dean said:
I think those are well worth restoring , If you have the room and the money North has a place in the history of drums. Alan White of Yes played them and you can see them in the Tsongas show, and one of my favorite drummers played a kit locally at Kerwins music in Worcester cica 1984 in an apperance at the store, he was/is Sandy Gennero with the Pat Travers band, we have discussed that via email and he still remembers that, why because that strange drum kit. honestly im surprised they remember anything from that day, and im surprised I do as well. :)

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
Bonzoholic said:
of course Alex too.

Kmartin

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the replies! Yes these drums are "So different" but even though I regularly play my Starclassics and Gretsch New Classics I still hit these up on a regular basis. Thanks to Roger North for creating something Different that creates tones you just can't get anywhere else! I have added some additional pics, one of the North's as they sit today, one of the 6" tom torn down so it can be prepped for refinish, and lastly a couple of my Starclassics (Yes, I have a cymbal problem, always have, so many sounds not enough room! LOL!).

Attachments

auto.pilot

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They would be tough to lug around, but I'd like to own a set of North drums some day.

jim

RUDEDOG

Reaction score
HEY WHATS UP CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE YOU CAN GET THE RUBBER TRIM RINGS ONE OF MINE DOESNT HAVE ONE SO I WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS THANKS ROCK ON MAN

acattoir

Reaction score
I was lamenting that I had sold my double Marathon kit (below).
north1.jpg
My quasi-restored Marathon kit in the desert, back in 2006.
I bought KMartin's (the author of this thread) North kit a little while ago.
I believe KMartin's kit was originally a North "Formula" ( 3 toms, polystyrene, made in Italy by MTI) then later two fiberglass toms were added 6 and 8.
Because of the mismatch I am making this the nicest "players" kit I can rather than call it a restoration.
I wanted a more substantial mount than the stock North (10,12,14) so I fabricated a bracket that allows the original mounting holes to be used with a mount that has different hole spacing, Gibraltar in this case.
DSCN0976.JPG
I've replaced the funky fasteners with black oxide, button top, hex drive, stainless steel. I think they pretty cool.
DSCN0981.JPG
I will use a Gibraltar rack with some more curve added, still waiting on some clamps to show up.
Evans EC-2 360 heads.
I've also done some badge replications but there were problems in the printing. They look very close though.
More images when the kit is upright. I also have some interesting micing designs in the works.
AC

Hans2112

Reaction score
I love the "sport" model kit you have. North fiends always gravitate to the full kits. Myself included. This gives me cause to maybe piece a kit together rather than spend a ton. Way cool